Hotel near LGA precruise

goldencruiser

We are trying to decide the best/easiest access hotel for my elderly parents. They are flying into LGA 10/3 and cruising the next day out of Brooklyn. We are now thinking that they should stay near LGA because their flight arrives around 8pm. This way they can get to hotel and relax and then cab it to Brooklyn the next day. They are looking for a hotel with a restaurant and walking distance (if possible) to a liquor store (cheap wine) and also a CVS/Walgreens type store. Any suggestions are welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What's your approximate hotel budget and expectations for the LGA area? The 3 stars+ property do have on-site restaurants but NOT necessary on my recommended list (been to a # of them for banquet & brunches, etc.) as we are 10 minutes NE of LGA across the Flushing Bay overlooking the runways. Any specific preference for dinner or just the basics?

Most of the 3 stars hotel in downtown Flushing, a/k/a NY's newer/largest (nowadays) Chinatown have free shuttles to/from LGA, 10 to 15 minutes away (no need for car service/taxi/*Uber, etc.)

The downtown Walgreen (formerly Duane Reade, merged) on Main Street & Roosevelt Ave is open 24/7 (as is McDonald & Burger King nearby - with windows/counter service after midnight to 6 AM but 24/7 otherwise.) There's a liquor store 2 blocks away, near the Sheraton LGA/Flushing, the newly opened Hyatt Place LGA/Flushing, and an independent hotel - the Parc Hotel, 2 blocks from the subway train station - across the street from indoor Skyview Mall Shopping Center (has an Applebee's & a Food Court and Asian supermarket, etc.) There's also a limited service Ramada nearby - just avoid the HoJo, Comfort/Quality brands & Motel 6's as we considered their standards as below acceptable & aren't much cheaper.

Use a site like Agoda to check rates - Sheraton is much older & rack rates are still higher but down lately ($210 + ) with more competition. HP is about $185 + taxes/fees, Parc is about $160 + taxes/fees, and the Ramada is a little below, looking at Friday night stays for October. Rates are higher for September due to U.S. Tennis Open nearby as it's a busy month for hotels across N.Y. City.

Car service (Dial7 & Carmel, our favorite) to Brooklyn Pier is around $45 to $50 + 20% tipping and no tolls, and there's several local neighbhorhood car services, including one that we used - for similar prices.

A # of closer hotels with free shuttles are across the Grand Central Parkway, just outside LGA and are fine for overnight stay, but there's nothing really within walking distance in terms of pharmacy & liquor store - without using public transit (buses) or car service - given the late ORD-LGA arrival time. Of course, one can always order restaurant delivery to the hotel & do "in-room" late dining after first checking in ...

Hotels in Long Island City and/or Astoria area are closer to Manhattan & for riding over to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal but some do NOT offer free shuttle services, so their "lower" rates won't be saving money - the La Quinta on Queens Blvd. is in a busy commercial strip with numerous ethnic restaurants and would also be worthy of pricing for a stay.

What's important to helping your folks in their pre-cruise stay?

Their budget is $150-225. As far as dinner, they would be happy with something as simple as a burger.

Thank you for all your information. I will share this with them and find out which location (right by LGA or in the Flushing neighborhood).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My parents have decided to stay close to LGA. We are looking at the Marriott. They have breakfast and they can get dinner after they arrive. I will look into getting them a reservation with one of the car services you recommended.

Thank you

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app