Best balcony cabin Westerdam Alaska 2015

Mister White

This will be my first cruise on the Holland America Line and we will be on the Westerdam in August 2015. I love the aft cabins and always book those on other lines.

I have never been on an Alaskan cruise and was wondering if an aft cabin was best for viewing the mountains, etc. - or should I go for the SY Signature suites - port side. Both cabins I am considering are on deck 8.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This will be my first cruise on the Holland America Line and we will be on the Westerdam in August 2015. I love the aft cabins and always book those on other lines.

I have never been on an Alaskan cruise and was wondering if an aft cabin was best for viewing the mountains, etc. - or should I go for the SY Signature suites - port side. Both cabins I am considering are on deck 8.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The best aft cabins are on Deck 5 because they are fully covered. You will be able to sit outside in the rain and watch for whales. If you have a corner cabin (aka aft-wrap), you will be able to host about 40 guests on your huge verandah. The aft-wrap cabins also give you 270-degree viewing for great photographs and you can escape the weather by just walking around the corner.

Here is a photographic tour of the Westerdam:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/On-Board-B.pdf

The best aft cabins are on Deck 5 because they are fully covered. You will be able to sit outside in the rain and watch for whales. If you have a corner cabin (aka aft-wrap), you will be able to host about 40 guests on your huge verandah. The aft-wrap cabins also give you 270-degree viewing for great photographs and you can escape the weather by just walking around the corner.

Here is a photographic tour of the Westerdam:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/On-Board-B.pdf

Absolutely agree with Crew News. We have been lucky enough to be on his deck and it is awesome for Alaska viewing.

We have been to Alaska twice on Westerdam, we had 5191 on one cruise and 5190 on the other. They are the aft corner cabins on the Verandah Deck. In all honesty, I do not think you will find a better balcony for an Alaska cruise anywhere on any HAL ship, or perhaps any ship.

The balconies are just enormous. You could easily have 20-25 people on them and not feel crowded. You have 54 feet of your own private railing to lean on and take in the 270 degrees of view you will have. The balconies are completely covered which is nice for rainy Alaska and you get almost no wind on most of the balcony, even when at cruising speed.

If you can swing an aft corner suite, I would most highly recommend 5190 or 5191 on Westerdam.

Thanks for all the great information. It seems like the aft cabin is the way to go. We are used to being on an upper deck - but, with the larger balcony on deck 5 - I will shoot for that. Wish we had the cash for the wrap around deck suite - it sounds awesome.

Thanks again for all the great advice.