Baltimore - how far is it from Amtrack station to pier?

Athena, Forget BWI. In Baltimore City, where the Port of Baltimore is located, you would get off at Penn Station. There are always plenty of cabs available right out front. I think I measured it once, and it's about 8 miles to the pier. The cost should be around $25. That would be taking city streets. The alternative, which is marginally quicker would be 95 north thru the Fort McHenry tunnel. You would have to pay the $2 toll in addition to the cab fare.

Athena, Forget BWI. In Baltimore City, where the Port of Baltimore is located, you would get off at Penn Station. There are always plenty of cabs available right out front. I think I measured it once, and it's about 8 miles to the pier. The cost should be around $25. That would be taking city streets. The alternative, which is marginally quicker would be 95 north thru the Fort McHenry tunnel. You would have to pay the $2 toll in addition to the cab fare.

The fare should be about $13 to $18 from Baltimore Penn Station to the port taking city streets. There are cheating cab drivers that offer a "flat rate" of $25. Don't take it. Insist on meter. Also for info flat rate is illegal in Maryland.

I never intimated that the fare would be a flat rate. I just posted a realistic number, albeit maybe a little high, so Athena would be able to project her costs.

I mentioned the flat rate because the number you posted is too high and it is the fare the crooked drivers charge. Those crooked drivers are a pet peeve of mine since they rip off out of towners who are not going to know it is a rip off. I live in Maryland near DC now but know the Baltimore area fairly well. Been on three cruises out of Baltimore, drove twice and took Amtrak once from DC area. My driver from Penn to the port last year was a good one asked if i wanted the fast route which would cost more, or the city streets which would cost less. Fare to port was $13 on city streets. When I got off the ship the cab driver offered me a flat fare of $24. I refused and told him to leave the meter on. He did manage to pad it by taking a somewhat longer route, fare was $18. For taking the longer route and offering the flat fare he recieved a minimal tip. Others have posted about paying a flat fare. I just want everyone to be aware that they are being cheated if offered a flat fare and that cab drivers offering a flat fare are breaking Maryland law.

We took Amtrak from CT to Baltimore last year for our Grandeur cruise. I would do it again in a flash. We went down the day before and stayed overnight near the Inner Harbor. Very nice time. Ir was no more than 20-25 minutes from the port to Penn Station.

Ok here's a tip for you when you take the cab. Make sure the cab driver has a photo ID.. i.e. driver's license. I work at the port and was working the Grandeur a few weeks ago .We saw a couple walking in to the parking area with all of their luggage. We asked if everything was ok;their reply was the cab driver did not have a Photo ID and was not allowed into the terminal ( new security procedure). They had to get out of the cab at the gate and walk to the ship. Luckily the had only a couple of bags and the walk was not really that long. But still very unpleasant way to start a vacation.

Archived