Question re the currency conversion

jono mono

I would think letting your CC do the conversion would be the way to go, even if Celebrity didn't charge you a 3% fee. It's unlikely that Celebrity keeps up to the minute with exchange rates, where as a CC will. Now that could work for or against you, but the 3% fee would be a killer for me. YMMV.

First time on celebrity,just had our X pass,there's a choice of currency conversion,either by celebrity (with a 3% charge) or my card issuer with no charge.Seems like a no brainer.Any advice??

Yes, as you say, probably a no-brainer. However, that assumes that the transaction will go through the conversion on the same day and that both Celebrity and your credit card company use the same exchange rate. If you wish to use your brain:

Celebrity uses different exchange rates for different items [eg they do not necessarily use the same exchange rate for the drinks package on a particular cruise and the same drinks package on another cruise or a shore excursion on the same cruise]. Celebrity does not always change the exchange rates used rapidly. Except for purchasing OBC, as far as I know, Celebrity does not publish what exchange rate it uses but for many purposes, it is usually quite good. You credit card company probably does publish the rate used somewhere in its small print.

Recently, the pound has been dropping against the US$. At times over the passed fortnight, the pound was dropping like a stone. Before mid-July, the pound had been climbing steadily against the US$ for about 8 or 9 months.

Once you have exercised your brain sufficiently, decide that it is all a bit of a gamble but you are probably better off [most of the time] letting your credit card make the exchange rather than Celebrity.