What happened to the beds?

NellieGurl

I decided to stop worrying and whining about the possibility of no egg crates and thus no sleep for me on Pride in 3 weeks. Instead, I got proactive and decided I'd do one of the things I do best: over-pack.:cool: I bought this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/5-Zone-2-Convuluted-Foam-Topper/15581041

on Wal-Mart's website and will be taking it along with me, in its own suitcase and asking my Room Steward to install it on our bed on Embarkation Day. Then I'll leave it behind at the end of the cruise. They can keep it and offer it to future passengers, or cut it into twin-size strips if they want and give it to a couple crew members, or just throw it away. I'll let the Steward decide that. But I'm not taking it back home.

I figure this is what it's like with Carnival - constant cutbacks that mean I get a lower quality product with each cruise from them. But I know this about them and when I choose to sail Carnival, I'll continue to do my research ahead of time to see what new cutbacks to expect and then decide if I need to pack yet more to make my vacation as nice as it used to be (in the olden days of, say, 2011:rolleyes:) onboard a Carnival ship. So, for example, like bringing my own teabags since they changed to that nasty off-brand tea a couple years ago, I'll now have to spend $30 each time and bring my own work-around for their horrible, hard beds. It is what it is, right?:rolleyes::cool:

On a happy note: Wal-Mart is a RewardsBoost seller, so I got 2 extra FunPoints per dollar (meaning that $30 mattress pad actually got me 90 FPs)on my order along with free shipping.:)

I also bought a travel air purifier at the same time. Thanks Wrigley;), I'm gonna take it along and see if it's allowed.

I decided to stop worrying and whining about the possibility of no egg crates and thus no sleep for me on Pride in 3 weeks. Instead, I got proactive and decided I'd do one of the things I do best: over-pack.:cool: I bought this:

on Wal-Mart's website and will be taking it along with me, in its own suitcase and asking my Room Steward to install it on our bed on Embarkation Day. Then I'll leave it behind at the end of the cruise. They can keep it and offer it to future passengers, or cut it into twin-size strips if they want and give it to a couple crew members, or just throw it away. I'll let the Steward decide that. But I'm not taking it back home.

I figure this is what it's like with Carnival - constant cutbacks that mean I get a lower quality product with each cruise from them. But I know this about them and when I choose to sail Carnival, I'll continue to do my research ahead of time to see what new cutbacks to expect and then decide if I need to pack yet more to make my vacation as nice as it used to be (in the olden days of, say, 2011:rolleyes:) onboard a Carnival ship. So, for example, like bringing my own teabags since they changed to that nasty off-brand tea a couple years ago, I'll now have to spend $30 each time and bring my own work-around for their horrible, hard beds. It is what it is, right?:rolleyes::cool:

On a happy note: Wal-Mart is a RewardsBoost seller, so I got 2 extra FunPoints per dollar (meaning that $30 mattress pad actually got me 90 FPs)on my order along with free shipping.:)

I also bought a travel air purifier at the same time. Thanks Wrigley;), I'm gonna take it along and see if it's allowed.

Omg, Shaky, you're killing me! When you said you were an overpacker, you really meant it. I am cracking up reading this post of yours. Can't wait to meet you in 25 days on our cruise. You take first place in the overpacking category. Love it!!!

We are going on our 7th Magic cruise in September. The beds have been very uncomfortable. We have a sleep number bed at home and have decided to bring an airbed w/AC pump on board this time. Found a good deal at Academy Sports on an Intex Classic Downy queen airbed $15.99 & Intex electric pump $13.99. Hopefully this will keep us out of pain for the week.

Omg, Shaky, you're killing me! When you said you were an overpacker, you really meant it. I am cracking up reading this post of yours. Can't wait to meet you in 25 days on our cruise. You take first place in the overpacking category. Love it!!!

I figure, when I'm bringing so much already, what's one more suitcase?:rolleyes::p

Maybe I should make a preemptive apology to everyone on our cruise for the shipwide delay in luggage delivery, since mine is going to take a few porters a couple hours to load.:o So glad I bought FTTF - maybe I'll have it all in my cabin by dinner time.:rolleyes::p

One of the things I've always loved about Carnival are their comfortable beds. I just returned on the Triumph and the mattresses were HARD and very uncomfortable. Everyone in our group complained. Curious to know if it's like this on the Magic or other ships.

You are not alone. My bed was horrible on the Legend last year and was my only negative thing I mentioned to John Heald (I wrote him to praise several others b/c I had not received a survey but mentioned the bed as well). The bed was so hard, that it helped contribute to 3 migraines the last 3 nights of the cruise. Someone had mentioned that you can ask for an egg carton "thingy" to help soften it a bit and I plan to ask my steward to add one first thing on Sat before they're all taken. :D

All of our cruises, up until this years, the bed has been SUPER comfy and soft.:D:D

However, this year on the Breeze, our backs were killing us for the first two mornings. It was FIRM.:mad:

Not sure if we just got used to it, or what, but by the 3rd day, it was more tolerable.

An interesting tidbit....we were in the same exact cabin last year on the Breeze with a comfy mattress. This one HAD to be new.

I figure, when I'm bringing so much already, what's one more suitcase?:rolleyes::p

Maybe I should make a preemptive apology to everyone on our cruise for the shipwide delay in luggage delivery, since mine is going to take a few porters a couple hours to load.:o So glad I bought FTTF - maybe I'll have it all in my cabin by dinner time.:rolleyes::p

Put the foam topper into a SpaceBag. It's amazing how flat that thing gets when all the air is sucked out. We've done this for DD college foam topper.

Edited by SadieN

Put the foam topper into a SpaceBag. It's amazing how flat that thing gets when all the air is sucked out. We've done this for DD college foam topper.

Thanks.:) Yeah, I'm going to do my cheapo version of a space bag - a huge (65 gallon, I think) clear trash bag with all the air sucked out and tied closed. I've used this for all kinds of stuff and it works really well.

We discussed on our last night of the cruise we wish we would have asked for a comforter on our top sheet to help. It was a miserable night of sleep each night. I commented on their website. Hopefully they will revert back to the not too firm and not to soft mattresses if they get enough complaints. Those mattresses were wonderful. ShakyBeef said it perfectly. Many of you have probably not experienced the new ones.

Some of the newer mattresses have been so hard that they actually hurt my hips enough to wake me up.

People can say that the mattresses are the same.

But I know that they are different.

I'm just off of the Elation today. The beds were uncomfortably hard. My DH loves a firm mattress but he even said that the bed was too hard for him. I had difficulty finding a comfortable position on it most nights. I think the issue for me was the hard bed coupled with the too soft pillows. I have to agree with previous posters that this was not my experience when we sailed on the Fantasy in 2008. During that cruise I remember thinking that the bed rivaled my pillowtop mattress at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great idea!

Glad it's not just us! Out of 24 cruises with the world's comfiest (sp?) beds, my husband and I were surprised with the beds on the Fascination earlier this month. They were super firm and bordering on uncomfortable. Maybe not a big deal, but a definite change from previous cruises. Hopefully, once the mattresses are broken in, they'll be back to their usual comfy selves! I'll do my part with extra servings from the buffet! :D

Us, too. Pillows as well.

Anyone who thinks the mattresses are rock hard needs to try sleeping on the floor.

Of course they're not "rock hard", but they are certainly beyond firm and well into the realm of "hard".

For all of you who have only had comfortable beds and good nights' sleep on Carnival, I am happy. Really.:) And I wish you only more of the same. But if you ever do happen to experience the change in the mattress as the rest of us have, you'll probably think to yourself (or even say out loud), "All those people on CC weren't full of it after all.:eek: This mattress does suck!":mad:

When/if that time comes, just remember I told you so.;):cool::p

Of course they're not "rock hard", but they are certainly beyond firm and well into the realm of "hard".

For all of you who have only had comfortable beds and good nights' sleep on Carnival, I am happy. Really. And I wish you only more of the same. But if you ever do happen to experience the change in the mattress as the rest of us have, you'll probably think to yourself (or even say out loud), "All those people on CC weren't full of it after all. This mattress does suck!"

When/if that time comes, just remember I told you so.

I guess we agree to disagree, then. I started cruising on Carnival last century, on many different ships. The only changes I have noticed were improvements to saggy beds.

The mattresses are not at all beyond firm.

The mattresses do not suck. I will leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out where the problem is.

Let the emoticon battle begin!

:p;):D:o:):(