Cinque Terre on your own from Livornia

lilghallinsf

Is it possible to do this trip on your own? We are very savvy and don't worry about finding our way around, renting a car, etc. Any tips would be helpful. Of course, I will do my own research but any tips are helpful for this. Will be there in April this year. We did Florence this past April and are considering this as an excursion.

Is it possible to do this trip on your own? We are very savvy and don't worry about finding our way around, renting a car, etc. Any tips would be helpful. Of course, I will do my own research but any tips are helpful for this. Will be there in April this year. We did Florence this past April and are considering this as an excursion.

It is not only possible, but we have done it several times! The best way is to rent a car for pick-up right at the Port. You then get an early start and drive directly to Riomaggiore (via La Spezia) where there is a decent paid parking lot/garage right in town (there is also free parking along the road that leads into town). From Riomaggiore you can use the train, boats, and your feet to explore several of the villages.

As to rental cars we recommend Sifracar (http://www.Sifracar.com) who is the local Hertz franchisee and will deliver (and pick-up) right at your ship's pier. They do cost a little more for this service, but it is convenient and they are reliable.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

It is not only possible, but we have done it several times! The best way is to rent a car for pick-up right at the Port. You then get an early start and drive directly to Riomaggiore (via La Spezia) where there is a decent paid parking lot/garage right in town (there is also free parking along the road that leads into town). From Riomaggiore you can use the train, boats, and your feet to explore several of the villages.

As to rental cars we recommend Sifracar (http://www.Sifracar.com) who is the local Hertz franchisee and will deliver (and pick-up) right at your ship's pier. They do cost a little more for this service, but it is convenient and they are reliable.

Hank

Hank,

I would appreciate your experience & advice:

We are planning to DIY at the end of October. I had originally planned to park in La Spezia & take the train to Riomaggiore. We are renting from Sifracar at the port at 7:30am.

If we are on the road by 7:45-8:00am & drive straight to Riomaggiore do you think parking will be a problem early in the morning & late in the season?

I think that would save time over parking at the train station in La Spezia.

We are in port 7-7 and it's a Thursday. We're hoping to take the ferry from Riomaggiore to Monterrosso for pictures from the sea then trains back thru the villages.

Thanks,

Cindy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hank,

I would appreciate your experience & advice:

We are planning to DIY at the end of October. I had originally planned to park in La Spezia & take the train to Riomaggiore. We are renting from Sifracar at the port at 7:30am.

If we are on the road by 7:45-8:00am & drive straight to Riomaggiore do you think parking will be a problem early in the morning & late in the season?

I think that would save time over parking at the train station in La Spezia.

We are in port 7-7 and it's a Thursday. We're hoping to take the ferry from Riomaggiore to Monterrosso for pictures from the sea then trains back thru the villages.

Thanks,

Cindy

We have parked at Riomaggiore on 4 occasions (in and out of season) and always found a spot. As you enter the town you will see the parking area (well marked) on your left and it has both outdoor spots and an indoor garage. I suppose it could fill-up on a busy weekend day, but we have never had that problem. Many Italians (and some tourists) will park along the road (that leads down into the town) where it is free...but those spots can be hard to find and you might end up with a long walk into town.

Parking in La Spezia would also be fine if your timing for the train is good. But when you return to Riomaggiore you would again have to time it for the train...which is why we just park in Riomaggiore.

Hank

Thanks Hank. I appreciate the advice. We want to get to Riomaggiore in time for the ferry but hope to have time to see it & take pictures as well.

You can drive it in a little less then 1:30 as long as you do not get lost in La Spezia. We have often posted how our GPS saved our marriage when on long driving trips in Europe :).

Hank