Aft Cabin on Regatta

katz

I am thinking of booking an aft cabin on Regatta. It would be on Deck 8, A2. Here are my questions:

Is the veranda bigger than usual?

Is there noise from the upper decks?

Is the ride bumpier?

Any obstructions?

Any other things I should consider? I appreciate your opinions.

it is fabulous!

We had an A overlooking the wake of the R ships for our Baltic cruise.

The balcony is much deeper, and 4 chairs could fit on it. There was a bit of room for dancing on it while 4 of us listened to music and sailed through the archipelago leaving Stockholm.

Unfortunately, for the rest of the cruise, the weather was chilly, and my dream of spending all day on the balcony while sailing through the Kiel canal was short lived, despite jacket, blanket and gloves!

I would LOVE it for a Med cruise!

We did not hear noise, and certainly didn't feel it was rough, despite sailing the North and Baltic Seas.

Is the veranda bigger than usual?

From left to right (the width of your veranda) it will be the same size as any other cabin, but the depth (which is to say the distance from the outer cabin door to the veranda railing) is ten to twelve feet, as opposed to the four foot depth of a standard veranda.

001712.jpg

Is there noise from the upper decks? We found deck 8 to be exceptionally quiet, but with an active restaurant one deck above, you can't go into it expecting isolation tank conditions. :p

Is the ride bumpier? Marginally, but then the back and the front of any ship move more than the center (think of a pendulum). That's just physics.

Any obstructions? I don't consider this an obstruction, but I have heard others describe it as such, so in fairness I will mention it here:

The railings of the Verandas in those cabins at the stern are solid steel bulwarks rather than the openwork metal railings which are found along the sides of the ship.

000424.jpg000952.jpg Persons of a shorter stature (say below 5'2) may have difficulty in seeing over the sold railings whilst seated.

Any other things I should consider? I appreciate your opinions. When booking any Suite towards the stern of the ship, you should always consider the engine noises and vibrations. I won't say that these are insignificant at the stern of the R ships, but because they are a constant, steady, "white" type of sound, many of us are able to tune them out within the first few minutes, and get on with enjoying our cruise.

Unfortunately, like seasickness, there is a small minority who seem to be tortured by what the rest of us can easily ignore.

We stayed in an aft cabin on the 8th floor on the Regatta for Alaska last summer and liked it SO much that we are doing it again this winter. No noise from the Terrace Cafe (a single napkin drifted down one day); wonderfully deep deck; no untoward movement; we loved it! The only "issue" we had was someone calling anonymously on the phone one afternoon to accuse us of smoking on the veranda and throwing the butts overboard. We don't smoke and we were not on the veranda at the time. There's always going to be someone who likes to rain on the parade! It was a lovely trip in a great cabin -- do it!

Thank you everyone for your input. I will be booking an aft cabin for our 2016 cruise!!

Thanks, Stan and Jim for the pictures. I must be the perfect height for not being able to see over the rail, when seated,so that is just a fact of life with me. Of such small tragedies are our lives composed!! Maybe I should ask for a booster seat.

We were in an OS on Deck 8 on Regatta back in 2005. I had a torn meniscus so I there were a couple of days when I just stayed on board.

(For the record this is the only time we've been in an OS and that was a most reasonable upsell. Little did I know I'd NEED that OS because I was in a wheelchair or on crutches on that cruise.)

Sometimes we had a city view in port, but more often it was a view of the cargo areas. But I still prefer aft cabins to forward cabins.

This was a Med cruise so we didn't have a problem with rough seas ... or windy decks. And we had plenty of room for breakfasts on the deck ...

Of course, the OS on Regatta -- at least then -- didn't have the jacuzzi on the deck that Marina/Riviera have in the top suites!

We certainly didn't notice noise from above ... maybe I was more concerned about the problems with my knee ...

Mura