Explorer review - Sept 6-11

CTNYER

Make sure you go to all of the shows. The entertainment was outstanding!

What was the second production show? I think it was on Tuesday night. We had a conflicting dinner and it ran late. We missed the first show and by the time we were done with the dinner, it was a half hour into the second show.

We did get to all the other shows and I agree, they were excellent.

I did mention everything in my survey. I don't care that the ship is old. I liked it.

As far as the plumbing it would have been nice to have been warned. It happened at night and I'm a senior and my daughter is special needs. It would have been impossible to go to a public restroom especially when 90% of the stalls were locked. I was more annoyed that Maintenance took their phone off the hook.

90% of the stalls were locked? Why?

I am sailing on Explorer for the 7th time in 3 weeks. My last cruise was in March, and the crew was wonderful. That has always been one of the best reasons to sail Explorer - the crew. It's very sad if that has changed.

Could some one tell me who was playing in the lounges? (Schooner, Pub, Viking) Were they any good?

We had our first full-sized suite on this cruise. It was an Owner's Suite. I put a post on the Explorer thread that links to a video I took of the cabin. If you are interested in seeing how the 'upper-class' lives, go to this link.

Thanks for sharing the link! We have an Owner's Suite on the 10/9 sailing so it was nice to have the preview. How is the concierge & concierge lounge?

Thanks for sharing the link! We have an Owner's Suite on the 10/9 sailing so it was nice to have the preview. How is the concierge & concierge lounge?

The current Concierge is Denzil Fernandes. He was great. Since it was our first time in a 'full' suite, we really did not have any idea of what it was all about..... He explained it all in 'simple' terms for us. We did not have any problems so did not need him for that. Among other things he did for us was...

- He arranged getting us into the ice show early in the prime, end of the rink seats even though we were not scheduled for that show.

- He was available when ever we had a question.

- He organized a Suites/Pinnacle dinner the night we left Bermuda. We had doubts when we found out it was to be held in the WindJammer... :eek: But, they had the entire right side of the WJ blocked off with special goodies set up for us. Lobster and other higher class food was in the food line for us along with many bottles of wine. It was VERY good. Also, there were officers sitting at each table with us. We had two with us (marketing and beverage officers). They were fantastic to talk to. :cool:

- He organized us getting off the ship among the first (9:15AM). We met at the lounge on the 9th deck and he had 4 elevators with crew controlling them so we went directly from deck 9 to 1.

The lounge itself is relatively small. It is good for relaxing, having a light breakfast and, of course the fantastic coffee. Breakfast table service was served in the Portofino for suite and pinnacle guests. Nice to avoid the 'mob scene' in the WJ, but you could still go out to the buffet line to get something extra if you wanted.

Every night from 5:00pm to 8:30 we gathered in the 19th Hole bar on deck 14 for drinks. They served anything that you could get at any bar in the ship (free, of course). Just ask. If they could not make it there, they ordered from another bar for you. My wife drank enough Chocolate Martinis to pay a sizable portion of the room cost..... :D

The Diamond or above free 3 drink/night vouchers are in effect now on Explorer.

I don't know if all these benefits are the same on every ship or not. This was our first time in a full suite and we were very impressed. The problem is that now we are really tempted to go the 'suite' way much more often that we would have before.

Edited by edjny

What was the second production show? I think it was on Tuesday night. We had a conflicting dinner and it ran late. We missed the first show and by the time we were done with the dinner, it was a half hour into the second show.

We did get to all the other shows and I agree, they were excellent.

Believe it or not we also missed the second musical show. We ate dinner with friends we had met on the cruise and it went past 9:00 so we never got there.

gaylemh asked: 90% of the stalls were locked? Why?

I wish I knew why. It was ridiculous. I've never seen it like that on any ship. There were no people in them. I think they either needed to be cleaned or were not working.

We were also on this cruise - first time on Explorer, but 20-something RCI cruises. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise - the staff we encountered were all wonderful. Loved the two days in Bermuda. No complaints about anything.

Cathy