Wi Fi package on ship compared to my carriers package...

I am sailing on the Explorer. I am going to get a package from ATT for calls/texts. I know they also offer an internet package. Last year I didn't get a package and would turn on my data roaming to check my mail, etc, and ended up with a huge bill.

My question is does the ship offer a package so I can access the internet from my phone anywhere on the ship? Does anyone know the pricing? Or how could I find this information out?

Thanks so much.

Yes there will be wifi available on the ship. Flat rate is .65 per minute with discounts available the more minutes you buy.

From what I understand though, this is your internet speed at home

1.jpg

And this is your internet speed on the ship......LOL

29366343.EasternBoxTurtle2.jpg

Thanks for the info! Can I call before I leave to get the package or would I do it when I get on the ship and where?

You cannot sign up ahead of time.

I'd go to the guest computer area (deck 8, aft centrum) and check out he brochures. If the ship is on the per minute plan, then you use one of the guest computers to sign up. If the ship is on the unlimited plan, you can sign up right from your phone.

Not sure why you would need a pkg for calls/texting. Do you get some price point break for that?

We use our phone on the ships for both and its just part of Verizon's normal pricing. I think in a week our bill has never had over 20$ of extra charges, mostly texting

If we have to use the internet we just use the ships pc. No data is ever involved

Edited by setsail

Not sure why you would need a pkg for calls/texting. Do you get some price point break for that?

We use our phone on the ships for both and its just part of Verizon's normal pricing. I think in a week our bill has never had over 20$ of extra charges, mostly texting

If we have to use the internet we just use the ships pc. No data is ever involved

I have ATT and its $2.50 per minute to make a call from the ship. Texts I think are $.50 per text. The plan offers 50 minutes of talk for $30 and there is also a text plan. I had those plans last year but I would go turn on my data roaming at times to check my mail and I had a huge bill because of it.

I have ATT and its $2.50 per minute to make a call from the ship. Texts I think are $.50 per text. The plan offers 50 minutes of talk for $30 and there is also a text plan. I had those plans last year but I would go turn on my data roaming at times to check my mail and I had a huge bill because of it.

OK, that's the same pricing Verizon uses. We sometimes have 2 or 3 calls but hold them to a minute or so and them maybe 8 or 10 text. 20 $ or less., for a 7 day. If you have to make longer calls the package makes perfect sense

If your trip is port rich, you can often call from the port for much less, sometimes even sitting on the ship using the land based tower.

Don't forget that if your itin. includes St Thomas or San Juan, your usual domestic coverage kicks back in (with most US carriers--I know AT&T does, double check yours to be sure), which stretches things!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app