How to do Santorini

nerds2go

Thanks, I just won my bet with DH.... I owe u an hamburger whenever u come to Israel, fries 2 :D Dani[ela]

My family name in Hebrew is "vinemaker", spelled with K.

Thank you- I'm due for a visit .

Haven't been since 2005.

Shana Tova

The company offering the transfer by "speedboat" to Oia, then up by bus and then by bus from Oia to Fira is waiting for you at the dock. Plenty of "transfers to Oia by boat" signs everywhere.

IMHO, it was the best way to see Oia.

I didn't realize that there are many boat transfers standing by. Sounds like my plan. I just have to hope a get an early tender ticket off the ship. Thanks Dani for the info. Oh, by the way, I'll be in Israel for a week before I head to Venice. Starting to plan that itinerary now.

Best way to Oia

I didn't realize that there are many boat transfers standing by. You're going very late in the season :( On the "Celebrity" main board, people travelling in Oct. reported the transfer being first to a vinery which they didn't particularly care about and only then to Oia. So, before committing, check their itinerary !!!! Oh, by the way, I'll be in Israel for a week before I head to Venice [in Venice we stayed pre-cruise on hotel Fontana, very handy from Marco Polo via Alilaguna and from there right (via Alilaguna) to the pier - 10% off the price when paying cash - highly recommended]. Israel - Pls. let me know if you have any questions - places, restaurants. Starting to plan that itinerary now.

Best way to Oia

Thank you Dani for your offer. I've been referring to the TA Israel forum for a lot of ideas. Would you send me an email address so that I can connect with you outside of CC? As we will be in Israel for only 6 days and part of that is Yom Tov, we do have a lot of questions. Much appreciated. Shana Tova to you.

Marsha

Thank-you Dani. I just read a terrible review of that trip on Trip Advisor. I hope that was a one shot deal, because it would REALLY be nice to avoid the large crowds in Fira in the morning. -Mary

You can't reserve ahead anyway... When u dock after the tender, check out the itinerary offered by the nameless company carrying out the "transfer":D . If it's not "boat to Oia - bus up - then bus to Fira" - don't take it.

Problem is, not many possibilities there, unless u want to take a trip with the cruise line. As I understand, taxis are a rarity in Fira, and I didn't fancy taking the local bus either.