PG and Reef Walking

Reef walking is mostly outlawed in the South Pacific and on the Great Barrier Reef.

The damage being done to our reefs by tourists is growing at an alarming rate.

There is many ways to enjoy the reef rather than walking all over them, so please reconsider and perhaps snorkel or take a glass bottom boat instead.

Coral reefs are very fragile living organisms and need our respect as well as our enjoyment.

Thankyou!

Colin.............................

I think Colin may be overstatng the case a bit.

Here's what the Queensland Government EPA has to say about reef walking-

"Reef walking is a great way to explore areas of reef uncovered at low tide. You can interact closely with the marine environment and discover a variety of marine plants and animals. Although reef walking is fun, special care is required as there can be negative impacts on the reef."

Have fun Wee!

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks_and_forests/recreation/reef_activities/reef_walking/

I don't know anything about the laws governing reef walking in French Polynesia, but I do know from my three trips there that there isn't much tide variance in that region. So trying to see more of the reef at low tide would give you only an inch or two more of a view.

Thanks,

Richard icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I guess what one considers reef walking is important in this discussion. If one means wearing aqua shoes of some type to protect their feet from shell fragments, dangerous shells (such as cones) "shoaly beaches" etc. that is fine. But if one wishes to stand on live coral to get a better view or for whatever other reason that would be an extremely irresponsible thing to do.

I do know that on the island of Tahiti itself, there are surfing contests beyond the protective reefs, where the surfers walk over the exposed reef to get to unprotected water. I was told that the coral and other material that is above the water line is dead.

But again, if "reef walking" is done at low tide to allow one to see marine life that is below the water at high tide, FP is just not the place to do it. There is virtually no tide variance.

Thanks,

As much as I loved the motu day (Taha'a), I was appalled at the condition of the coral off the beach area. It's obvious that it has taken a beating, and so the snorkeling isn't as good as it would be if the coral were healthy/undamaged.

When we became certified to SCUBA dive about 15 years ago, we took our first diving trip to Bonaire, and were required by the hotel, to attend an informational/educational meeting before our first dive. I was so glad to learn how to enjoy the coral and sea life without ruining it for others. I wish all of the cruise ships and hotels in FP (as well as the Caribbean and other popular snorkeling/diving areas) would do the same for their guests. It takes years to grow an inch of coral, and seconds to destroy it. This is not meant to lecture anyone, just wanted to "get this off my chest" as it really bothered me to see the destruction in the areas in FP where we snorkeled. We didn't SCUBA dive while there, so I can't comment on the condition of the coral in deeper water.

On all of the snorkeling excursions we've taken from the PG in FP, we have been instructed to avoid contact with living coral, and to refrain from bringing back anthing found in the water. Sometimes the currents made it difficult to stay out of the coral, but I think everyone tried.

I seem to recall hearing a story that the reef near Taha'a had been wrecked by a storm year ago. In any event, the reef and snorkeling is MUCH better at the motu on Bora Bora.

Thanks,

Hi lastlook - we went to Bonaire in 1998 and I agree with you that they do the best job of educating people on how to avoid damaging the coral of any place we have traveled (and we have been to numerous different places in the Caribbean and Hawaii). I'm really looking forward to our upcoming trip to FP even if the snorkeling isn't what it used to be. I doubt if we'll ever again see the variety of corals that we saw in the early 1970's before tourism and hurricanes started taking their toll.

Hi Kathy - I hope you find some good snorkeling if you take the organized snorkeling tours. I agree with Richard, that of the two motus, the snorkeling off the Bora Bora motu was better (we went off to the left of the beach/bar area in fairly deep water there.)

We didn't take any of the organized snorkeling trips while on the PG, as we knew we had plenty of time to snorkel the 2nd week from the OWB on Huahine. I'm so glad that Richard mentioned that they do cover protecting the coral, etc. on those guided trips.

We considered diving through the PG, but found so many other things we wanted to see/do, that we skipped it. Hope to make it back there some day to do some diving. In the meantime, we've booked another RSSC cruise in the Caribbean for next Feb., so hope to do some diving there as well as snorkeling. Have a most wonderful trip when you go!

I am glad to see there is some responsible cruisers out there. thanks everyone, you give me heart faith that we can enjoy without being damaging

Cheers colin............

• 2 months later...

What do you mean 'reef walking'? Do you actually walk on top of coral, or just walk around the beach? Next to dinamite fishing, snorkelers stepping on coral cause the second biggest damage. And cruise passengers, being novice novice snorkelers mostly, innocently step on wherever they can stand to adjust their mask or whatever. Stepping is the very worst thing you can do to a coral. Just go to Hawaii or Caribean and see. There's no healthy coral left. Even Bonaire is in sad shape.

On Tahaa we walked through the water seperating the PG island with the next little island. That was fun but sure glad we had reef shoes on.

We then walked close to the barrier reef and just looked at it. We did not walk on it. Sure could hear the ocean crashing on the other side.

• 3 weeks later...

Having just returned, I am sad to report that some of our fellow passengers did indeed use their reef walkers to bounce along in the water stepping on whatever was in their path be it live coral or not. Some were injured by the coral, some caused no damage to themselves but to the coral only. We used our comments card to point this out as an area where RSSC needs to educate their passengers on protecting the precious reef.

Archived