AT&T in San Juan and St. Thomas

eli1965

At&t's website says you can use your cell phone in San Juan and St. Thomas with no extra charges. Has anyone had first hand experience with this?

Yep..wife and I both use AT&T..been to San Juan and St. Thomas multiple time and used our phones as if we were at home...no additional charges at all using phones in those ports. We kinda "touch base" with folks at home from those ports.

Yep..wife and I both use AT&T..been to San Juan and St. Thomas multiple time and used our phones as if we were at home...no additional charges at all using phones in those ports. We kinda "touch base" with folks at home from those ports.

At&t's website says you can use your cell phone in San Juan and St. Thomas with no extra charges. Has anyone had first hand experience with this?

Yes, I called home from both of those "U.S." ports in January on my AT&T Nationwide plan. Before leaving on my cruise, I called AT&T just to make sure that it would be considered local calling area for me. They assured me it was, and sure enough, it was.:)

Just curious. If AT&T said SJ and ST are covered under their rate plan, than why are you asking perfect strangers if they are lying? I would think, AT&T would know the answer to the question, better than anyone on this board.

Just curious. If AT&T said SJ and ST are covered under their rate plan, than why are you asking perfect strangers if they are lying? I would think, AT&T would know the answer to the question, better than anyone on this board.

Yikes -- what is your problem? :confused:

So many of your posts seem intended to point a finger, stir the pot or get people riled up.

Enough already.

Yup! You will be good to go! ATT or Sprint will give you excellent service! It's one reason I love the USVI on week or two land based vacations, you know, so not only can I call and text back to the mainland whenever, but mostly FOR TAKING SELFIES AND POSTING THEM ALL OVER THE INTERNET AND OFTEN AS I WANT! This is great in the winter months, you got a lot of "I HATE U" comments :D

Seriously though they work great! This next tip is more for land based vacations and that is the only possible trouble you might have is way on the far east side of St Croix there might be no service. Oh and on a cruise tour if you happen to stray way east on St John, say past Maho Beach, I heard rumors ATT might try to pick up the BVI towers therefore charging you a ton should you use it. However I have been to Annaberg Ruins and did not see this at all, the phones just have zero service (both ATT and Sprint).

Ok, getting way off subject here as usual! Yes, you will be fine and take and post as many selfie pics as you can! WHOOP WHOOP!

We kinda "touch base" with folks at home from those ports.

Us too. We always try to drunk dial my sister and give her a hard time because we're on a cruise and she's at work. :D She hates that! ;)

And, YES, she HAS paid me back. :cool:

Us too. We always try to drunk dial my sister and give her a hard time because we're on a cruise and she's at work. :D She hates that! ;)

And, YES, she HAS paid me back. :cool:

Lol!! Yep...I get that.....one of my favorite targets is my daughter in law...next week we'll be on the Pride....cruising with her favorite...Mr. ChIzel...I'll send her a few choice pics of him back to her. If you know the Pride...you'll know who Mr. ChIzel is!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because ATT reps are only slightly better trained than Carnival reps. While you may think, you may want to think a little harder.

Lol!! Yep...I get that.....one of my favorite targets is my daughter in law...next week we'll be on the Pride....cruising with her favorite...Mr. ChIzel...I'll send her a few choice pics of him back to her. If you know the Pride...you'll know who Mr. ChIzel is!!

Then despite my 6th Pride cruise coming up in a couple weeks, I guess I don't know the Pride:rolleyes: 'cause I don't have a clue who you're talking about. Do you mean the statue of David?:confused:

Then despite my 6th Pride cruise coming up in a couple weeks, I guess I don't know the Pride:rolleyes: 'cause I don't have a clue who you're talking about. Do you mean the statue of David?:confused:

Yep....David himself in the flesh...or stone I guess...or maybe some kind of hard plastic actually on the Pride...

Yep....David himself in the flesh...or stone I guess...or maybe some kind of hard plastic actually on the Pride...

OK, thanks. I had never heard him called that. Yep, I suspect he's hard plastic - that's what he looks like.

Yikes -- what is your problem? :confused:

So many of your posts seem intended to point a finger, stir the pot or get people riled up.

Enough already.

It is a message board, and so far, everyone has answered the question incorrectly, and have given info, based on their experience only. AT&T has been around for a long time, and has merged other companies into their wings. AT&T requires when you upgrade you phone, you must get a new rate plan. Rate plans that are within the last 2 to 3 years cover PR and US Virgin Islands. However, many people have older phones, and have never "upgraded" to the new rate plans, that handle all the data. Those phones, may have rate plans grandfathered into AT&T. There are many people, that might read this post, and think it's ok, instead of going to their phone provider, in this case AT&T and finding out from the source. My response just pointed out how people don't trust the correct source of info, but yet, will rely on strangers to give them answers. Like I said, so far, this is the only correct answer, and everyone else answered incorrectly.

For the poster, go to your service provider, have the look at your rate plan, and let them tell you if you are covered. Don't relay on strangers to give you false info.