Ultimate Balcony Dinner question

jerseygirl3

I know you have to book this as soon as you board the ship. Could someone who has done this tell me who you speak to to book it? Do you go to someone in person or phone it in? My experience has been that Princess seems to be slow answering the phones on embarkation day (I guess they are very busy at that time). Is there a way to do it that is preferrable to calling, or is that the only way? And if so, who do you call?

I know you have to book this as soon as you board the ship. Could someone who has done this tell me who you speak to to book it? Do you go to someone in person or phone it in? My experience has been that Princess seems to be slow answering the phones on embarkation day (I guess they are very busy at that time). Is there a way to do it that is preferrable to calling, or is that the only way? And if so, who do you call?

I was told by Princess to sign up at the purser's desk and when we went the woman looked at me like a monkey staring at a watch. She took my name and cabin number but I was called by room service after sailaway to get the time and date set up.

Hm, so it sounds like they still don't have a standard method of booking this. I'd just hate to get a runaround, and then find out they are fully booked. Anybody else have any experience with booking this? I don't understand why they allow you to book the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast before boarding, but not the Dinner. I realize they limit them, but they could just sell until they are sold out.

To the poster who asked about whether it can be done with a standard balcony cabin on Caribe deck, I believe the answer is that they can do it for any cabin that has a balcony. Of course, the mini-suites are completely uncovered (except for a few in the back of the ship). So if it rained, I guess they'd cancel.

We have a future Princess cruise booked on the Crown Princess and have never sailed on Princess before. Can someone explain what this ultimate dinner/breakfast is all about?

Here's the official princess description:

Balcony Dinner/Breakfast --The ultimate in personal choice dining, of

course. In an industry first, Caribbean Princess passengers can enjoy

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner -- an all-inclusive evening featuring

cocktails, fresh flowers, champagne and a deluxe four-course meal

including delicate sweet Caribbean lobster tail -- all served by a

member of the Princess dining staff on passengers' private balcony.

And for those who prefer to begin the day with romance, why not order

up the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast, featuring Cuban specialty pastries,

tropical fruit salad in a pineapple boat, chilled marinated shrimp

with papaya relish, warm egg and tomato pie with cheese gratin and a

split of French champagne.

$100 per couple for the dinner and $25 per couple for the breakfast. I've seen posts indicating that both the beef and the lobster tail served for the balcony dinner are of a higher grade than that served in the dining room or the specialty restaurants. Hor d'ouerves are included as well as one complimentary 8x10 photograph of your and your loved one at the table. You'll each get one alcoholic cocktail (I'm assuming that mocktails can be substituted) and also a split of decent quality champagne to share.

Thus far I've seen nothing but rave reviews for this offering and the dinner is offered for only a very limited number of cabins - the only requirement is that you need a balcony. I have yet to see any feedback for the breakfast.

A few comments from me on this:

My wife & I just returned from CB Cruise to eastern Caribbean (8/6-8/13). As it was special anniversary, I thought that it would be worth it...and it was! I booked by calling the concierge desk upon arrival to our room (about 1:30pm) on Sat. TIP - ALL reservations must be done from a phone, not in person at any restaurant!

I was the first one to book this dinner on the cruise, so I picked the day & time slot (disembarking St. Thomas @ 7 o'clock-our anniversary). About 6:45, 2 waiters arrived at our cabin (Baja 710-port side) to convert your usual plastice table into a linen tablecloth with fresh flowers. A cocktail of your choice (my wife had a chocolate martini!) is included, along with a split of champagne.

Along with the view and the impeccable sevice (our best waiter of the cruise -Ignacio from the Phillipines), the food was the BEST of any meal on the ship. We had the surf 'n turf, and the lobster appeared to be the tail of a Maine lobster. The tail appears to be from a 3 to 4 pounder, easily. The filet was almost a pound, cooked perfectly, and I was told that it is from a special cut of beef, not available on any other menu. I couldn't finish the entire meal.

While every meal that we had on the ship was excellent, we will never forget the special dinner that we had that evening. If you look at it for the value, then it might be something to pass on. You can have plenty of great food in any of the dining rooms. If you look at it for the experience, then I would heartily endorse it, at least once in your life. Hope that this helps!

Someone posted earlier, that if you are in a full suite, you don't need to order this, as you can order the same thing from room service. I guess you would not get the special waiters etc..........

Any thoughts on this;)

Someone posted earlier, that if you are in a full suite, you don't need to order this, as you can order the same thing from room service. I guess you would not get the special waiters etc..........

Any thoughts on this;)

Soxfan is one of several people who've commented that the quality of the beef and lobster appears to be huigher than that served in the dining rooms or restaurants - so it's not exactly the same food you'd get from room service. And with room service I don't think you have someone to set up the table with linens and fresh flowers, no hor d'ouerve and no complimentary champagne or cocktails. Also - with room service they simply drop off the meal and you serve yourself.

I agree that if money is an issue the value proposition would be room service. We don't drink and can't even take advantage of the alcoholic drinks (but we will ask for mocktails and sparkling water as a substitute). But I still plan to do this anyway. It sound like great fun, very romantic and I know my sweetheart will be THRILLED. She has traveled very little in her life, rarely experienced any fine dining and has never been on a cruise. She'll be swooning (that is a good thing!).

Coolness- when is your cruise? I booked for February 18, 2007 in C752. It took me about 3 weeks to read all the pages here on the princess boards to know what was good. Its my first time on Princess.

Iamthesea, we were on the Island Panama Canal last year and the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast was only offered (to my knowledge) on the day we went through the canal. A flyer advertising it was left in our cabin a couple of days before. It was really great, well worth the money and enough food to feed a small country!!;)

Sue x

We reserved the UBD by phone as soon as we got in our room. We called room service to order. They took all the info and set it up. You choose your cocktails. The food was fantastic, from the salad to the desert. The service was wonderful. It was very memorable and worth every penny for something very special.

Iamthesea, we were on the Island Panama Canal last year and the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast was only offered (to my knowledge) on the day we went through the canal. A flyer advertising it was left in our cabin a couple of days before. It was really great, well worth the money and enough food to feed a small country!!;)
Is it enough to feed four? My parents will be in the adjoining balcony. We could have the breakfast while we watch from our balcony for a while and then if we are still hungry, we can grab a pastry and coffee as we head to the upper decks.

Can someone also please give their experience with the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast?

We had this last October on the Dawn - 10 day Southern Caribbean.

For the $25 for two, it's a great deal.

1/2 bottle of champagne

huge basket of assorted pastries

crab leg appetizer (2-3 big legs each) (X2)

quiche and some other stuff [fancy potatoes, greens] for main (X2)

huge assorted/sliced fruits plate (X2)

I have to say, there was far too much food!

We had it on my birthday - it was a perfect way to start the day :)

ps - this topic is discussed in more detail here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=215730

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=143172

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=36186

Archived