Queen Mary 2 World Cruise 2016

Fomalhaut

Dear Queen Mary 2 Cruisers,

This will be our first cruise and we have some 15 months to be prepared for it!

When we will be leaving Southampton on January 10, 2016, I will be 75 and my wife 68. No health problems... by now!

It will be a 120 days cruise.

We should like to know opinions from similar cruisers on similar world cruises.

According to fares and deck plans, we are intending to book a BALCONY MID Cabin (BC), on deck 11, for example, stateroom nr. 11076 (Port) or 11101 (Starboard).

However, as we can see from deck plans, these Cabins are directly under an open air deck (deck 12).

Is this inconvenient, in terms of noises and other possible situations?

In terms of dressing (morning, afternoon, evening), is it too formal?

Or can we relax at ease and only dress formal some dozen times along the cruise? Because it is Queen Mary 2 and we don't know exactly what to expect...

Thanks for all your opinions.

Jose

Welcome to CruiseCritic, and for a first voyage you could not have picked a more stable and elegant ship.

Regarding deck 11 - I don't see any problem with noise. In warmer weather most sunbathers tend to congregate at the aft end. When the ship is underway, especially on the open sea, it's often cool and windy up on deck 12.

In the morning and afternoon dress is very casual. In the evening dress is either formal or informal as published in the ship's daily program. Evenings on port days are usually informal. Formal nights will typically take place on sea days. The number of formal nights will depend on how many sea days are in each voyage segment. You will have an itinerary that lists the evening dress codes so you know how to plan.

You will find a lot of answers to your questions on this link to ask.cunard.com.

Dear Queen Mary 2 Cruisers,...

According to fares and deck plans, we are intending to book a BALCONY MID Cabin (BC), on deck 11, for example, stateroom nr. 11076 (Port) or 11101 (Starboard).

However, as we can see from deck plans, these Cabins are directly under an open air deck (deck 12).

Is this inconvenient, in terms of noises and other possible situations?.......

Thanks for all your opinions.

Jose

We stayed in 11063 for a few WC segments in 2011 and this was a great location. Not far to the Commodores, library, laundry, a long way to dinner (which makes sense) and an even longer way to the dancing floor (which was fun because you come along some of the bars in between).

Congratulation to your choice, going on QM2 and especially to this wonderful intinerary!

Cheers

We stayed in 11063 for a few WC segments in 2011 and this was a great location.

We should be much interested to know your opinion on your 2011 World Cruise, segments you made, may be some of them are part of QM2 2016 WC we intend to make.

Is it really an experience for a continental european, as we expect?

By the way, are meals included in cabin fare, or must we pay each of them separate?

We should be much interested to know your opinion on your 2011 World Cruise, segments you made, may be some of them are part of QM2 2016 WC we intend to make.

Is it really an experience for a continental european, as we expect?

By the way, are meals included in cabin fare, or must we pay each of them separate?

We made the segments from Sydney on to Dubai for 40 days (although we jumped ship in New Zealand for a few days and flew to Osaka to catch her (QM2) up). The segments were wonderful, and you have very nice guests as company. As you are obviously very well in English you will find friends from all over. We are still in contact with some and also met afterwards on other ships or at home!

Being on a ship doing a world cruise is always something special, because you can follow a routine on board with ports, countries and cultures changing at least every few days. We wrote a blog about the cruise (no more online) and I'll send it to you when you contact me at robert.hoerhann@rocketmail.com

And of course all meals are included thats for sure. We had a large table next to the commodore's and as we had a lot of fun on our table he joined us after his assigned guests had left. Then the fun was even better. That's QM2. You will love it especially with this excellent intinerary, which we are quite envy not being able to join you. Any more questions?

I just made a deposit for the Queen Mary 2 2016 cruise -- round trip from NYC. I was on the QM2 two other times -- one back to back transatlantic in 2008 and again on the New England Cruise in 2012 I have not posted anything on cruise critic in years but love reading the posts. Thought it would be nice to share this experience and of course the planning stages with others

I just made a deposit for the Queen Mary 2 2016 cruise -- round trip from NYC. I was on the QM2 two other times -- one back to back transatlantic in 2008 and again on the New England Cruise in 2012 I have not posted anything on cruise critic in years but love reading the posts. Thought it would be nice to share this experience and of course the planning stages with others

Hi,

Good idea!

I am quite well identified (my first post): Jose, 75, Lisbon.

Sorry, you are... (?)

And let us share the experience!

My name is Faye and I am from Maryland (well originally from NYC) and I am 66 and my husband who is going with me is 68

Hi Faye,

Pleased to meet you and your husband and we hope we will know each other next January 2016!

For the moment, we still are collecting opinions and advices and waiting for fares and schedules from Cunard London.

In the meantime let us keep in touch and share information.

Best regards,

Jose