St Maarten - airport

keelann0604

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how much and how far it is to the airport at ST Maarten?

My husband wants to go and do the plane thing that he's seen on U Tube lol!

We didn't go last time we were there and for some reason he feel's he's missed out!!

Thanks in advance.

We went last year think it was may be $15 per person or there abouts each way in a mini bus with other people there is the normal load of taxis at the port so no problems getting a taxi . As for journey time think it took around 20 mins but it's worth it although I don't recommend the holding on to the fence for take off !hopefully a couple of the pics will upload that I took on this post ! ImageUploadedByForums1408562602.442652.jpg.cf468d3f65a25267efecaef271b97844.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ImageUploadedByForums1408562518.057244.jpg.5f22b25a1f10433498da8ac55ee2df5e.jpg

Yeah it was amazing there is even a little bar on the beach with free wifi which was great for using Skype and showing family back home the planes ! Oh a another warning if u sit behind the runway hold on to your stuff !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last January we wanted to do the same, caught a local bus, got there and it coincided with bad weather in the USA, so no Heavies were due in, just local small stuff.

The bar on the beach has a blackboard showing what a/c are due and when.

Oh and topless women get free drinks there!

Do go, Maho beach is brilliant we spent the whole day in the sunset bar :) I even did the fence thing haha.

It's dead easy to get to just walk about 2 blocks heading away from the beach and you will see bus stops. The buses are little minibuses. They are not allowed to take you along the front actually to the sunset bar at the end but even my disabled husband managed it eventually. It was $2 for the bus we got a taxi back as they are allowed to pick up from right outside the bar and we needed to be back to ship as had left it a bit late. Taxi was reasonable too. I think out of the whole 2 weeks this was in my top 3 things to do. Btw sunset bar has cheap beer amazing cocktails and excellent food. We were lucky enough to get stools sitting overlooking the beach:)

I think I may be silly (well I know I am) why can't you hold the fence?

Because the exhaust from the planes engines as they take off can blow you away :0 They are very close to the fence.

There are notices that say you risk death !!!

GO! GO! It's a LOT of fun and very easy to get back to the ship, the minivan taxis cruise by on the road between the end of the runway and the beach, holding signs saying "back to ship". If they fill the van it's around $9-10 per person.

When I was there two years ago I decided to save some money and acquiesced when the driver wanted to pick up more passengers. The driver insisted on taking them to Orient Beach first, even though I was the first person to ask for a ride and Orient Beach was way out of the way, and then dawdled his way around the island. I was so mad to miss a couple of the big jets; I told the driver he'd ripped me off, and should have gone to my destination first since I was the first passenger and Orient Beach was NOT on the way to Maho Beach. Next time I will just pay the extra money and have the cab go directly to the beach. So beware of idiot cab drivers on your way to the beach.

Most of the big planes come in and leave between about 11:30 and 4:30. Because of the prevailing winds, the planes usually land over the beach and take off toward the mountains, but occasionally one will take off over the beach, which is really cool. You don't get the jet blast, though. They may be cracking down on people holding onto the fence, but you do it so you don't get blown away by the jet blast. It's a lot of fun but can be dangerous. It's also slightly stupid, but hey, I did it and survived!

This is one of my favorite videos. It's not great quality, but look at how low the plane is! Lots of skill by the pilot.

You can find the schedules here, and adjust the dates to find out what's coming in when you'll be there.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do?airportCode=SXM&airportQueryType=1

If your husband is a real airplane geek, I'd suggest bringing an air band radio. You can hear the flights calling in before they are visible, so if you are hanging out in the bar, you will know when to leave your barstool! SXM tower is 118.7, approach/departure 128.95.

Also, be sure to bring sunscreen and a hat. There is NO shade on the beach apart from the bars.

Gee, now I think I might have to look into a cruise to St. Maarten...

As a treat we did the P&O Harley trip this February on St Maarten, which was fabulous. One of the stops was at the airport beach, it was amazing, it almost felt as if the 'planes were going to land on you:)

Molly

It's in the list of the 10 most dangerous airports in the world.

It's certainly one of the most extreme airports - most challenging airports.

Dangerous is a bit more subjective, as a challenging airport keeps the pilots alert, there may be more danger in a relatively routine airport - familiarity breeds contempt etc.

- - - - it's certainly spectacular!

Hi Molly - are you booked on for next winter. Hope you're keeping well?

Ba x

Hi Ba,

Yes we are fine thanks. We are booked on the Adonia 21st Jan - Caribbean/Amazon etc. I think we will notice a big difference from the Azura, Ventura and Oceana, but are looking forward to it.:)

What are you and Roy up to?

Molly xx

It's certainly one of the most extreme airports - most challenging airports.

Dangerous is a bit more subjective, as a challenging airport keeps the pilots alert, there may be more danger in a relatively routine airport - familiarity breeds contempt etc.

- - - - it's certainly spectacular!

You make a fair point and are correct.