need advice on cancelling one in our party

XSYTD

We have booked 2 cabins for 4 passengers for our upcoming cruise and it looks like one person in the party may have to cancel. We have purchased travel insurance but not sure of the outcome. Has anyone else ever been in this situation before? We are less than 60 days from sailing and have made a final payment. Do you think we will get to keep both cabins even if only 3 of us decided to go on this cruise?

CC has so many experienced cruisers and I am hoping to get some advice on how to deal with this situation best.

You have fully paid for the cabins, so yes, you will keep both cabins.

1) since someone will be travelling as a single, if you leave the reservations the way they are, they will only get a single captain's club credit. If they kept the same cabin as a single and paid the single supplement (the second fare), they would get double captain's club benefits.

2) If you leave the cabins the way they are, you will get two captain's club benefit coupon sheets...if you change to a single, you will only get one.

3) If you change the cabin to a single, you MAY get a refund on the port charges for the second passenger. Don't confuse may with will.

4) Remember that folks occasionally travel together and fly in from different cities....one makes the ship and the other gets delayed. What that means is that if you check in and board and the other passenger doesn't show up, there should not be any problem.

5) If you have insurance, check to find out if it matters if you actually cancel the cruise or just don't show up....as long as you have a valid reason for missing the cruise. If they require you to cancel, then cancel and convert the remaining passenger into a single....however, you will actually pay three fares for the cabin...you've already paid two and when you convert that remaining passenger to a single, celebrity will ask you to pay the single supplement. Celebrity undoubtedly loves these extra $'s.....so if you ask them, you know what their answer will be.

Not sure if this helps.....

Edited by ghstudio

1) since someone will be travelling as a single, if you leave the reservations the way they are, they will only get a single captain's club credit. If they kept the same cabin as a single and paid the single supplement (the second fare), they would get double captain's club benefits.

2) If you leave the cabins the way they are, you will get two captain's club benefit coupon sheets...if you change to a single, you will only get one.

3) If you change the cabin to a single, you MAY get a refund on the port charges for the second passenger. Don't confuse may with will.

4) Remember that folks occasionally travel together and fly in from different cities....one makes the ship and the other gets delayed. What that means is that if you check in and board and the other passenger doesn't show up, there should not be any problem.

5) If you have insurance, check to find out if it matters if you actually cancel the cruise or just don't show up....as long as you have a valid reason for missing the cruise. If they require you to cancel, then cancel and convert the remaining passenger into a single....however, you will actually pay three fares for the cabin...you've already paid two and when you convert that remaining passenger to a single, celebrity will ask you to pay the single supplement. Celebrity undoubtedly loves these extra $'s.....so if you ask them, you know what their answer will be.

Is it possible that they may ask for the prevailing rate if they convert to a single? Could it also not be an excuse to have the remaining passenger pay a solo fare. The person canceling may be reimbursed, but if they convert to a single they may consider it a new booking. Please make sure before you change anything. If you leave it alone, there's no problem.

If your roommate cancels, and the room converts to a single at the higher rate, your insurance may pay the upcharge single supplement. Ask your insurance company if you have one. If either of you do not have insurance, I recommend the person who cannot go just be a no-show.

Also, I second the idea of seeing if there is someone else who wants to go.

I know I'm really tired because I've been up all night, but can someone please explain to me how the OP would end up paying 3 fares for a cabin where he's already paid for two people, if his roommate cancels?

I know I'm really tired because I've been up all night, but can someone please explain to me how the OP would end up paying 3 fares for a cabin where he's already paid for two people, if his roommate cancels?

1) Celebrity may not permit using the second persons fare to pay the single supplement.

2) the real confuser though is insurance. Let's talk about passenger a and b taking a cabin. Passenger a plans to cruise as a single but doesn't want to pay the single supplement. Passenger a gets a friend, passenger b, to book the cabin with them and buy cancel at any time insurance. They pay the full amount due at final payment...let's say it's $1000 per person. One month later, by agreement, passenger b cancels their portion of the cruise. Passenger a tells celebrity to apply the full $2000 to their now single fare...,and the insurance company repays passenger b the $1000 for the cancelled trip. Essentially, if you believe that's what happens, passenger a sails without paying any single supplement.

I am confident that case 2 will not happen....something in the fine print would stop it...or I have just figured out a way for single travelers to save the single supplement.

You are right, celebrity might not get three fares, but if passenger b is reimbursed for their fare, I think it will be from passenger a, not insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There have been people who have claimed that when passenger #2 cancelled, cruise lines imposed a single supplement to passenger #1, and that it happened even if the cancellation was after final payment, even if passenger #2 didn't receive a refund.

It does sound a bit strange, since the room fare had been paid, but you never know.

Algebralovr,

Yes, it does sound strange, but I lived through the experience and here is how it went.

About the "3" fares, that refers to what the Cruise line gets, not what YOU pay. A few years ago my cabinmate had to cancel her cruise less than a week before embarkation, for medical reasons. We both had insurance. She cancelled, I sailed.

Now, we had both paid in full. So, the insurance reimbursed her for all costs except the insurance. They also covered my single supplement that I had to first pay myself before I could board. (I knew about this before arrival at the port.) I would not get reimbursed until my friend's doctor completed the appropriate forms.

So, I ended up paying the same as if she had sailed.

She got back all her money. So, we were happy campers.

Now as for the cruise line: They had my shared cabin payment, her shared cabin payment AND the single supplement (it was a 100% supplement at the time) from the Insurance company. Thus, the Cruise Line got 150% of the normal double occupancy fare.

When I first learned about this I was fearful that the Insurance company would balk at this "deal", but they told me it was somewhat common and that they were OK with it. (I called the insurance company about 5 times in two days, just to confirm that in fact they would cover the single supplement, what a pest. However, I always got the same answer and in fact the same in actuality.

Edited by wander

Algebralovr,

Yes, it does sound strange, but I lived through the experience and here is how it went.

About the "3" fares, that refers to what the Cruise line gets, not what YOU pay. A few years ago my cabinmate had to cancel her cruise less than a week before embarkation, for medical reasons. We both had insurance. She cancelled, I sailed.

Now, we had both paid in full. So, the insurance reimbursed her for all costs except the insurance. They also covered my single supplement that I had to first pay myself before I could board. (I knew about this before arrival at the port.) I would not get reimbursed until my friend's doctor completed the appropriate forms.

So, I ended up paying the same as if she had sailed.

She got back all her money. So, we were happy campers.

Now as for the cruise line: They had my shared cabin payment, her shared cabin payment AND the single supplement (it was a 100% supplement at the time) from the Insurance company. Thus, the Cruise Line got 150% of the normal double occupancy fare.

When I first learned about this I was fearful that the Insurance company would balk at this "deal", but they told me it was somewhat common and that they were OK with it. (I called the insurance company about 5 times in two days, just to confirm that in fact they would cover the single supplement, what a pest. However, I always got the same answer and in fact the same in actuality.

Thanks for the very clear explanation.

You would think that this would be a bad deal for the insurance companies. Why would they be okay with providing Celebrity with an extra fare to which they really should not be entitled.

I wonder if they handle things the same way for married couples. It sounds like so much more paperwork and aggravation for everyone.