Alaska cruise

TotoSallyBella

Hi. I am new to this forum. My husband, 21 year old daughter, and myself are planning on going on a cruise to Alaska september 2015. How cold will it be on the deck, will long sleeve shirt and jacket be enough or will we need more? We have never been on a cruise before, so will probably have lots of questions later. Any helpful tips? Thanks!

Weather was good when we went 1st week of September several years ago, but it was rainy in Ketchikan. We were okay with sweaters, sweatshirts or just long sleeves most of the time. However, thought I was going to freeze in Glacier Bay. Definitely wished I had a heavy coat and a hat!

Absolutely LOVED that cruise! But be prepared for the cold, just in case.

Enjoy! And welcome to Cruise Critic!

Edited by CruiseMore1

Alaska is all about layering. That might be enough... But there are no guarantees. Take a fleece or sweatshirt, too. If you don't have one, they will be selling them in the shops on board, or buy one as a souvenir. You will definitely need it on the days you are cruising the glaciers. You also need a weatherproof jacket, as you almost always get rain somewhere, especially in Ketchikan. Take a hat and gloves, too. EM

We went in June, so the beginning of summer, not the end. We had read to take layers and that is very good advice. However, I also have to agree that when we were in either College Fjord or Glacier Bay, it was extremely cold on deck. Everyone had tons of clothing on, and were huddled under blankets, and it was still cold.

We sailed to Alaska last week. I posted my clothing comments in the Fashion Board. Bottom line? It was rainy and cold. Bring long pants/jeans. Bring a wind proof and rain proof jacket. I also had gloves & a fleece headband, all of which I wore. If your ship doesn't provide an umbrella, bring one! Layer, layer, layer :)

As others have posted, think layers. As another poster put it, dress like an onion. I did that on my Alaska cruise and 90% of the time I was fine. However when we went into Tracy Arm Fjord I thought I'd freeze the family jewels off,:D I really wished I had brought along my ski jacket - just for that one day.

Edited by Treven