Quick review of The Freedom Aug 17

north29

Please I have never done this before and did it quickly so no English lesson on how poorly written LOL. No pics just some comments and info.

Freedom of the Seas August 17 Western Caribbean

We thought we were smart, and since school had started in Florida fewer kids, LOL we forgot about the northern areas where school starts later. Lots of kids on board, but well behaved, better than some adults.

We did this cruise almost to the week last year and this is our 5th time on the Freedom. So not much attention to ports is given

The ship is still in good shape, but one can see where she needs some attention and from a old seafarer (me), anything around salt water needs WORK.

Booked this trip on Thursday the week before sailing, we did a guarantee outside cabin, hoping for the upgrade fairy, ended up on deck two, forward 2262. We really liked deck two, or at least were we were, little noise, except from the door where the crew passes through, and it slammed shut with a big bang, but really no problem.

The cabin is near the theater and gangways so getting off and on the ship was great. Only thing we did not like was the bed was under the window, we could have had the twin bed set up, maybe next time. I should mention getting to the Diamond lounge you had to take the elevator to deck 5 walk the promenade to the other elevators that go to deck 14.

MDR, We ate their 4 out of 7 nights, first night was a PITA our waiter spoke no recognizable English, now I am legally deaf, so I would not understand much anyway but wife can hear and she could not understand. Too bad, because he was a nice guy doing his best to be a great server and he really was good. I hope we did not get our first waiter in trouble, there seemed to be everyone wanting to know why we left him.

After an BOGO the next night in Portofino, we returned to the MDR and ask for another table, service started out OK, the Sommelier took our wine order and brought our bottle to the table, with two glasses, left and never came back, after about 15-20 minutes the assistant waiter keep looking and finally ask if he could open our wine, LOL we thanked him. The service was poor, slow the first night, kind of like we had a bad reputation as problem people, any way as the week progressed service became better and friendly. I will say at times the waiters seem over whelmed. Note we did not find this on our two X cruises last year

MDR food was good to excellent. My wife said the horseradish-encrusted salmon was the best fish dish on a ship that she had ever eaten. Enough said about the food.

Specialty restaurants

We only ate in Portofino on the BOGO. On the first night (formal night) I did the surf and turf, which was great, wife did a fish, which was less than OK, but she endured. Second time I did the seafood thing that comes out on a skewer wife had the Veal and risotto dish that was to die for. Deserts if you like Chocolate you might think you are in chocolate heaven. Really I love chocolate, but they were a bit overwhelming for me LOL.

Opinion for the BOGO they are great, but at regular price they should at least come with a glass of wine or two or a beer.

Embarkation at the port was a breeze but debarkation was a bit confused in the terminal. They now divide you into separate lines according to your number. Poor signage and only a older lady trying to communicate your line to a bunch of hurrying people was a bit poor. Now the good, once we got to the luggage carousels, I looked and there was our luggage. Much ado was focus on Pass ports and the Declaration statement, but he could have cared less it seemed and wanted to see the Declaration form more that the pass ports, and never questioned us about the amount of alcohol we purchased.

Shows were hit and miss, the Ice show is always good. They had a tribute band for Bon Jovi, which was great. Americas got Talent magician was great, forgot his name, the production shows were OK, but, remember I’m legally deaf, I could not hear the words to any, I blame the audio, they (singers) all sounded like they were screeching at a high pitch. My lady even said she had trouble understanding some words from the songs

Dress code (what many have been waiting to hear about) LOL

FROM OUR VANTAGE POINT OR VIEW. Only a few tux and I mean few, a few suits, mostly older men, a number of sports coats(including me) and some vest and ties or shirts for others. Others just looked nicer, we did not see but a few in really casual outfits. I do believe the era of FORMAL night is over, maybe they should name it dress up night. Notice I left women off, their dress as usual was all over the place from sexy, elegant evening wear designer jeans to dowdy what ever.

Notable changes after a year.

Sorrento’s no longer has a coffee or tea station.

Starbucks is in the Café Promenade

Lots of changes coming in the January dry dock. More cabins, and a Mexican restaurant will replace the Crypt. That is all I can remember.

NO CRUISE IS A BAD CRUISE

No more Crypt???!!!!!! Oh MY....I'm not telling my husband- that was his favorite bar and he had the best service there and closed the place up most nights. We're going back on Freedom next April...maybe I'll keep this little nugget of information to myself....:eek:

Thank you for the review. I am on her in October. Forgive me I have not been on RCL since 2010. What Is BOGO?

BOGO = Buy One Get One Free.

BOGOHO = Buy One Get One Half Off.

Edited by clarea

Thanks for your review. We board this weekend. I am most curious to find out who the entertainment will be .. any ideas if the same entertainers from your cruise will be there for several weeks or do they change them out pretty frequently?

Thanks for your review. We board this weekend. I am most curious to find out who the entertainment will be .. any ideas if the same entertainers from your cruise will be there for several weeks or do they change them out pretty frequently?

The production shows (singing and dancing) will be the same. The magic show usually stays on for months. Other headliners change week to week.

You could try requesting the entertainment from [noparse]web_reservations@rccl.com[/noparse], but you may not hear back from them in time.

With Starbucks instead of a coffee & tea station in the cafe, does this change where to get speciality coffees with the royal replenish package. I understand Starbucks is not included on some ships.

Thanks for your review.

The Promenade Cafe may use Starbucks brand coffee beans, but it is not a Starbucks venue, so you can use the Replenish package there.

Only the Starbucks venues on Oasis and Allure are excluded from the Replenish package.

Edited by clarea