Pet Peeve, 2 for 1 fares...

StarFlyr

I realize EVERY cruise line uses this misleading promotion so it's never going to get changed. The first time I saw it, I thought WOW, what a bargain. Then, there's the so-called "Full Brochure Fare". To legitimately get away with that whopper, I guess the cruise lines have to post those fares at least one day before dragging out the "Early Booking Fare".

Then there's the free airfare plus all the other free bennies that really are built into the 2 for 1 fares. I would dearly like to see truth in advertising, but I realize as pointed out above, this will never change.

Wonder how many people see this fare garbage and then when adding up the real cost, decide they can't afford it.

Greetings, StarFlyr!

I suppose I see right past the advertising now after so many cruises, BUT it was the exact 2 for 1 advert that sucked hubby and me in for our 7 night honeymoon waaaay back with Radisson.

We, as are many who are new to cruising, were under the impression that 2 for 1 was as in any other shopping arena and were thrilled with the "bargain". Our kind TA at the time gently explained to us that was not the case. So - we talked at length and ended up doing the cruise anyway, albeit paying over time through her. It was a big financial leap, but we are glad we did it rather than chickening out. Now we are Regent devotees (although, still open to other lines if the price and itinerary are right)

Anyway, your point is very valid! It would be lovely to see this confusing "brochure price", "2 for 1", etc. confusion be completely eliminated so that the true cost could be seen up front. It's still confusing, but that's advertising for ya, right? Annoying but effective LOL

At present, we only look at the 2 for 1 column and know that is the per person rate prior to any non-use credits and the like.

Cheers and happy sailings!

AshD

And it is precisely because of people like the above poster that cruise lines continue to lie to the public. Will Rogers was never more correct than in this instance when he said "there's a sucker born every minute."

Imagine if a hotel tried to do the same thing. Full rate for deluxe room --- $1800. Two for one rate ---- $900.

As you say, basically every cruise line does this so it's easy to see through it.

But what's worse, for me anyway, is figuring out what's included on other lines. When we first cruised it was easy; you paid for drinks, tips and excursions, and that was pretty much it. But now there's so many hidden charges and addons that you need to do quite a bit of digging in order to figure out what your cruise will actually cost.

For example, I was doing research for our last cruise, and I decided to take a look at Azamara, a line I know very little about. Their website says "When we say everything's included, we mean it. Such as this selection of standard spirits, international beers and red and white wines by the glass." But immediately below this, they describe liquor packages, beer packages, wine packages, water packages (!), and dining packages.

I could have spent the time to sort through all this and come up with the actual numbers, but my first impression was so negative that I dropped them from consideration. Whatever else you can say about Regent, at least you know what you're paying for.

Greetings Wripro,

I am, by no means, a sucker. Without malice, I respectfully refuse to be lumped into that category simply because I was attracted by less-than-forthcoming advertising.

That being said, I believe a sucker would go blindly forward and complain later. We did neither when we booked our cruise. Yes, the hopes of a dream honeymoon gave us the reason to believe in bargains; however, after researching our findings (no dream bargain, but certainly a brand we were happy to try as our first cruise), we proceeded to book.

I do agree that the advertisements employed by most companies, large and small, are deceptive. It's the nature of the beast. Doesn't matter if it's cruises or dish detergent. What separates the intelligent consumer from the "suckers" is diligent investigation beyond the bells and whistles.

One would hope that anyone considering a Regent cruise, or any other luxury line for that matter, would certainly question the brochure cost prior to investing in that sort of holiday.

AshD

And it is precisely because of people like the above poster that cruise lines continue to lie to the public. Will Rogers was never more correct than in this instance when he said "there's a sucker born every minute."

It was actually P.T. Barnum who coined the phrase you reference.

wripro, I have a little trouble with your math. The invoice states a full brochure rate per person, therefore in your example the full rate for 2 would be $3600 and the 2/1 1800.

I was merely trying to provide an example, not a definitive price.

I thought that it would be nice to do away with the 50% off advertising until I saw a cruise without one. We received an email from Oceania today for their 2015/2016 itineraries and new ports (well, some of 2016). Although we rarely sail on Oceania, there was one itinerary that looked interesting for 2016. When I checked out the cruise on the website there was only one price for each category -- no 50% off category. After years of seeing the two columns, I wasn't sure if I was looking at the right price or not...... it did see a bit high. After checking a couple of more itineraries, I realized that the website was simply missing the second column. This can happen when there is a pre-release of itineraries.

I suppose we can get used to anything, however, if they do change, there will no doubt be an educational period for anyone who has cruised Regent or Oceania previously. There will probably be phone calls asking "is this really the price???". I was surprised at how dumbfounded I was with only one price.:o

Edited by Travelcat2