Snorkeling on a budget?

KatieCharlotte

I am cruising to Cozumel with friends who have experience scuba diving and snorkeling years ago. They would like an inexpensive, relaxing day with a little snorkeling. One has her own snorkel gear but would prefer not to bring it if possible. I don't care if I snorkel -- I just want a day at the beach, preferably with some kind of fun activity like paddle boarding.

I had been thinking of Paradise Beach because it has a little of everything for under $20 per person. However, one friend asked if there's coral, and I'm pretty sure there isn't. When I was there a couple years ago, my husband and daughter enjoyed snorkeling but saw only fish. I don't want them to be really disappointed in their snorkeling on an island known for great diving.

I'm fine with splitting up for the day if they want to do a boat dive, but I know budget is a big issue for them.

Are there any beaches where I can have fun and they can swim out (or take a *cheap* boat tour) to see actual coral? It doesn't have to be the best on the island, just some snorkeling they will enjoy.

I am cruising to Cozumel with friends who have experience scuba diving and snorkeling years ago. They would like an inexpensive, relaxing day with a little snorkeling. One has her own snorkel gear but would prefer not to bring it if possible. I don't care if I snorkel -- I just want a day at the beach, preferably with some kind of fun activity like paddle boarding.

I had been thinking of Paradise Beach because it has a little of everything for under $20 per person. However, one friend asked if there's coral, and I'm pretty sure there isn't. When I was there a couple years ago, my husband and daughter enjoyed snorkeling but saw only fish. I don't want them to be really disappointed in their snorkeling on an island known for great diving.

I'm fine with splitting up for the day if they want to do a boat dive, but I know budget is a big issue for them.

Are there any beaches where I can have fun and they can swim out (or take a *cheap* boat tour) to see actual coral? It doesn't have to be the best on the island, just some snorkeling they will enjoy.

I would suggest researching The Money Bar and Buccanos.

I have enjoyed visiting both locations, and although I haven't snorkeled at either both are recommended for snorkeling from the shore and equipment is available for rent. Both have good food and drinks, service and restrooms.

Money bar is just a bar with small sandy area with loungers. It receives good reviews for snorkel but personally I would be concerned about the boat traffic.

Buccanos is much bigger and has more activities, and a pool. (Some complain, "too busy" with some cruise ship excursions but we enjoyed it finding quiet loungers back in the palm trees, with a view but not directly on the small beach area.) The beach itself is quite small and rocky in parts which is necessary for snorkeling.

My biggest problem with Buccanos is the inconsistent pricing policy. We visited while staying on the island and I believe we paid 100 peso entrance credited back towards food and drink. I think the cruise ship visitors rate is non- refundable $10 to include snorkel equipment, whether you need it or not, and guide if required. This may work out OK for you but I would contact direct if you want up to date policy. Taxi fare from southern piers would be about $15 each way for 4 people, less from Punta Langosta.

I found this video which indicated reasonable snorkel. Beware there is a current at most Cozumel locations and you have to be aware which way it goes for drift snorkel. Also the close shore reefs were mainly destroyed in the big hurricane a few years back but I understand they have dropped artificial reef balls both here and at The Money Bar.

There are many reviews for both places on Tripadvisor but if you search Buccanos "snorkeling and tequila tasting tour" I found one review with photos which I think gives a very accurate description. I know for a fact I saw Stand up Paddle board groups at Buccanos. If you are interested in either location after checking out their websites I would email for further details an current pricing.

Or Corona beach, It is a short ride from the pier and last time I went there was no admission fee, but they do like it if you to make a food or drink purchase.It is a small mom and pop type of spot no large crowds and decent snorkeling. Do a search on it for more info , I know I might have left some things out.

Another option is Playa Uvas. It's just down the beach from Chankanaab. For $12 you get snorkel equipment rental, a guided snorkel tour, use of the beach and pool facilities and one drink. They have a restaurant and bar onsite as well as add ons for other activities. It's one of the best budget options.

Been to all of the above. Playa Corona or Playa Uvas would be my pick for the most inexpensive and less crowded snorkeling. Both are just past Chankanaab Park and can be had by taxi. We reserved Uvas last year and it was pretty nice. Saw one of the biggest Groupers that I have ever seen. Food is good at both places but I believe that the service was better at Uvas. Snorkeling is OK but the best is by boat.