Ripple app on a princess ship?

Grover_

I do have to eat some crow as I looked on my Samsung Galaxy and see WiFi direct that does much of what is talked about here. But that would sure have a limited distance on a ship (a few hundred feet, and line of sight only). Using the lan on the ship (without connecting to the internet) addresses the distance issue (it's called a repeater in the radio world).

Does that let you communicate only with other Samsung units?

Okay so I spoke to one of the IT guys at princess, and their answer is - it will vary

How well it works and how long will depend on a number of factors:

What kind of access point is at the location you are currently, there are several models in use and may have different support settings

How many devices are connected to the ship's network, which will control how long until an IP is reassigned when the lease ends

Which firewall they are running (different ships have different tech).

Their advice is great if it works but don't depend on it, and if it starts causing problems (like streaming did on some ships) for other users, it will be blocked.

I suppose it could be done as an "Ad Hoc" network, but you still need to setup all the "IP Addresses". When I think of WiFi and what they are trying to do here, it makes the assumption that there is a WiFi router as the controller. That is the "Outside Network" I see.

A good example of that is the intranet on Royal (and maybe someday

other ships)

You can view content from shipboard servers, connected only to wifi,

without an internet connection.

Or on princess ships in general, where you can view content on princess.com

(and a few other sites) with only a wi-fi connection.

Edited by pablo222

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't work. It only cost .99 so no big deal. I did like the fact that Princess allows you to send the cute virtual postcards by email so we used that a few times to say hello to family at home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I found an interesting solution to the intranet wifi.

I brought my own preconfigured router, and set up my own intranet.

I confirmed this with the IT manager on ship before I set up my trial, forget the internet manager, he was useless of information.

After doing so, I found that the range of my router was almost 90% of the whole ship, and anywhere it didn't have access, it just took getting back in range to have the messages delivered.

Stateroom was on Deck 9 midship using a Asus RT-AC68U router

This would work, but you would have to be very careful of channel conflict, otherwise you would degrade the bandwith slightly for every other user of the ship wifi. Not something I would recommend unless you are very knowledgeable.

I found an interesting solution to the intranet wifi.

I brought my own preconfigured router, and set up my own intranet.

I confirmed this with the IT manager on ship before I set up my trial, forget the internet manager, he was useless of information.

After doing so, I found that the range of my router was almost 90% of the whole ship, and anywhere it didn't have access, it just took getting back in range to have the messages delivered.

Stateroom was on Deck 9 midship using a Asus RT-AC68U router

I didn't work. It only cost .99 so no big deal.
That's how they get you. :( It sounded like a great idea but then the reports of it not working quickly outnumbered the rare reports of it working, and then people started pointing out that developing this app without any contact with the cruiselines was probably a mistake.

Their Facebook page and Twitter have been silent since August 25.