Discover card rewards for Norwegian

Loukable

Hello, I have discover card and my rewards offer a Norwegian gift card. I was wondering if anyone ever used discover card rewards for the Norwegian gift card.

I have $300 in rewards and I can get 3 orders of $100 gift cards. Here is my question: can I use all that money for on board credit? Like the restaurants, spas?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It appears you can only use a certificate (1 per booking) to book a cruise. The $100. ($200. reward) certificates are only good on 10 day or more cruises. Also, you have to book through their number.

I'm not certain, but it seems the future cruise rewards is a better deal--assuming you are onboard to purchase one. $100. off the cost of a future cruise plus $100. obc which can be applied to the FCR purchase-plus the reduced deposit which isn't a money saver but a convenience.

If I'm incorrect, someone will post a correction.

Edited by Rhea98

I would read ALL the fine print before selecting this for a cruise. My choice would be to use it for something local and easier to use/deal with. After all, you only cruise once a year (for most) and if there is some issue, it will go to waste.

Somebody bought us carnival gift certificates once and we never used them. Sad. Walmart, Kohls, Amazone etc would have been better.

It appears you can only use a certificate (1 per booking) to book a cruise. The $100. ($200. reward) certificates are only good on 10 day or more cruises. Also, you have to book through their number.

I'm not certain, but it seems the future cruise rewards is a better deal--assuming you are onboard to purchase one. $100. off the cost of a future cruise plus $100. obc which can be applied to the FCR purchase-plus the reduced deposit which isn't a money saver but a convenience.

If I'm incorrect, someone will post a correction.

Your comment re the FCR was little confusing, at least to me, so I'll try to clarify. When you purchase a FCR while on a cruise, you are essentially paying the full deposit on a future cruise which you will book and sail within 4 years of the purchase date. The cost of the FCR is $250 which is charged immediately to your ship board account. But, you get an immediate OBC of $100 to offset the cost, so essentially you have paid $150 for the future deposit. When you book, the full $250 is applied, so essentially, yes, you are getting $100 off a future cruise.

I am wondering about this too. i have a discover card and this is what is posted:

- Your certificate will only be applied to new reservations made through the Cruise and Vacation Desk at 1-877-835-8738 - http://www.cruiseandvacationdesk.com/dcbb.

- Your certificate may be combined with most cruise line offers, such as senior promotions, resident specials, and past passenger rates. Subject to availability, some restrictions may apply, please call for details.

- You may apply one certificate per room booked.

- Certificate amount will be applied towards lowest available cruise fare when received by the Cruise and Vacation Desk prior to your departure date.

- Certificates have NO CASH value.

- Payment must be made with your Discover Card.

$80 certificate is valid towards a 6-night or longer cruise in all Stateroom categories.

$120 certificate is valid towards a 6-night or longer cruise in an Oceanview or Balcony room.

$160 certificate is valid towards a 6-night or longer cruise in any Balcony room.

$200 certificate is valid towards a 10-night or longer cruise in all Stateroom categories

It looks like it is good for new bookings only and not existing booking. I would of love to use my discover cashback for OBC on my cruise

Your comment re the FCR was little confusing, at least to me, so I'll try to clarify. When you purchase a FCR while on a cruise, you are essentially paying the full deposit on a future cruise which you will book and sail within 4 years of the purchase date. The cost of the FCR is $250 which is charged immediately to your ship board account. But, you get an immediate OBC of $100 to offset the cost, so essentially you have paid $150 for the future deposit. When you book, the full $250 is applied, so essentially, yes, you are getting $100 off a future cruise.

Thanks. Based on what you wrote, I do understand it correctly (I've had people helping me grasp this concept in another thread :o ) even if I can't explain it correctly. Now it should be clear to others, too. ;)

We did this for the princess rewards once with discover, but yes - it's only good using their travel agent and on new bookings only and yes you can only use one certificate. In general, our take is that using those rewards elsewhere is a better deal since we don't like being tied to that travel agent. We did not use for our upcoming getaway cruise.

I looked at this awhile ago, as well.

Does anyone know if you can use it for CAS bookings? It looks to me like you can't, since you have to use that special booking phone number. That's why I didn't bother with it.

BTW, a great use of those Discover points is the rental car e-certificates. They CAN be combined with other promotions, and they work.

I just used a $40 National Rent a Car certificate for $20 in Discover points, and it worked with zero issue. The only two caveats I found:

1) I couldn't use it in Vancouver (probably only good in the US)

2) You can't use it toward taxes

But if you're renting a car in the US, this is a great value, and most major car rental companies participate in this on Discover's site.

Dear Loukable,

In my experiences with Discover Card with the New Owners.. It stinks. They told me in writing they would provide me with XXX dollars $USD if i charged XXXX . Low and behold after 6 months they finally did and numerous calls, eMails, FAXES, and a letter. I have a great disdain when they say one thing in writing and do a complete other. To me that is a LIE! My time is is not billable hours for that and it should have been.. :mad:

On the NCL Cards read, read, and reread the Fine Print. ;)

Hello, I have discover card and my rewards offer a Norwegian gift card. I was wondering if anyone ever used discover card rewards for the Norwegian gift card.

I have $300 in rewards and I can get 3 orders of $100 gift cards. Here is my question: can I use all that money for on board credit? Like the restaurants, spas?

I am wondering about this too. i have a discover card and this is what is posted:

It looks like it is good for new bookings only and not existing booking. I would of love to use my discover cashback for OBC on my cruise

Just use your discover cash back as a statement credit

Then at check in use your discover card for your onboard charged

in essence you just took your discover cash back and turned it into an Obc.

Simple and staring you right in the face.

Edited by luvtheships

Dear Loukable,

In my experiences with Discover Card with the New Owners.. It stinks. They told me in writing they would provide me with XXX dollars $USD if i charged XXXX . Low and behold after 6 months they finally did and numerous calls, eMails, FAXES, and a letter. I have a great disdain when they say one thing in writing and do a complete other. To me that is a LIE! My time is is not billable hours for that and it should have been.. :mad:

Yes you need to actually call them and sign up for the special offers

Getting a letter saying you qualify for offers does not suffice

You still need to activate those offers

See my post #11

Dear Loukable,

I've also had issues with Discover Card...so much that I cancelled the card after being with them for over 20 years and never once paying late. Hey, my money is good anywhere. Their lose is someone else's gain. Use whatever financial benefits you have locally.

Edited by NCLbigfan

Dear luvtheshios,

I wrote in American English. Sorry I guess you do not read.

We have always had a perfect credit score (100) . Never a late payment always in full.

"Called, numerous times". Not just for activation.

On a statement credit I find that best. immediate Credit against against the current billing cycle. Just prior to this I did our CHASE , which was way before Manufactures Hanover..

Inasmuch as I guess like in Cruise Insurance Primary Medical vs Secondary Medical.. NO WAITING to dallie..

I read and read the FINE Print always. As being shafted by Discover and others makes you do that too.

Oh you may want to apply to CHASE, a larger firm than Discover. Your able to ACTIVATE online, on the landline, cell phone, FAX, in person at a Brick and Mortar, and even by the USPS Land Snail Mail.

Oh is it because Discover card is Chicago-land now possibly why the great lack and uncaring ?

Yes you need to actually call them and sign up for the special offers

Getting a letter saying you qualify for offers does not suffice

You still need to activate those offers

Dear NCLbigfan,

Yes I have had Discover , Discover Card since they first came out.

Diners club as you may well know was the first Credit Card ever created. It was because of New Jersey business men wanted not to carry a lot of cash for dining. SO a need again created a function. Yes employing people... work? Jobs? Yess sir re ... --- ...

Discover Bank, De. bought Diners Club, sold it too for receivables a few times.

Now since DFS is Chicago-land it has , IMHO, gone down hill on the slimy slope. Maybe like carrying 33 golf clubs in a bag.. NOT Allowed even by the PGA eh...

I received the other day now another of Discover Cards eMails and US Postal tri-folds.. saying if I spent our thousands for a 1/4 of year they would provide me a thousand.

I tore it up again ! They do not keep a written and agreed upon promise! Court costs would be about 2-3 thousand so not worth the time, effort , and mental anguish over that amount.

On the Customer Service I had a few agents (7) say they would FAX and/or mail the material and DATA .. Guess what? The NY/NJ Bagel Hole.. yes Zero, Zippo, NADA. nothing.:mad:

SO yes what I say about Discover is the NJ word.. FORGETABOUTIT!

I think it would carry on a NCL card from Discover too..

I've also had issues with Discover Card...so much that I cancelled the card after being with them for over 20 years and never once paying late. Hey, my money is good anywhere. Their lose is someone else's gain. Use whatever financial benefits you have locally.
Edited by AAAAmerican

Dear luvtheshios,

I wrote in American English. Sorry I guess you do not read.

We have always had a perfect credit score (100) . Never a late payment always in full.

"Called, numerous times". Not just for activation.

On a statement credit I find that best. immediate Credit against against the current billing cycle. Just prior to this I did our CHASE , which was way before Manufactures Hanover..

Inasmuch as I guess like in Cruise Insurance Primary Medical vs Secondary Medical.. NO WAITING to dallie..

I read and read the FINE Print always. As being shafted by Discover and others makes you do that too.

Oh you may want to apply to CHASE, a larger firm than Discover. Your able to ACTIVATE online, on the landline, cell phone, FAX, in person at a Brick and Mortar, and even by the USPS Land Snail Mail.

Oh is it because Discover card is Chicago-land now possibly why the great lack and uncaring ?

Um ok feel better now

Lol

Edited by luvtheships