Water Taxis in Venice to Ship From Hotels??

andrewjv1955

I am confirmed and booked on the August 28th Voyage on the New Amsterdam out of Venice. I have priority early boarding beginning at 11:30 a.m. although that might be a bit early to go to the ship.....as I am in a Neptune Suite.

Our hotel (not a HAL hotel) has its own water taxi stand in the lobby and the 4 star hotel (Hotel Lagoon Ca' Nigra) is right off of Piazalle Romano across from the Railway Station and is a wonderful hotel.

I believe I can have the hotel call a water taxi for us.

When we get to the pier where the ship is....is there much of a walk from the water taxi stand to the Terminal? Will there be porters there from HAL to assist us with our luggage or do we have to haul our own bags to a loading dock or check in point?

I have some mobility issues that may require some assistance and if I can have the water taxi drop me off as close as possible to the ship that would be helpful but I would need to know or tell the water taxi 'driver' where exactly to take us or to know about how close to the ship/terminal he'd be allowed to go.

It is not too early to go to HAL ship at 11:30 A.M. Almost always, HAL will have checked in a number of people by then and will be starting embarkation.

You can have the hotel get you a water taxi.

I don't remember about assistance with luggage when arriving. Someone else will

help with that.

When we get to the pier where the ship is....is there much of a walk from the water taxi stand to the Terminal? Will there be porters there from HAL to assist us with our luggage or do we have to haul our own bags to a loading dock or check in point?

I have some mobility issues that may require some assistance and if I can have the water taxi drop me off as close as possible to the ship that would be helpful but I would need to know or tell the water taxi 'driver' where exactly to take us or to know about how close to the ship/terminal he'd be allowed to go.

FWIW, I found this:

TRANSFER FROM THE HOTELS IN VENICE TO THE CRUISE TERMINAL OF VENICE (PORT)

Water taxi landing stage at the port Your water taxi will pick you up at your hotel (or at the closest landing stage if the hotel does not have a water door) and you'll be transferred to port. You will be dropped off right by the luggage check in point. A hostess from your ship company will then direct you to the building where embarkation procedures take place (click on the picture to enlarge).

http://www.veniceguideandboat.it/transferport.htm

Also you might find this site helpful:

Disabled Access in the Venice Cruise Port

http://www.sagetraveling.com/accessible-cruise-ports-venice-italy

We took a water taxi from our hotel to the ship. When the WT pulled up to the dock the longshoremen took our cases and put them on trollies - we saw them in our cabin when we boarded. It certainly wasn't much of a walk to the terminal probably just a couple of minutes. The length of your walk will depend on what pier the NA docks at. BTW - it was the NA we were boarding. Have a wonderful voyage!!

From Piazzel Roma it is a land route to the ship. We did it ourselves by using the People Mover and a short walk to the ship, but there may be a land transportation option available, probably easier without having to climb into and out of a water taxi. I think I would contact the hotel and ask them what options are available. LOVED Venice! Enjoy! m--

I agree with RMLincoln - from Piazzale Roma to the ship I would not try a water taxi. If you do not think you can do the walk from the People Mover to the ship, a land taxi would be cheaper and much easier.

Edited by jtl513

Whilst I'd normally advise using the Peoplemover, I don't think it's a good idea if you have mobility issues. Depending on where the ship is, the walk would be around 600 metres which is fine for people who have full mobility, otherwise could be difficult pulling your luggage too.

I did see water taxis coming in and out right behind the ship (not HAL) but don't recall how accessible they would be. Perhaps ask the question on Tripadvisor?