Snorkeling

Katiern2008

I will be in Cozumel November 14 on the Norwegian Sun and really want to go snorkeling. The excursions offered through the cruise line are Palancar Snorkeling & Playa Mia, Fury Catamaran Snorkel &Beach Party, Three Reef Snorkel by boat, and Chankanaab Beach Park & Snorkel. My main interest is snorkeling so I don't care if it includes time at a beach and I would love to see more then just fish. Any recommendations for these or other, non-cruise line offered excursions?

Chankanaab is an amazing snorkeling place and we have been twice so far. I have 2 reviews listed in my signature line that you are welcome to read and they have tons of pictures included (especially the second time we went). :)

I have to add, it is SO easy to do on your own, there's no need to book with the ship.

Edited by mitsugirly

If you want to see coral plus fish you need to take a boat trip to one of the reefs. Most of the shallow coral was smashed when Hurricane Wilma went through. It is coming back but the good stuff is out on the deeper reefs. We did Playa Palancar's boat trip a few years ago and it was pretty good. Chankanaab has a lot of fish but the coral has not recovered yet. Same thing with the Money Bar, Playa Uvas and Playa Corona. Been to to all of them.

I just booked the Palancar Snorkel and Playa Mia after reading the reviews. It claims to go to two excellent reefs and I did manage to find pictures on Tripadvisor. I'm on the same cruise as you BTW! Nov 9-16.

Beverly

We were happy a couple of years ago with the snorkel tour booked with Eagle Ray.

I would advise against any snorkel tour booked through the ship. IMHO you can do better for less money on your own.

Every time I have snorkeled in Cozumel I have booked through Island Marketing and done the glass bottom boat tour snorkeling. This excursion takes you to 3 reefs in small groups - I have never done one with more than 6 people and twice done it when it was just my 2 kids and myself. One time the star fish were migrating and we made an extra stop to snorkel in a star fish breeding ground- it was amazing!

Every time I have snorkeled in Cozumel I have booked through Island Marketing and done the glass bottom boat tour snorkeling. This excursion takes you to 3 reefs in small groups - I have never done one with more than 6 people and twice done it when it was just my 2 kids and myself. One time the star fish were migrating and we made an extra stop to snorkel in a star fish breeding ground- it was amazing!

Hi --

How old are your kids? I'm trying to determine if our kids are old enough to snorkel.

Thanks!

Hi --

How old are your kids? I'm trying to determine if our kids are old enough to snorkel.

Thanks!

Each child has their own comfort level when it comes to snorkeling. Do they like the water? Are they comfortable being in water that is constantly moving instead of still like a pool? Have they been exposed to the ocean and the salt water? I think each child is different. Our daughter (who is now 6 years old) has been snorkeling with us since she was 3 years old. She loves the water and the beach. We exposed her at a very young age by just having her float in the water looking down and seeing the fish in the clear water until she got comfortable with that. Then we purchased her some goggles. She snorkels right along side of us every where we go now whether it's from the beach or out in the middle of the ocean from a boat. :)