Actually pleased with saver price fares!

catperson02

Having read numerous posts complaining about P&Os pricing policies I felt that I had to comment that I have been pleasantly surprised with my(limited) experience. Working in education may mean that I have to book in the school holidays but I do know term dates up to 2 years in advance so am able to book as soon as the cruises are released. It also means that booking this early I have no problems getting a cabin to accommodate myself and my 2 daughters. Ok on this years cruise some people did pay less but this was only a couple of hundred pounds and some were very unhappy with their cabin position and dining arrangements.

For next years cruise in August 2015 the select fares are currently significantly higher than I paid, to book today would cost almost £1000 more. I noticed that early saver fares which appeared today are almost the same as what I paid for my select fare.

So to sum up in my case the pricing policies have definitely worked in my favour, I have no doubt that others will disagree but for the record I am a happy cruiser!

I think you are talking about Early Saver fares and not Saver which come out a lot later. However, having said that, for my cruise this October the Saver fare with 5 weeks to go is £200 more than we paid a year ago for Select. Balconies and up are sold out and our single friend would have to pay £700 more than she paid a year ago. So for our particular cruise, yes we are very happy. The Select fares are considerably more than we paid.

I think for the more common cruises, Canaries, Baltic, Fjords, then the Saver fares are probably better.

Edited by jeanlyon

Ooops yes, that will teach me to do too many things at one time. I don't know if it is possible to change title to Pleased with select fares which is what intended to put.

For many cruises this year the late booker has not had the massive discounts of the last few years and some people who have waited for price falls have missed out alltogether.

For early bookers this is good news. For those who need to look for a bargain, not so.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I actually changed my booking from an early saver to a select fare.

If I took in the free parking and OBC there was only £65.00 difference. For that I have peace of mind knowing that I have my preferred dinner sitting , table size and knowing where my cabin is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was looking at the current fares for our Christmas cruise on Arcadia today. The early saver fare is somewhat higher than the amount we paid, and of course the Select fare is higher still. Of course, this could all change when 'late saver' fares appear.

We booked this cruisejust about a year ago as a Vantage Fare. In November last year, when Vantage Fares were replaced by Select Fares, we received an email from P&O saying this:

"Turning to your booking with us in December. As mentioned above, we are reducing the Select Price on a number of departures and your cruise is one that has been reduced. We will continue to fulfill our Price Promise to you and because the Select Price has been reduced, we will be applying a complimentary on board spend to your booking, the amount of which is shown below.

Complimentary on board spend £140.00"

So this cruise is one for which the Select fare initially dipped below what we'd paid, but must since have increased to a higher level than initially.