Paying for a upgrade?

Hi Everyone ,

Has anyone paid for an upgrade from one category to a higher one?

I was looking thru the website (American)that I booked thru and they have reduced their prices ,inside and outside cabins are all sold ,but the prices on balcony and suites are heaps lower.

I have read thru their rules and regulations and can't find anything about being applicable to new bookings only .

I have sent off for a quote to try to upgrade my cabin .waiting for a reply.

I will let you all know if it works or not.

I guess if I don't ask, I won't know .:)

Cheers Deb

Yes, I've done it 5 or 6 times now. On the phone direct with RCI. No problems.:)

Paid the difference on the spot to secure it.

Love those last minute Royal Family Suites.:D

The only catch is if you booked a sale fare originally, you lose the discount and OBC.

Edited by Aussie FF

Yes, I've done it 5 or 6 times now. On the phone direct with RCI. No problems.:)

Paid the difference on the spot to secure it.

Love those last minute Royal Family Suites.:D

The only catch is if you booked a sale fare originally, you lose the discount and OBC.

Thanks Aussie FF - will see what they say .Although I am a little concerned about losing my first discount , thought I figured the OBC would be lost .

Cheers Deb

I have tried here in Australia twice, but this is what I have come across both times: (prices are just for illustration purposes)

1. I book XXX cabin at $1900pp.

2. Prices drop and XXX cabin is now $1500pp and YYY cabin is $2000pp.

3. I call and say I would like to upgrade to YYY cabin (as it is only $100pp extra than what I paid), only to be told that if I want to upgrade, I have to pay the difference between what XXX cabin is selling for now and what YYY cabin is selling for now, meaning that to upgrade would cost me the difference between $1500pp and $2000pp. $500pp instead of $100pp. It's a bit frustrating :rolleyes:. Hopefully you have more luck with a US agent!

3. I call and say I would like to upgrade to YYY cabin (as it is only $100pp extra than what I paid), only to be told that if I want to upgrade, I have to pay the difference between what XXX cabin is selling for now and what YYY cabin is selling for now, meaning that to upgrade would cost me the difference between $1500pp and $2000pp. $500pp instead of $100pp. It's a bit frustrating :rolleyes:. Hopefully you have more luck with a US agent!

I'm guessing that's before final payment? Otherwise I don't see how they could effectively claim that you have paid less than you have i.e. add $500 on to $1900.

Thanks The_Big_M and Aussie FF,

You have explained it really well for me .

It is after final payment ,the price I paid is nearly the same

only about $100 difference as the suites that are now available .

I will wait now to see what the agent has to say, but it looks like I will be staying where I am for this cruise .

Will report back when I hear .:)

Cheers

Deb

Hi Everyone ,

Has anyone paid for an upgrade from one category to a higher one?

I was looking thru the website (American)that I booked thru and they have reduced their prices ,inside and outside cabins are all sold ,but the prices on balcony and suites are heaps lower.

I have read thru their rules and regulations and can't find anything about being applicable to new bookings only .

I have sent off for a quote to try to upgrade my cabin .waiting for a reply.

I will let you all know if it works or not.

I guess if I don't ask, I won't know .:)

Cheers Deb

Definitely able to be done with some TAs and also direct but some other TAs may not allow it due to perks associated with the cruise, if that is the case, weigh up your options.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Thanks The_Big_M and Aussie FF,

You have explained it really well for me .

It is after final payment ,the price I paid is nearly the same

only about $100 difference as the suites that are now available .

I will wait now to see what the agent has to say, but it looks like I will be staying where I am for this cruise .

Will report back when I hear .:)

Cheers

Deb

I am sure they will allow it. Good luck.:D

We have done it with a US TA after final payment. Just paid a little extra and we went from a balcony to a grand suite with RCL . Nice when it happens, but it does spoil you! Jennie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

yes, very hard to go back to plain balcony cabins once you have been spoilt.:D

I have done it with both TA and direct with cruiseline.

There can be problems with doing this during a sale price "For new bookings only" when you try to pay for an upgrade at a sale price that is not much more than the original price paid for the lower category you initially chose.

Money speaks though so most will upgrade for more $,s:)

Definitely able to be done with some TAs and also direct but some other TAs may not allow it due to perks associated with the cruise, if that is the case, weigh up your options.:D

US TA won't disallow it due to perks.

As said, the cruise line may not permit a specific offer depending on the new offer - an upgradable offer may still be more expensive. But if the cruiseline accepts it, the TA will. It's just that the new offer may involve trade-offs that make it less appealing.

Hi Everyone ,

Said I would give you the results of trying to buy a cheap upgrade ,I had a inside cabin 1044 , now have a balcony upgrade ,for a whole $177 ,but I did lose my $100 OBC ,happy happy ,happy .I have checked out all the worst balcony cabins out ,even if I get one of them,I will still be happy:) I am a happy chappy .Ear plugs if it is a noisy cabin lol.:)

Cheers Deb :D

Hi Everyone ,

Said I would give you the results of trying to buy a cheap upgrade ,I had a inside cabin 1044 , now have a balcony upgrade ,for a whole $177 ,but I did lose my $100 OBC ,happy happy ,happy .I have checked out all the worst balcony cabins out ,even if I get one of them,I will still be happy:) I am a happy chappy .Ear plugs if it is a noisy cabin lol.:)

Great result, lost some perks but up two categories for minimal cost.:D

US TA won't disallow it due to perks.

Most of my upgrades (by paying a small additional amount, not free) have occurred through my US TA without loss of perks. One Aussie TA has also upgraded me twice on the same cruise for no cost, with no loss of perks and added additional OBC due to price drops. It really does depend on so many factors, TA, cruise, pricing, etc.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Hi Everyone ,

I'd agree that trade-off was definitely worthwhile. :)