Pregnancy policy...

alyssa0922

This may have already been discussed, but I was just reading the RC board and saw a post about the incident on Oasis, and RC's new policy, they will no longer be asking for a physician's Fit to Travel letter. Do you think Princess will be doing the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This may have already been discussed, but I was just reading the RC board and saw a post about the incident on Oasis, and RC's new policy, they will no longer be asking for a physician's Fit to Travel letter. Do you think Princess will be doing the same?
Have no idea what incident you're referring to. The Princess policy is clearly stated that you must provide a doctor's letter that you and the baby are in good health with the estimated due date as well as medical records. It must be faxed to Princess. You will not be allowed to board if you are entering your 24th week. It's in the Passage Contract that you must sign so there's no ambiguity. As a matter of fact, Princess updated their policy not too long ago to be stricter. Doubt they'll remove this provision.

The reason is that Princess ships do not have the medical capability to handle a premature birth or neonatal emergency. Even if you are in good health, there are no guarantees and you're risking yours and your baby's life.

No matter what waivers are signed and which forms passengers fill out, I can just imagine the lawsuit and bad publicity if a woman miscarries aboard the Oasis. "They should have exercised due diligence..."

• 1 month later...

My husband and I just booked a 3 night Bahama cruise leaving 10/31/14 out of port Canaveral. I will be 19 weeks pregnant during the cruise (about a month within the 24 week rule), so I sent an email to the special needs email address to get some clarification. The FAQ and pregnancy area of the RCCL website still states that a fit to travel not is required. I received an email back saying that the note is no longer needed. I am very skeptical, and will have my doctor provide one anyway just to be safe. But I'm wondering, is there anyone (preferably someone noticeably pregnant) who has been able to cruise without providing this note since the policy change?

My husband and I just booked a 3 night Bahama cruise leaving 10/31/14 out of port Canaveral. I will be 19 weeks pregnant during the cruise (about a month within the 24 week rule), so I sent an email to the special needs email address to get some clarification. The FAQ and pregnancy area of the RCCL website still states that a fit to travel not is required. I received an email back saying that the note is no longer needed. I am very skeptical, and will have my doctor provide one anyway just to be safe. But I'm wondering, is there anyone (preferably someone noticeably pregnant) who has been able to cruise without providing this note since the policy change?

When boarding our last cruise we were sitting next to a pregnant woman who was turned away because she didn't have the Dr. note! She was probably 4-5 months. Get it! Best to be on the safe side and not be disappointed at the last minute.

Last year I sailed during my 18th week. I had my doctors note, but was never asked for it. With that being said, I did talk with a woman onboard who didn't bring the note on a previous voyage and she was turned away at the port.

Maybe there's more to the story. Some women unfortunately do look pregnant even when not (I once had a boss who posed the question to me, but maybe he thought I was glowing...I certainly didn't look 24 weeks along so I didn't take it that he thought I put on a whole lot of weight since I've never had a flat tummy). But rather than completely drop the note which makes sense when someone is obviously far enough along (I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows someone who went into labor early -- a manager's wife gave birth 6 weeks early), why not train the check-in staff better?

The note wasn't required when I was pregnant on a cruise (I was about 18 weeks along), but I did ask my ob-gyn if it was all right to go (and he gave me an enthusiastic yes).

Even an ob-gyn can't always predict if a problem doesn't develop at any time in the pregnancy, but at least if the doctor has concerns, he can discuss them with his or her patient.

I have never sailed on RCL but I have sailed on Princess quite a lot. The only thing I know for sure is that it is perfectly alright to get pregnant on a Princess ship. ;)

I believe you are correct and you don't even need a note from a doctor!

(I bet that happens more often on Carnival though...)