Feedback from recent Oosterdam cruisers please

chrismch

Just read the last 4 member reviews for this ship and all complained about the service on board (dining room, room service, embarkation and front desk)and the food being sub-par in the all restaurant choices.

I'll be on this ship next week, and I've sailed HAL several times. Has it really gone down that much since last year when I was on another one of their ships? Or is the ship staff burned out this time of year?

I would not worry one bit, especially at this point, you can't cancel and recover your investment. Reality is if there were credible and systemic problems the CC boards would light up. I have not personally read the reviews you are referring to, but if overly strong language (e.g., food was horrible, service terrible, etc) without a bone-fide commentary I would discount the review greatly. I'm on in two weeks so we are in the same boat.

PS I did go and read the less than three star reviews and there was commentary that did not makes sense, like the smallest cabins of any line, and value proposition to Disney HAL was overpriced, and citing a couple of recipe interpretations that the reviewer thought were wrong, I would not say the commentary holds water. The reviewer must have been comparing Caribbean sailing prices to Alaska, I did a few comparisons of HAL rates to DCL for similar sailings in AK, DCL was close to double HALs per diems for the same class of cabin. I'm untfazed by their commentary.

cruised to Alaska on the O in June -- Was it an above average cruise - nope - was it a very good cruise - it sure was -- good food - good service -- dinner a little slower but not bad or off by any means. read all reviews and average them LOL -- have a good time -- Alaska is amazing

Thanks for your positive thoughts. I just didn't like seeing a trend. I have always enjoyed being on any cruise, with only minor complaints. How bad can a cruise be if someone else is cleaning my room, cooking my meals and providing transportation while I get to enjoy the scenery?

I don't expect 5 star dining and 5 star service unless I'm on a luxury line. HAL is mass market and that's fine with me. I love the artwork on the ship as well as seeing what they're selling in the art auctions. As far as dining, I always look forward to the appetizers at dinner. I don't make them at home and rarely order them at restaurants so it's a treat for me.

I would not worry one bit, especially at this point, you can't cancel and recover your investment. Reality is if there were credible and systemic problems the CC boards would light up. I have not personally read the reviews you are referring to, but if overly strong language (e.g., food was horrible, service terrible, etc) without a bone-fide commentary I would discount the review greatly. I'm on in two weeks so we are in the same boat.

Hi BearInStPete - we'll be on the ship with you! My first HAL cruise and I'm very excited and know it will be fabulous!

Thanks for your positive thoughts. I just didn't like seeing a trend. I have always enjoyed being on any cruise, with only minor complaints. How bad can a cruise be if someone else is cleaning my room, cooking my meals and providing transportation while I get to enjoy the scenery?

I don't expect 5 star dining and 5 star service unless I'm on a luxury line. HAL is mass market and that's fine with me. I love the artwork on the ship as well as seeing what they're selling in the art auctions. As far as dining, I always look forward to the appetizers at dinner. I don't make them at home and rarely order them at restaurants so it's a treat for me.

Some people are pretentious and snobby and some seem like they are determined to have a horrible time no matter what. As for me - I'm ready to have a great time.

Hi BearInStPete - we'll be on the ship with you! My first HAL cruise and I'm very excited and know it will be fabulous!

Hi Kimbanite, say Hi on the ship if you like, unless we get changed will be in 8147. Message away if you need any pointers on HAL. Should be a great cruise.

John

We just did this cruise at the end of June. (In fact, we did it twice! B2B) Since this was our first HAL cruise, we can't compare it to the way it used to be. Our only cruise experiences were on Celebrity, and I was a little nervous trying HAL... but I was pleasantly surprised. In general, the service was excellent, the food in the MDR was very good, and of course, the scenery is GREAT! Relax, you'll have a great time!

I agree with you completely! We sail on the "O" in April 2015. I have also been reading the reviews and have been a little concerned. Can't wait to hear your impressions when you return. Hope you have a wonderful time. As has been previously said....Alaska is AMAZING!

Hi Kimbanite, say Hi on the ship if you like, unless we get changed will be in 8147. Message away if you need any pointers on HAL. Should be a great cruise.

John

Awesome - we're on the same deck - 8005. I may take you up on that! We're doing the double Denali tour.

Just read the last 4 member reviews for this ship and all complained about the service on board (dining room, room service, embarkation and front desk)and the food being sub-par in the all restaurant choices.

I'll be on this ship next week, and I've sailed HAL several times. Has it really gone down that much since last year when I was on another one of their ships? Or is the ship staff burned out this time of year?

Last month I was concerned about a trip I'm taking in a couple of months on the Veendam. I found the member reviews very distorted, and didn't match what posters here on the HAL boards were saying. I'm taking the member reviews with a grain of salt.

I cruised on the "O" for 2 weeks in May. No problem with food or crew. Only problem I encountered were my tablemates who were always late for dinner.

Both weeks had fellow diners who did not respect confirmed late sitting. This was no fault of Holland America - just ignorant passengers.

Edited by solocanadian

I cruised on the "O" for 2 weeks in May. No problem with food or crew. Only problem I encountered were my tablemates who were always late for dinner.

Both weeks had fellow diners who did not respect confirmed late sitting. This was no fault of Holland America - just ignorant passengers.

That's why I go with open. I get tired of inconsiderate people.

If you can, let us know how the cruise is going next week. BearinStPete and I will be boarding right after you so leave it in good shape for us! :D

I was on the Ms. O end of July. I loved everything but some of the food offerings in the MDR. That's because I'm a plain boring eater. Ship was fabulous, well maintained. No problems with the front desk and the service overall was great. No complaints about the ship at all. Loved our server "Su" in the MDR. Enjoy, you will have a great cruise.

Did the HAL land/sea Alaska tour 6/9-23/14, Oosterdam from Seward to Vancouver. Cabin and balcony was great, ship in great shape, food and service was great, Alaska was great and you'll have a great time too!! :)

Edited by PROCRUISE

No - I didn't know about it. Where can I find it? :)

Just search for holland America line on Facebook. On HAL's wall there will be a spot to search for our cruise. It has not been very active (like on here), but somewhat easier to get messages.

John

My family of 9 sailed on her in June. We liked the ship and had a great time. We did have uneven dinner service in the Main Dining Room. Some nights were good and some were terrible. No night was great. However, we had Open Seating and did not have the same wait staff each night. (We requested a consistent table but it was not possible.) We also had poor service the night we ate in the Pinnacle Grill. Service in the Lido and bars was usually good. I would not hesitate to sail on the Oosterdam again, but I would probably reserve a specific dining room seating.