docking in Dover-have you been on time?

susiesan

We are sailing on the Insignia June 26, returning to Dover on July 10. I am using award miles for airline seats. I currently have a reservations on the Virgin Airways flight to Washington that leaves at 12:00pm. This is a Monday. Do those of you with experience at Heathrow think we will make this flight? I plan to have a car service pick us up at Dover around 7:00 am. Will we have enough time to get there? We are in Upper Class, so we have shorter lines to wait in. I'm going to try for a later flight, but I have to connect on Delta to Kansas City and get home all in one day. As of now there are no award seats on the Delta flights that connect with the later Virgin flights through New York,Miami, or Boston. Some people have said it takes 2 hours from Dover to Heathrow, but I wonder what Monday morning traffic around London is like? What do you all think? What has been your recent experience?

Susie

I really think you are cutting it very fine. I think you will be using the M2 and then the M25 and on bad days this can be chaotic. The M25 is the UK's busiest Motorway and just last week, parts were shut for hours due to accidents.

On good days it is really no problem to get to Heathrow in 2-3 hours but remember please that you will be approaching London in the rush hour around 9am.

I really do not wish to dampen your spirits but if you can get off a little earlier that would be better say 6.30 am. Better to get to LHR a little early as the Virgin Upper Class Lounge is superb with massage etc available.

Brian

We were off the ship by 6:15 but I think it was Saturday and at LHR by 8:30 after the bus driver went around twice because he missed the ramp to Terminal 4.....

I think you should be ok with the 12 noon flight but if you hit a back-up that may be a problem.

First, doublecheck with the airline, because currently, Flight 21 leaves at 11:30 some mornings. Anyhow, I agree with the other posters that you're cutting it a bit close if there's a traffic jam, but although you might run into normal rush-hour traffic, the driver will be able to reassure you that you'll make it in time, since he's probably more familiar with the road conditions than you are and he might have a few alternative routes up his sleeve. After all the excitement of the cruise and after waking up so early to be one of the first to leave the ship, we all fell asleep in the van on the drive to the airport, so there was no opportunity to be panicked by the appearance of heavy traffic. :)

But it's always good to have a back-up plan, or to allow the airline agents worry about the details if you need to find an alternate way to get back to MCI on a later flight from LHR through JFK, MIA, or BOS (especially if there are unsold seats available).

We are booked for the Barcelona to Rome trip. With adding one extra day at the end of our holiday, we will not be in any rush to leave the ship the morning of disembarkation. At least, not as early as poster noted, 6:30 am.

Question is, what time is the 'norm' for this situation? I was hoping more along the lines of 9 am. Thanks for any help.

My TA checked with Oceania-they said the Insignia will dock at 5;00am and any flights after 11:00am should be fine. But from posts I've read on other message boards, including from people who live in London, all it would take is one accident to screw up traffic. So I convinced my husband to stay one night in London unless I can get seats on a later leaving flight. Any hotel suggestions near Paddington station and the Heathrow Express train? Something around $100 a night?

The Hilton Metropole is about 1 mile from Paddington Station but I have no idea of the rates. I doubt that $100 will get you much as rates are similar to those in New York.

Just be a little careful of the cheap hotels near the station. Many are cheaper but they are very often used for Students and other late night workers..........

Brian

We will be on the Regatta June 6, 2006, sailing which will end in Dover on June 20th. The ship is scheduled to dock at 2:00 am...and we are booked on a Delta flight out of Gatwick at 11:00 am. What time can we disembark? Will we have enough time to make our flight home? Reading Susie's question and all the replies, I'm getting worried! If you have done this route, would you please share your experience. Thanks.... :confused:

The Hilton Metropole is about 1 mile from Paddington Station but I have no idea of the rates. I doubt that $100 will get you much as rates are similar to those in New York.

Just be a little careful of the cheap hotels near the station. Many are cheaper but they are very often used for Students and other late night workers..........

Brian

Brian,

Do you mean Rooms by the Hour!!

John

Guest kcruisin

We are booked on the Insignia 6/14 doing a round trip. We were looking at a flight out of Gatwich at 11:50am and our ta checked with Oceania. They advised nothing earlier than 1pm. I don't know where the early morning docking numbers are coming from, but Oceania lists an 8AM dock time and anthing earlier would be at the mercy of the authorities in Dover, I would think. You can buy your return transfer from Oceania and they would be responsible to get you there on time.

KColquitt: Your Insignia June 14 itinerary shows your ship docking at 7:00 am. Our June 6 itinerary on the Regatta shows the ship docking at 2:00 am. I've read somewhere that if you can disembark by 6:30, there would be enough time to get to Heathrow for a 11:30 flight. With Gatwick being closer, I hope we won't have a problem. I'm just not sure how early we can disembark.

When we docked in Dover we had a 1:30 ( afternoon) flight..

We had arranged a car pickup at 9:00.. we got off the ship and luggage was still coming off.. we had to wait for ours another half hour.

I don't know if they have "improved" the program for getting all the luggage off.. but it was really slow.:(

The ride was about 45 minutes to Gatwick from Dover ( and there were no traffic tie ups)- so if there would be then ofcourse give yourselves time for that too).

ClaudiaF and KColquitt: Thank you for your response. We are still waiting for an answer from Oceania to see if they can get us to Gatwick for an 11:00 flight....but it looks like we did not give ourselves enough time. :(

If they booked the air, Smurfne, for you.. they will get you there on time..or be responsible to you for that.

I just think that you would be cutting it very close.. even if you left the ship at 8 and it took 45 minutes to an hour ( no traffic)- own car- with ship bus.. longer- think packing in 50 people for transfers rather than 2 or 4 in a car... you would have maybe 2 hours.. but the lines could be long ...........which is usual when there is a cruise leaving..unless you are in biz class you may have shorter lines.. in any event .. would try to push it later if it was me-

heck this is stressing me out and it's not my flight .;)

Hi ClaudiaF: Thank you for "stressing" with me! My fault, I booked the air using our FF miles and at the time, given that the ship docks at 2:00 am, I thought an 11:00 am flight would be "no problem". My TA was in Europe...I couldn't check with him...and had to have the flights ticketed. If they let us get off the ship at 6:30 am, I think we'd make it. We are buying transfers to Gatwick from Oceania so we are waiting for them to let us know if it's ok...otherwise, I'll have to go back to Delta and "beg" them to put us on a later flight! :rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me if you have gotten off the ship at 6:30 before? Thanks...

LHT28: Thanks for the response...did you use Oceania transfers?

Yes and they make sure you are at the airport in time for your flight.

Our luggage was waiting for us to pick up before boarding the bus.

We at a noon flight at LHR, we were there by 8:30 am

We could have been scheduled on a later bus!!!

Archived