Norwegian Spirit

Belfast Castle

Currently looking at a 10 day Canaries cruise from Malaga in Feb or March 2015.

This will be our first time with Norwegian - up to now it's been Royal Caribbean for us. Time wise NCL looks good - what differences can we expect between RCL and NCL please

Did this cruise at Easter this year having sailed mainly RCL had a fantastic time and booked same itinery on Epic Easter 2016. Other than the lack of a formal night very little difference we are converts especially as we have to book early and travel UK school holdays and the prices of other lines we have sailed just don't compare. I would definately say give NCL a try:)

Can't compare to RCL, but we loved the Spirit 4 years ago. It's the oldest, smallest in NCL Fleet. More natural wood throughout. It was originally built for the Asian market, with Asian decour. There's a multi tiered outdoor area behind the buffet area (Raffles ?) that's great for eating/drinking/relaxing, with panoramic views off the stern. We'd always take our buffet meals out there for a quiet, relaxing meal.

I can't compare the 2 cruise lines (haven't sailed with RCL since the 90's), but I can show you my pictures of the Spirit. She is my all time favorite small ship from the entire fleet. She's very unique and has an Asian flare. It was an awesome cruise on an awesome ship. I would sail her again in a heartbeat.

Click HERE for a link to the pictures. (Sorry, there are a lot of personal pictures of us on the ship. Back then when I did my reviews, I didn't separate them in the albums so you can just thumb through those). :)

The Spirit is a lovely ship, but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a mega ship. It's very easy to find your way around, And count me as another big fan of the Asian décor all around the ship.

As far as a comparison to RCCL - I've only been on a Voyager class RCCL ship, and it's like comparing apples to oranges. No ice skating, no royal promenade, no Ben & Jerry's, etc. But I would go on Spirit again in a heartbeat!

I can't compare NCL to RCCL but we have been on the Spirit and I have to add my 2 cents worth of agreement, that we really enjoyed the Spirit and it's unique decor. We love the other ships too, but while they tend to be very similar to one another, the Spirit is unique.

Enjoy!