Cruise newbie- tips on Grandeur???

Just remember...you're taking a VACATION! That's all! There's no "right or wrong" way to vacation! Plenty to do on the ship, or you can do nothing at all...just relax! It's up to you!

Do get a guidebook on your ports...that's the best way to get the most from your time ashore! You library has guidebooks if you don't want to buy one.

Remember that most 1st timers will spend about 1/2 of the cost of the cruise in "incidentals"....but you certainly do not have to...be prudent with your onboard purchases, and excursions...(that's where the guidebook comes in handy!).

Just go and have a great time!

First up get into roll call for your cruise and talk to others re the tours possible etc

Research each port and look at maybe doing your own thing to save money

Walk the ship day one and find everything there is to offer

Go to the stage performance shows they put on as are great

Enjoy the main dining room it's more relaxed than windjammer buffet

Go to a specialty restaurant at some stage

Ask if you don't know

Most of all have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a 10-day on the Grandeur last December and it was awesome! Plenty to do on the sea days if you wanted to ... plenty of enticing locales to do nothing at all, if that's your preference.

Sign up for your roll call and "meet" your fellow cruises ahead of time. The Grandeur's size makes it more likely that you'll encounter your roll call friends multiple times and those associations will increase your enjoyment, since you get to chat and share their experiences as well.

Take advantage of the MDR for lunch on sea days ... and ask for a shared table. Again, it will give you the opportunity to meet others and broaden your experience by hearing what their experiences have been. Additionally, they will have some menu options only offered there ... I still pine after the gnocci and that amazing chocolate raspberry dessert I got one day.

And don't miss the Quest!

If you're interested in an armchair journey, the link to my journal follows:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1962469

A great pick for a first cruise, and a very easy embarkation port.

First of all, I'm assuming you are driving to port - don't spend all that money to park at the port! Instead, go to one of the park, sleep and fly (park, sleep and cruise) websites and get a package. The Sleep Inn BWI has worked well for us, and you can get parking, room the night before cruise, breakfast and shuttles for less than the port parking price.

Once onboard, take advantage of the social aspect of cruising, which is different than other vacations. Go to your rollcall's meet and mingle, dine at shared tables, form a trivia team, etc.

Read your cruise compass carefully, since many events are held only once. Don't miss things like the 60s party, 70s party, Quest, Love and Marriage, pool games.

Food - make the buffet your dining of last resort. In addition to dinner, the MDR has breakfast every day and lunch on sea days. The Park Café in the Solarium has tasty roast beef sandwiches. Try room service, especially for breakfast. One of the great luxuries of cruising, and free (delivery gets a tip) except for late night.

Living in Baltimore we have sailed Grandeur probably 15 times.

If you are not from the area coming in early and staying a night or two at one of the hotels mentioned previously is a great idea. The hotels near the ship are just minutes from Baltimore's Inner Harbor area. It will be February but you never know about our weather. Last February was very cold. Unusual for us. The previous February I was still playing golf. The harbor area is great even if it's cold. Plenty of shops and restaurants. a great aquarium and science center. The Constellation, etc.

Parking at the terminal is $150 ($15 per day) So if you're not coming in early I would suggest just paying the parking. The hotel and eating dinner will run you some money so it is basically a wash. If you do decide to park don't bother arriving at the port till about 10:30 or so. They have to let the lot empty out from the previous cruise before thy will let anyone in. No point in just sitting in your car.

Grandeur is a very nice ship. It was recently overhauled to build a new Centrum area, add some new venues, carpeting etc. The staterooms were updated with new vanities and soft goods. We've had everything from the least expensive inside stateroom to a balcony and have never had an issue that wasn't resolved immediately.

Definitely go to the aerial show in the Centrum. It's only done a couple of times. The 50's sock hop was fun as was disco night. Daryl ( activities manager) is a riot and super nice guy. The shows are worth seeing if you haven't seen them before. The guest performers are hit and miss.

The buffet is adequate but I prefer breakfast in the dining room. It's open seating so you'll be sitting with others which I enjoy. It's nice to meet new people. I don't generally eat lunch but the salad bar in the main dining room is fantastic. Also great beef sandwiches and other things in the solarium.

Speaking of the solarium, you are sailing in February. If you plan to get a chair by the pool get there EARLY. We generally just grab a table around 8 on the sea days and play cards or games and read. Very relaxing.

If you have any other questions just ask away.

Lady G is a wonderful ship. It does not have all the bells and whistles of the larger ships but it is still a great ship.

Sailaway could be chilly in Feb so you might want to try to get a seat in Viking Crown Lounge immediately after the muster drill. It is an experience as the ship goes under the Key Bridge and the stacks just fit. If the ship sails at 4pm, the ship will go under the Key Bridge around 4:30 - 5pm. The Lounge is bound to fill up early!

As noted, the Solarium lounges will go quickly on the first sea day. They removed lounges to put in more tables. The Solarium is for adults only but in the winter months the rules are adjusted. The allowed children under 16 to use the pool for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. Once the ship is farther south, many people will go to the outdoor lounges and pool.

Do not miss Park Cafe located in the Solarium. Great roast beef sandwiches and many other items.

Try to mix and match clothing and shoes. Try to avoid a pair of shoes for every outfit.

I pack using the 2 gallon ziplock bags. Fold/roll tops and put them in the bag, seal it and toss it in the suitcase. Lingerie items in a bag. Whe it s time to unpack, I just put the bags in the drawer and take them out as needed. I use empty zip locks to repack things that were worn and will not be needed again. Toss the bag in the suitcase and there is not much to pack on the last sea day.

On one cruise, my suitcase apparently was below a case that held bottles/cans of water/soda. My case and a few clothes were wet due to those bottles/cans exploding under the weight of all the bags placed on top. Guest Services gave me free cleaning but it was still a pain to open my case and find things messed up. Never had that problem again but the plastic bags help to protect my clothes just in case. I also line my case with dry cleaner bags to help protect things.

DO NOT pack an iron...it will be confiscated, tagged and you can claim it at the pier upon arrival back at the port.

Plan to have a great time!

I also would recommend eating in the Main Dining Room for breakfast and lunch rather than the Windjammer. For lunch there is a wonderful "Tutti"

salad bar or you can order off the menu or do both. Sometimes they also put out buffet items. Last April they had a lobster curry that was delicious. There is a wonderful cherry crepe dessert at lunch you don't want to miss!

Any idea what time we will be passing over- around that? I am assuming that we will be. I think it would be awesome to view it. We have driven on this several times.

Thanks again!!!

Lisa;)

Approx 5:30 - 6pm you should go under the Annapolis Bay Bridge.

Start looking for the Bridge Tunnel approx. 11:30pm. Yes, the ship does go over the tunnel portion of the bridge. It is beautiful to see all the lights on the bridge...fixed lights and car headlights. It takes about 8 hours to cruise the Chesapeake.