How Dressy are TransAtlantic Cruises?

Silvery Seas Cruiser

Dressier than Caribbean or Alaskan cruises, for sure.

Transatlantic passengers are generally older, there will be fewer families and children, people have time to change for dinner because they aren't rushing in from beach or other shore excursions, and they do tend to dress up.

A surprising number of people use transatlantics as a way to get from their winter home to their summer home, and there are no flights involved for them.

Thank you so much, Cruise Stitch. That is exactly the detailed answer I was looking for. We'll be on Eclipse. We usually do the two-week Southern Caribbean cruise on Eclipse and have found that cruise to be quite dressy, as compared to, say, our shorter cruises on Allure and Oasis.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to do "lightweight dressy." I never had to worry about how much my clothes weighed on our Caribbean cruises.

Generally, you'll see more formal wear - but ladies may wear the same dress more than once. The packing IS an issue, especially when you have to add shoes, bags, wraps.

On one of our TAs a lady at the next table wore the same dress every night - my pont being that you'll see some of everything.

Since the inside temperature will be the same as what you experienced in the Caribbean, there is no need to pack heavier dressy clothes -- throw a pretty shawl in if you think you might be chilly (assuming you're a female:))

Dressy clothes, yes. But depending on the year and route we have been handed chilled towels at the pool or blankets when reading outside. I agree that formal nights may be a tad dressier but I also was surprised at the number of long formal gowns on the Reflection two years ago in the Caribbean. You might want to pack one warm pair of slacks and a pull over in case you have a chilly crossing for outside activities. I always have a warm sweater or pullover I wear on flights because they tend to be cold that I can then add on during cruises.

We are looking at taking a trans-Atlantic cruise next April. I was just wondering if these cruises are especally dressy or do they tend to be a bit more casual because most people will have to travel light for the flight home.

We will be going on our 4th TA next year. You will see all kinds of dress from casual and up for dinner. All nights except formals (likely there will be three), women wear slacks, short dresses etc. Men often wear khakis and polo shirts, or button downs. Some wear jackets even on casual nights.

Formal nights you'll see anything from women in slacks with jackets or rather fancy (sometimes) shirts and blouses to long or short gowns. First cruise, one lady had a huge hoop dress that was pretty comical, since she really couldn't fit between tables or sit down. Last cruise, two women who operated a dress shop in Europe, came dressed every night in a different gown, parasol etc. They came down the long staircase from the 2nd story of the MDR, posed for pictures and then went somewhere:confused: Never saw them eat. Last time there were two men at our dining table and formal night one wore a sports jacket and the other a suit, same jacket and suit all three nights. You'll see some in tuxes and many not..

Packing is a challenge. We have learned that we take one basic color of slacks and skirts for evening wear and several different blouses/jackets that match both - always wear outfits to nightly dinner at least a couple times.

I would suggest that you go to a few roll calls for next Spring and ask this same question. It is likely that the majority of people on those roll calls are seasoned TA cruisers and they have lots of suggestions and advice.

We've been on three TA's--I'd say they were dressier than most Caribbean cruise, with an older, often more traveled, crowd.

Love those Transatlantics! We may not be on any for a few years as grandkids are just entering high school sports. Among them, we will have all seasons covered--volleyball, basketball, track.

i guess each cruise is different. We have done 2 Celebrity B2B cruises where one part was a TA. And on one cruise the TA was first and on one B2B the TA was second. And each time we felt the dress code was more casual on the TA portion. Not sure exactly why. We got the feeling that as the long stretch of sea days went on, people seemed to dress more casually. On all our cruises, we never missed dressing up on formal nights. Until that third formal night on the TA portions. We just felt we needed a break. So we missed the main dining room and ate in a more casual setting.

I really appreciate all of your advice. I like the idea of planning around one basic color with accessories and accents in colors that combine well. We tend to avoid the MDR, so that will help with being reluctant to wear repeat outfits. I might even wear the same formal outfit all three nights...maybe changing up the necklace or shawl.

On Caribbean cruises I always bring way too many shoes. I suspect a TA will require far greater self discipline.:eek:

Again, I do appreciate all of your advice.