When should I book?

DG12345

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and completely new to cruising. I'm in the process of planning my first cruise and I'm thinking that Cunard would be the perfect way to start! I figure that there are many experts here that could help me on this first.

I'm quite restricted with dates and have found a med cruise on Queen Victoria that departs on the 8th August 2015 for 7 nights. I've called Cunard and they are offering $150 onboard spend per person if I book before the end of September. In your experience is it worth holding off or would now be the right time to book. I would like a balcony and the lady on the phone said that mid ship is best!? What are your thoughts? When do cruises such as this typically sell out?

Thanks.

I usually book a year in advance, which let's me pick the cabin I want but often I miss out on sales. For my autumn cruise next year I am forcing myself to wait until the new year (let's see if I can hold out). I will defer to others on their experience and whether those with more patience get better deals.

I started cruising with Cunard (a Transatlantic on the Queen Mary 2) and I was hooked. I have been on almost every line, but I keep coming back to Cunard. I started with a mid-ship balcony and enjoyed it so much I have stuck with them ever since, so I think you have some good plans for your first cruise. Enjoy!

...I'm quite restricted with dates and have found a med cruise on Queen Victoria that departs on the 8th August 2015 for 7 nights. I've called Cunard and they are offering $150 onboard spend per person if I book before the end of September. In your experience is it worth holding off or would now be the right time to book. I would like a balcony and the lady on the phone said that mid ship is best!? What are your thoughts? When do cruises such as this typically sell out?

Thanks.

Since your time is restricted you have to ask yourself if it is more important to lock in your sailing dates, preferred stateroom, and dinner sitting. Priority for tables for two goes to those who book early. Or is it more important to hold out for the best price? Only you can decide.

Waiting until late to book doesn't mean that the price will drop especially if the voyage is selling well. Your price might go up. And the later you wait your airfare could go up to the point where it cancels out any savings on a promotional fare. Your voyage could also sell out as August is peak vacation time, especially in Europe. Then you will have a "staycation" since your dates are not flexible.

If you wait for a promotion, there are guarantee categories only (you don't get to pick your specific stateroom) and early versus late seating is at Cunard's discretion. (Early seating is more popular than the second sitting so those on promotional fares are likely to get the later.)

Nobody here has been able to figure out when or if a promotion will be offered.

Yes, mid-ship is most stable, and the closer to the water line even more stable.

As somebody who is still working, and must request time off far in advance, I book early and never look at the price again!

Edited by BlueRiband

Conditions vary, depending on where you place your booking (mostly by Country, but also by travel agency). Price adjustments after deposit, cancellation period with full refund, and sale terms would have an impact as to whether or not to book early - and since I don't know where you are making your booking, I can only suggest that you study the terms of an early booking for the voyage you are considering, and perhaps do some comparison shopping of various reputable on-line travel sites. Best wishes, -S

Edited by Salacia

The cruise you are thinking about I believe is a Fly Cruise?? & the fare could be a Cunard Early Saver Fare?? You need to tell us what Country you are in as different parts of the world have completely different terms & conditions on booking.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and completely new to cruising. I'm in the process of planning my first cruise and I'm thinking that Cunard would be the perfect way to start! I figure that there are many experts here that could help me on this first.

I'm quite restricted with dates and have found a med cruise on Queen Victoria that departs on the 8th August 2015 for 7 nights. I've called Cunard and they are offering $150 onboard spend per person if I book before the end of September. In your experience is it worth holding off or would now be the right time to book. I would like a balcony and the lady on the phone said that mid ship is best!? What are your thoughts? When do cruises such as this typically sell out?

Thanks.

We always book soon and pay the main price and not the saver price, by booking early you get the cabin YOU want, the time you dine and free shuttle service we nearly always have a de luxe inside midship by having that in rough weather less movement. Any way what ever you book we are sure you will enjoy your trip.;):D

Thank you so much for your replies. At least I can be confident that a cunard cruise is a great way to get started.

The cruise I'm looking at is a fly cruise (Rome to Rome) and I'm based in the UK. I did notice that when looking at prices, an early fare doesn't allow you to select a stateroom, evening meal times etc so it does make sense to pay the extra couple of hundred pounds to be able to select the above.

As one of you said, if I do book early I'll have to have the discipline to refrain from checking the price every week or so.

I would assume that this cruise would be popular with families due to it being the school holidays although, again, having not travelled with cunard before I don't really know what to expect in terms of guests on board.

Thank you so much for your replies. At least I can be confident that a cunard cruise is a great way to get started.

The cruise I'm looking at is a fly cruise (Rome to Rome) and I'm based in the UK. I did notice that when looking at prices, an early fare doesn't allow you to select a stateroom, evening meal times etc so it does make sense to pay the extra couple of hundred pounds to be able to select the above.

As one of you said, if I do book early I'll have to have the discipline to refrain from checking the price every week or so.

I would assume that this cruise would be popular with families due to it being the school holidays although, again, having not travelled with cunard before I don't really know what to expect in terms of guests on board.

In my view, unless you particularly want to choose the location of your cabin and you want to eat at 6.30pm there is little to be gained by paying the extra money. First sitting for dinner is very popular for some unknown reason so if you are given it you will easily be able to swap to the later sitting. In these days of stabilised ships, there is little to distinguish between forward or aft or up or down. I would suggest that you save the money, go with the cheaper fare and use the extra for drinks on board.

In my view, unless you particularly want to choose the location of your cabin and you want to eat at 6.30pm there is little to be gained by paying the extra money. First sitting for dinner is very popular for some unknown reason so if you are given it you will easily be able to swap to the later sitting. In these days of stabilised ships, there is little to distinguish between forward or aft or up or down. I would suggest that you save the money, go with the cheaper fare and use the extra for drinks on board.

The later sitting is what I would probably want and is much more in tune with when I would actually eat at home. You're certainly right regarding the location, I didn't even give this much thought until Cunard spoke to me about it yesterday. I do enjoy a drink or two and the extra money would be most welcome!

Cunard in the UK has 3 different Prices, 1 The Cunard Fare the most expensive , You pay a NON refundable deposit & the Remainder 90 day before the cruise, You get Choice of cabin & Dinning & maybe some O.B.C.

2 Cunard, Early Saver Fare nearly the same as the Cunard Fare but with EXTRA O.B.C. & a lower deposit.

3 Saver Fare you pay for a grade of cabin on a Guarantee basis & Cunard allocates the cabin NO choice of Dinning times & NO O.B.C. & you pay the fare in full at time of booking with NO refund.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you on this one. As the OP is completely new to cruising, my advice would be to go for a midship cabin. Everyone reacts differently to sea travel, some feel every movement others really don't notice. I think it's a personal thing - but if it were my first cruise, I'd go for the safe bet. :)

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you on this one. As the OP is completely new to cruising, my advice would be to go for a midship cabin. Everyone reacts differently to sea travel, some feel every movement others really don't notice. I think it's a personal thing - but if it were my first cruise, I'd go for the safe bet. :)

It's the Med in August. I know weather can be unpredictable but you'd have to be pretty unlucky to encounter serious seas on what the OP is booking. And Captain P is right, there is very little difference between different parts of the ship motion wise (and people's sensitivities vary too - I personally handle pitching better than rolling, so front is better than mid or aft in a storm for me!) Go with the cheapest option.

:eek::eek:

Hi all,

I'm quite restricted with dates and have found a med cruise on Queen Victoria that departs on the 8th August 2015 for 7 nights. I've called Cunard and they are offering $150 onboard spend per person if I book before the end of September. In your experience is it worth holding off or would now be the right time to book. I would like a balcony and the lady on the phone said that mid ship is best!? What are your thoughts? When do cruises such as this typically sell out

Hi there again,

With it being your first trip, I would go for the full fare and choose what you want and you may learn something if you choose another cruise. As for children, we sailed on the Q.V. end of July into early August and not being a fan of loads of children, we had just over 100 on ship, but in fairness to all well looked after by the staff no trouble at all.:cool:

Cunard in the UK has 3 different Prices, 1 The Cunard Fare the most expensive , You pay a NON refundable deposit & the Remainder 90 day before the cruise, You get Choice of cabin & Dinning & maybe some O.B.C.

2 Cunard, Early Saver Fare nearly the same as the Cunard Fare but with EXTRA O.B.C. & a lower deposit.

3 Saver Fare you pay for a grade of cabin on a Guarantee basis & Cunard allocates the cabin NO choice of Dinning times & NO O.B.C. & you pay the fare in full at time of booking with NO refund.

When I've been looking at certain voyages on Cunard's website, I've noticed that Princess and Queens Grills don't seem to be included in the Early Saver and Saver Fares. I don't think this was the case previously with Getaway Fares. So it seems you always have to pay the full price if you want a Grills room.

Just don't leave it until the last minute (when fares are often at their lowest for the UK) or you may be stuck on deck 4 forward, which is extremely noisy! If you can, stay off deck 4. If you decide to book way in advance, and if you are going for a balcony cabin, you might want to think about the rooms with slightly larger balconies, where the ship juts out after the lifeboat area. Some love them and some hate them.