Day Hotel room in Tampa post cruise

jpodds

Has anybody ever booked a room for a day after their cruise in Tampa? We'll be returning on November 15th on Vision Of the Seas and our flight just got bumped back from 3:30pm to 5:00pm...I would really like to do something besides sitting around the Tampa Airport for 7 hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Tampa Marriott connected to Tampa International Airport offers day rooms but they are only $30 off of the regular rate so you will still be paying upwards to $130 - 150.00.

The LaQuinta Tampa airport is located 5 minutes from the airport and offers complimentary shuttles. I do not think that they offer a day-room per say but their rates are budget friendly, especially in November. I would just pay the regular rate and check with the hotel that you will be needing the room early but then checking out early as well... If you have AAA or AARP you may save even more off of the rates.

The hotel is clean, has a decent swimming pool and is in an upscale area with the International Plaza mall directly across the street. For a quick lunch, there is an IHOP adjacent plus many other restaurants within walking distance.

Here is the LQ Tampa Apt link to check out rates or get the ph# to inquire about their day-room policy.

http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?propId=597&savedSearchQuery=%2Flq%2FproxySearchRes.do%3Favailability.palsra_IND_M%3D11%26availability.palsra_IND_D%3D15%26availability.palsra_IND_Y%3D2014%26availability.palsra_OTD_M%3D11%26availability.palsra_OTD_D%3D16%26availability.palsra_OTD_Y%3D2014%26availability.palsra_NRM%3D1%26availability.palsra_ROC%3D2%26availability.palsra_NCH%3D0%26availability.palsra_AMC2%3DNSMK%26availability.palsra_RPC1%3DAARP&saveRoomPref=NSMK

...I would really like to do something besides sitting around the Tampa Airport for 7 hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

we also will be cruising on Vision ( dec) and our flight is at 4:20PM ...... so if there is no fog and the ship gets to port on time ..... we will have few hours waiting as well.

I just looked at the Tampa excursions offered by RCI and there is one tour for 3 and half hours ..... so we might take that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Florida Aquarium is directly across the street from the port. They used to offer luggage storage so cruisers could enjoy a visit before heading to the airport.

Here is their link if anyone wants to contact them to inquire if they are still offering this option.

http://www.flaquarium.org/Explore-the-Aquarium.aspx

The port/aquarium is a 15 min drive to Tampa Airport.

I will offer up another suggestion for those with some time to kill. There is a company that rents, by the hour, small boats that run on an electronic motor. They are located at the Convention Center, which is a short, easy walk from the cruise terminal. You can take a nice, leisurely float around the Tampa waterfront, seeing the city from a view not captured by many of our visitors. Loop around the islands, along Bayshore, or up the river & grab lunch & a cold beer at one of the waterside places (Ricks on the River is really good & fun).

Worried about your luggage? There's a company that will store it for you, they have offices at the terminal buildings. Cost is cheap, I think under $10 (for all of it, not per bag). They are www.destinationtampa.com

The boat place is www.eboatstampa.com

It would definitely be more fun than sitting around in the airport.

• 2 months later...

We took a day room at the Marriott at the airport. It cost $99 but was worth it as we had an overnight fight to the UK. We could relax, have a meal, a shower and change (ready for the Engiah winter!) before a porter just wheeled our luggage into the airport and up to check-in, with us following! Very civilised.

We took a day room at the Marriott at the airport. It cost $99 but was worth it as we had an overnight fight to the UK. We could relax, have a meal, a shower and change (ready for the Engiah winter!) before a porter just wheeled our luggage into the airport and up to check-in, with us following! Very civilised.

That's great to hear Joy R. Were you able to book this room ahead or did you book it the day you stayed?

I once had a long layover before flight to Barbados. Went on one of the discount hotel sites and booked a room with free airport shuttle. Was able to relax, use the pool and get something to eat before going back to the airport

• 2 weeks later...
The Florida Aquarium is directly across the street from the port. They used to offer luggage storage so cruisers could enjoy a visit before heading to the airport.

Here is their link if anyone wants to contact them to inquire if they are still offering this option.

I sent an email yesterday and received the following response from Guest Services @ the Aquarium:

Yes we do offer to store your luggage while you visit the aquarium and the cost is FREE!

When you enter inside the aquarium, let the associate at guest services know you want to store some luggage and they will give you a ticket for them which you'll have to present upon leaving to get your baggage back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by CDNJehn

That's great to hear Joy R. Were you able to book this room ahead or did you book it the day you stayed?

We booked it when we got off the ship. I'm not sure if we could have booked it ahead as we asked at the other Marriott (Waterside) before the cruise whether we could have a day room there and they told us to phone on the actual day. Then someone on the ship advised us to go to the Airport one instead (good choice) and we did that.