Venice ?s: Walking vs People Mover & Tronchetto

syesmar

Was in Venice in July & have a few questions about walking the bridge vs. the People Mover + using the Tronchetto stop for the vaporetto.

1) I noticed a number of passengers walking over a bridge near the People Mover (Maritima stop) instead of taking the PM (for our days in port, not for embarking with luggage). Looking at google maps, it would appear that from where the People Mover Maritima stop is, it's only about 6 minutes to walk to the Vaporetto that goes to Murano (on the far end of Piazzale Roma near Ponte Senza Nome). If one already had tickets, this would seem a good option. For those who've walked it, is that correct?

2) It was very hard to find a seat on the vaporettos in July & I wondered about taking the Vaporetto from Tronchetto instead of P Roma when we were there, but didn't want to lose precious time if I was wrong.

This passenger took the Vaporettos from Tronchetto instead of P Roma & had a good experience:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42577985&postcount=10

I'm guessing the best option for this scenario would be to take the People Mover to Tronchetto instead of Piazzale Roma, but I'm curious how long it would take to just walk there (hard to say without knowing where the ship will be, but say from the Maritima People Mover stop). Anyone done this?

THANKS!

Edited by syesmar

I would just walk over to Tronchetto, I wouldn't waste time waiting for the People Mover. It's a really short walk and there's a sidewalk across the bridge. You can see all of this on google street view.

The downside of using the Tronchetto vaporetto stop is that far fewer boats stop there so you might wait a long time for the next one, while Piazzale Roma is a main hub and there are boats through there every couple of minutes.

You can see what I mean on the map of the vaporetto lines: http://www.actv.it/sites/default/files/mappa%20linee%20di%20navigazione_01%20aprile_%202014_A4_nuovo_layout_DEF%20web%282%29.pdf

Edited by euro cruiser

Thanks, euro cruiser!

When I looked at the schedule while we were there, the #2 line going to San Marco from Tronchetto seemed like it would've been easier to find a seat on to enjoy the Grand Canal (in July, at least).

Thanks for the advice! Going to try it next time for line #2.