vegetarian cruising

joeyancho

I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian who's taken eleven cruises on several cruise lines. My last cruise in January on the Carnival Splendor was a gastronomic delight! The first night I told my waiter my cuisine preference and he was great each night, alerting me to vegetarian options and even surprising me with dishes I had mentioned I liked. I've never taken a Princess cruise but I choose to believe they would not ignore a guest's food preferences. I would definitely approach the maitr'd with a smile to explain your daughter is a vegetarian who eats dairy and eggs (many people don't understand the term ovo-lacto). I would also tell the waiter (again with a smile and politeness). I know your child won't starve.

Seems to be a mixed bag as to experiences for we vegetarians.

My wife and I are lacto ovo and took our first Princess cruise last July. It was on Diamond around Japan so that might have been a factor as they were also catering for the Japanese on board, although there were many Western folks.

Mainly we were reasonably happy, breakfast is never a problem, because I rarely eat then and if I do it's just a light cooked one and my wife does fruit, porridge, toast and marmalade or jam.

Buffet lunch was really good, loads of salad and veg with pulses nuts and seeds available. Hot dishes were ok, mainly of the curry ilk.

Dinner in MDR, was ok but without the always available vegetarian dishes as on P&O, where the Head Waiter would bring us the next day's standard menu and the always available so we could mix from the two.

Sabatinnis, well, very disappointed because there was little on the menu, they did say they would be able to sort something but?

Contrast with our last January Caribbean cruise on Ventura, The Glass House food and wine pairing dinner, separate vegetarian menu with wines for that menu. Then too, East, plenty for vegetarians.

P&O best too for pizzas with their indivdual ones, such that one can specify the toppings. Veggieburgers, I agree with the feelings here, the problem is the lines don't buy soya based burgers.

This mirrors our experience around the World, the UK is, surprisingly, the best country in which it is generally easiest to eat out as a vegetarian.

This mirrors our experience around the World, the UK is, surprisingly, the best country in which it is generally easiest to eat out as a vegetarian.

This is true. I tell people about the good food I have had when visiting the Midlands, and they are surprised. It's possible to get a good vegetarian meal in just about any pub, and the Indian restaurants have superb choices. I wish Princess would adopt some of the vegetarian choices for their Pub Lunch. The best nut roast I ever had was in a pub in Leicester. (I'm just a part time vegetarian, BTW. ;))