Just returned from QM2

lannp

I believe it is....reading a post from someone who just boarded. Sorry, but I can't find the post now.

Is there any way of finding out if the work will be finished by the time we sail in mid-December. We will be very disappointed if the Grand Lobby is still closed, it's a magnificent 'wow' sight. Our DD will be making her first cruise/crossing and it will be such a shame if she can't see it in all its glory.

Lannp

Do you know how long the repairs to the Grand Lobby will take? I board Sept 27th for l9 days.

Did you notice any difference in the ambience, the service, events around the ship during the time of the cross channel short breaks, as opposed to the East bound and West bound sections of your days on board.

The Sept 27th cruise will be similar in many ways to the one you have just done.

The scaffolding appeared after Southampton along with the workmen so perhaps they intend the job to be finished by the time they arrive back in Southampton. I heard somewhere that they covered over the glass floor because a problem developed with it.

I did not notice any change in the service on the 4-day, of course there was only 1 sea day so it limits on-board events such as lectures and cocktail parties, etc.

I did take note that there were a lot of younger people and more singing in the dining room because people were celebrating birthdays anniversaries.

One big thing I totally forgot to mention was the ship's photographers. It has changed for the good. I was told by a waiter friend that Princess is now running it and they wear dark gray suits and dark shirts with bright yellow ties, even in the daytime. They are less intrusive. I have had many a dinner spoiled by their arrival in the dining room disrupting the table. They passed by the table and if we showed no interest they kept going. One evening we were asked and declined any photos and the photographer quickly moved on unlike last year when we were pestered to relent. Yeah!

One big thing I totally forgot to mention was the ship's photographers. It has changed for the good.

I was on QV in July and for the last three nights shared a table with a staff member from Southampton who was on board (Between Lisbon and Southampton) to oversee the changeover in photographers. It sounded like a huge job, getting lots of printing equipment off the ship and the new stuff in place. She was pleased that everything was running according to schedule and seemed relaxed.

From memory, there will be more of a changeover to viewing photos digitally rather than having them all printed out, only to be thrown away if they are not wanted.

Hi Salacia,

Well the passenger was right in a small way. As you know, to almost all passengers the scenic lifts serve only Decks 7, 8, 9 and 11. Get in, press the button, away you go to the Spa, Gym, Library, Beauty Salon, Commodore Club, Churchills, Board Room, Observation Deck or cabins on Decks 8, 9, 11.

But there is no Deck 10 button. If you're in either the Queen Mary or Queen Elizabeth Suites, placing your on-board card in the slot above the usual lift buttons will make the lift stop at Deck 10 for access to your suite only.

Best wishes,

Thanks Pepper, I didn't know that...now that I think about it, the only passenger decks I've never been are Decks 9 and 10. Once I win the lottery, that will change! :D Cheers, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Thanks Pepper, I didn't know that...now that I think about it, the only passenger decks I've never been are Decks 9 and 10. Once I win the lottery, that will change! Cheers, -S.
Hi Salacia,

Don't wait for the lottery, you should do what I did on one WB crossing (2011)... I just went ahead, treated myself, and booked a cabin on Deck 9 :eek: .

"Hang the expense" I told myself, very handy for the Commodore Club after all. Why not, like you, I've been on most other decks and need to experience what it is like being on Deck 9.

So I booked 9018 ( ;) :D ) and loved it :) .

All best wishes.

Hi Salacia,

"Hang the expense" I told myself, very handy for the Commodore Club after all. Why not, like you, I've been on most other decks and need to experience what it is like being on Deck 9.

All best wishes.

When you decide that you need to experience a duplex, let me know. I'd book that trip as well, just to get a free tour. :D

A Quick Clarification if I may.

The Grand Lobby is not closed. The central part of the lower level is roped off and the staircases are closed. This is for safety as there is a large scaffold overhead. The flower Vase has been moved to a position between the scenic lifts and the upper level is open aside from the staircase. You can still stand by the bell and walk through the lobby - you just have to use the lifts to move between levels.

It really wasn't the end of the world and I would advise not to worry about it - certainly don't let it ruin the build up to, or indeed your Voyage.

A Quick Clarification if I may.

The Grand Lobby is not closed. The central part of the lower level is roped off and the staircases are closed. This is for safety as there is a large scaffold overhead. The flower Vase has been moved to a position between the scenic lifts and the upper level is open aside from the staircase. You can still stand by the bell and walk through the lobby - you just have to use the lifts to move between levels.

It really wasn't the end of the world and I would advise not to worry about it - certainly don't let it ruin the build up to, or indeed your Voyage.

I feel a little better now, thanks! Of course a picture on the grand staircase would be wonderful and hopefully possible by this time next year when I sail on her. Good to know that the entire lobby is not in shambles though so people can still enjoy the ship. The picture posted on page 1 was a bit of a scare! HAHA

Linda, I downloaded this thread to read later on the ship. I tried to send you an email, but the connection keeps timing out...will send it when I get back to NYC on Monday. Right now I'm sitting in a coffee shop in St. John's NF...strange I can be on line but cannot send/receive email.