NCL Underage alcohol policy?

Mikä1539185720

Does anyone know what is the policy for beer and whine on NCL for a 20yo? My fiance and I will be cruising out of Miami in Feb. I checked the site and it says that the parents have to sign a waiver. She hasn't lived with her parents since she was 15 so thats not going to happen. Also, what about if a couple is married and one is under 21? I forget the cruise line but another one allows over 18/under 21 married couples to drink.

Does anyone know what is the policy for beer and whine on NCL for a 20yo? My fiance and I will be cruising out of Miami in Feb. I checked the site and it says that the parents have to sign a waiver. She hasn't lived with her parents since she was 15 so thats not going to happen. Also, what about if a couple is married and one is under 21? I forget the cruise line but another one allows over 18/under 21 married couples to drink.

I signed a consent form to allow my 18 year old son to drink beer and wine when we sailed on Breakaway to Bermuda a couple months ago. He then got a new ship card and was able to order beers.

The drinking age in a Bermuda is 18.

Per NCL:

The drinking age on all of Norwegian's ships is 21. However, passengers who are 18 to 20 years of age can purchase and consume beer or wine when the ship is in international waters (does not apply to Alaska or Hawaii sailings). A parent or legal guardian must be onboard the sailing with the minor and sign a consent form at the front desk.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Only parents or guardians can sign the form, they don't let others sign it. She will not be able to drink on the ship, but will be able to drink in the ports. Of course you could purchase for her but NCL may take exception to that (or they may not). Personally I wouldn't chance it.

You need to contact someone at NCL about this. Was she emancipated at 15? If so, it probably makes a difference. Contact NCL at publicrelations at ncl.com

She's 20 and you are her fiancé correct?

Ok she is legal adult except underage for drinking purposes on the ship and some states of course.

However she could drink beer and wine if an adult guardian signs a waiver correct?

Well then how old are you?

Are you not acting as her adult guardian while on the ship?

Better yet go to a judge and get married before the cruise and then you cruise as a legally married couple where special circumstances kick in for drinking purposes. Or so I have read here on cc. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Only parents or guardians can sign the form, they don't let others sign it. She will not be able to drink on the ship, but will be able to drink in the ports. Of course you could purchase for her but NCL may take exception to that (or they may not). Personally I wouldn't chance it.

Is he not her guardian? At least for cruising purposes anyway?

Will the ship even let her cruise at her age without someone that they deem to be her guardian?

The term guardian in this case is not a court appointed type if guardian anyway as she is a legal adult

It is a guardian to be responsible for her because she is under 21 and cruising that's all.

Same thing as when a parent takes a kids friend with them.

Or when a 22 year old teaches a 16 yo to drive

They are acting as the parent/ guardian for said timeframe.

During the cruise the fiancé is the guardian but that assumes he is of a certain age himself

I believe one cruiseline said 25 years old to act as a guardian but not positive

A call or 2 or 3 to Ncl is definitely needed here.

Edited by luvtheships

Is he not her guardian? At least for cruising purposes anyway?

Will the ship even let her cruise at her age without someone that they deem to be her guardian?

The term guardian in this case is not a court appointed type if guardian anyway as she is a legal adult

It is a guardian to be responsible for her because she is under 21 and cruising that's all.

Same thing as when a parent takes a kids friend with them.

Or when a 22 year old teaches a 16 yo to drive

They are acting as the parent/ guardian for said timeframe.

During the cruise the fiancé is the guardian but that assumes he is of a certain age himself

I believe one cruiseline said 25 years old to act as a guardian but not positive

A call or 2 or 3 to Ncl is definitely needed here.

LOL, a husband is a guardian, hadn't thought of that one:). NCL does have a policy that does allow married couples under the age of 25 to sail, but that doesn't mean that one can sign the alcohol waiver for the other. I have read a lot of threads where a non-parent adult wanted to sign for an 18-20 year old and NCL's answer has always been no (even if mom and dad signed the form but weren't on the cruise). Doesn't mean it won't or can't happen, but I expect there are very few exceptions to this policy. Sky won't fall if she can't drink for a week. (I expect though that if an exception would be made there's a better chance of it being made onboard.)

I wonder if this is a case where it would be better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission, especially if the two of them aren't acting like a bunch of drunk kids on spring break. Hard to tell though since OP can't spell "wine" correctly (whine?!?)...

So if they get legally married the husband of course becomes next of kin.

That means no parental signature could possibly be required.

Just throwing it out for debate that's all. As the op is using the term fiancé one must conclude they want to get legally married anyway and probably share the same address already anyway. Or is it politically incorrect to presume that? Lol

That little piece of paper could prove very handy in this case. Lol

And yes I read where the op stated drinking onboard was not really that important to them.

Lets do this one more time for those of you who are way out in left field:

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent.

Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on round-trip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

Lets do this one more time for those of you who are way out in left field:

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent.

Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on round-trip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

There you go trying to confuse people with FACTS!!! Of course it says parents and they are pretty strict about it as those parents that have taken their children and friends on board and then tried to sign for everyone. Not happening! Of course there are always a few that say to do what you want.

For the OP, just try to make a week without booze for the fiance, it will be ok.:)

I get the parent thing but just for arguments sake...

What about a married 20 year old?

What about an orphaned 20 year old traveling with an older friend?

Parents just do not always exist

Then those people don't drink in accordance with the policy. What's the mystery?

Then those people don't drink in accordance with the policy. What's the mystery?

It's no mystery to me. However the husband is next of kin and can ok the wine and beer access for his 20 yo wife.

To say that it must me a parent just is not realistic in certain circumstances.

Of course they are not legally married but if they were he is most definitely her guardian

Parents are of no concern when a couple is legally married regardless of the spouses ages

Edited by luvtheships

There are many legal exceptions to the "fact" everyone is trying to throw in by using the word "parent". I agree with you, wholeheartedly. I do hope the OP contacts NCL and lets us know what he found out.

Edited by SissasMomE

There's no "right" to drink. If you don't fall within the guidelines posted by NCL then you don't drink. Cruise next year and everyone will be legal and no problems.

Or........maybe they can. The thing is that as with any written policy by any company, you cannot possibly include every possible situation.

In this case, NCL isn't going to publish their policy and include "except if this or unless that or with the following conditions". They publish their general policy and as, in this case, it's not a legal issue (that part cannot be debated - if legally you have to be 18 to drink but NCL wants to restrict that further then NCL is not only free to do that but also free to make exceptions).

So the best advise has already been given. Call and ask. If they say that parent must sign, then I would ask again on the ship. If on the ship they say sorry, then it is what it is and she won't be able to drink and stay within NCL's policies.

Not everything is black and white when it comes to policies.

There's no "right" to drink. If you don't fall within the guidelines posted by NCL then you don't drink. Cruise next year and everyone will be legal and no problems.

They are already legal. This isn't a legal issue. It's one of NCL policy and procedure and as such, NCL is free to make exceptions if they see fit. OP will have to ask to find out if such an exception is available in their case.

I am not really talking about a "right" to drink

The point is that Ncl allows pax ages 18 to 20 to drink beer and wine with parental approval

I am suggesting that her fiancé is in fact her "acting parent"

There are many legal exceptions to the "fact" everyone is trying to throw in by using the word "parent". I agree with you, wholeheartedly. I do hope the OP contacts NCL and lets us know what he found out.

Thanks.

I have noticed from many if your posts that you are a totally rational and logical thinker

Quite refreshing as there are too few of us around these days! 👍👏

While there are a lot of legal exceptions I have yet to hear of NCL honoring any of them when it comes to their alcohol policy. Doesn't mean the OP shouldn't ask, but I wouldn't want the OP to get their hopes up.

luvtheships said: "I am not really talking about a "right" to drink

The point is that Ncl allows pax ages 18 to 20 to drink beer and wine with parental approval

I am suggesting that her fiancé is in fact her "acting parent""

So what you are saying is that during spring break anyone can board and say "I'm so and so's fiance and I give them permission to drink"? I do not see NCL buying that argument at all.

I know that OP's original question was about age requirement regarding beer & wine for his fiance who is 20, and as far as I can see the majority of the answers is about that. What about the fact that NCL does NOT allow passengers under the age of 21 to travel without a consent from their parents or legal guardians unless they are married....? Sounds to me like the cruise itself might be in jeopardy in this case, without a consent from parents or legal guardian....

Quote from ncl.com:

"For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a PARENT/GUARDIAN CONSENT RELEASE FORM that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to a Norwegian representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided." End of qoute.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#age-requirements

Edited - I now see that the above quote is only for passengers under the age of 18..... Sorry about the confusion on my part.... . :p

Edited by TrumpyNor

I know that OP's original question was about age requirement regarding beer & wine for his fiance who is 20, and as far as I can see the majority of the answers is about that. What about the fact that NCL does NOT allow passengers under the age of 21 to travel without a consent from their parents or legal guardians unless they are married....? Sounds to me like the cruise itself might be in jeopardy in this case, without a consent from parents or legal guardian....

Quote from ncl.com:

"For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a PARENT/GUARDIAN CONSENT RELEASE FORM that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to a Norwegian representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided." End of qoute.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#age-requirements

The part you quoted is talking about people under 18, not under 21. :confused:

People between 18 and 21 just need an adult in the same cabin.