QUICK - If we can switch cabins, would you?

jkgourmet

Now in 9146 - sideways cabin with the extra wide balcony (B2). Assigned from a Bingo Balcony booking.

Available B2 cabins: 10242, 10267, 11270 and 11015.

I am PARTICULARLY looking at that 11270, which I think is an aft balcony.

We always have sailed inside guarantee, so this balcony thing is new to us. Neither of us suffers from sea sickness. We do like being near the elevators, which makes 9146 attractive.

Thoughts?

Go with the aft balcony. I have one for Oct. 4th.

But looking at this photo, it looks like there are no side views at all. Rather claustrophobic?

http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/kompass7/media/Divina%20Confidential/CabBalLibrary/10256_zpscaf68b89.jpg.html

versus this in 9146:

http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/kompass7/media/Divina%20Confidential/CabBalLibrary/8144-9146_zps37d99168.jpg.html

Edited by jkgourmet

The sideways one has a nice long balcony where the other is deep.

Since the one that is sideways is right up against the hump you will have limited view to the right. Also, the people on the balcony on 9148 may be able to see right into yours if they were at the rail and looking to the front of the ship. Most people are considerate though and will not infringe on your privacy.

The aft one is really nice and you can ask the steward to bring in a lounge chair. If you enjoy the aft then that is a nice cabin. As far as being closed in, I would not even think of that. On each balcony there is a privacy wall anyways.

The location of the sideways is also nice as you said you like being near an elevator. I would pick the mid ship one since I like the views from the side and the aft would be limited. Also, at times I feel a vibration is the aft of the ships and that would bother me. Others love it and say it lulls them to sleep. Weight the pros and cons of each and only you can then make a decision. Either one will be fine and you will enjoy the balcony.

My question is, ....will they allow you to change a cabin assigned on a guarantee?

You never know until you try. I've been able to on other cruise lines, but only within the same category that they assigned me to. And normally, I don't really care where they put us, but this balcony thing has 'raised the stakes.'

CamofWilliamsburg, you made some great points. Thank you. I'll give it some thought.

this was taken from 11305, which is right next to 11270. I would call it lots of things, but claustrophobic isn't one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaqs_gIk3Cs&feature=em-share_video_user

Now in 9146 - sideways cabin with the extra wide balcony (B2). Assigned from a Bingo Balcony booking.

We always have sailed inside guarantee, so this balcony thing is new to us. Neither of us suffers from sea sickness. We do like being near the elevators, which makes 9146 attractive.

Thoughts?

YE!!! I did the change for 11299 for 25th oct!1

Thoughts?

My priority (from listed above) would be:

Sadly, 11270 is gone already. :( No other aft balconies available on deck 12, 11 or 10. Oh well, we'll enjoy all the extra space of our extra wide balcony and sideways cabin 9146.

Uggghhhh!!! Story of my life as well JK,,,,a day late and a dollar short!!! Hopefully you'll get lucky and something else will become available,,,,:)

My priority (from listed above) would be:

I'd favour this order

but then I have no problems with ship's movements or walking long dsitances to the MDR, which would be why Cruisetrail has 11015 further down the list, and many would agree with him

Pete

I'd favour this order

but then I have no problems with ship's movements or walking long dsitances to the MDR, which would be why Cruisetrail has 11015 further down the list, and many would agree with him

Pete

While we do not have problems with ship movement, we do have problems walking long distances, so the midship cabin is preferred.

Why is 9146 so unattractive? We like the extra wide space on the balcony, the access to the elevators, and being in the middle of the ship to access everything without walking the entire length of the ship. (I would have made that walk for one of those aft balconies, but am having trouble understanding why those other balcony cabins on the sides of the ship are SO much better.)

While we do not have problems with ship movement, we do have problems walking long distances, so the midship cabin is preferred.

Why is 9146 so unattractive? We like the extra wide space on the balcony, the access to the elevators, and being in the middle of the ship to access everything without walking the entire length of the ship. (I would have made that walk for one of those aft balconies, but am having trouble understanding why those other balcony cabins on the sides of the ship are SO much better.)

The general take on 9146 is that having a "wall" blocking the view aft and looking straight down onto a lifeboat roof really limits the field of view from the balcony, in addition it will limit the amount of direct sunshine on the balcony.

the other 3 side facing balconies don't have any limits on their field of view and are also unlikely to be affected by the deck 14 overhang from a sunshine perspective

Pete

When you are sitting on your balcony you will see the tops of the lifeboats right under you. But most people adjust to that and just look outwards.

I think you will still get sun coming in. Looking aft is the only issue but it is really the same as looking outward and forward. Just remember, the aft was the forward just a few seconds before, as you look at the views and the ocean!! You still have half the ship to look forward to. I was on a corner cabin last time, 10080 and loved it. I got enough sun, asked for lounge chair... But mine was deep where yours is long, so I think you will get more sun than I did.

Enjoy it, we are in an inside this time! Gotta go budget sometimes to do more cruising year round!!:D

Edited by camofwilliamsburg

My vision: when we pay extra for a balcony - it should be a Balcony.

Normally we don't use balconies much and prefer to save and spend money elsewhere.

But if we want our personal space for sun and views - we book a balcony.

Those other cabins are better because their balconies serve the purpose - you get what you pay for, not less.

Cruising is a pleasure in any cabin.

But as soon as you pay attention to detailed cabin comparison - here is a big difference.

My vision: when we pay extra for a balcony - it should be a Balcony.

Normally we don't use balconies much and prefer to save and spend money elsewhere.

But if we want our personal space for sun and views - we book a balcony.

Those other cabins are better because their balconies serve the purpose - you get what you pay for, not less.

Cruising is a pleasure in any cabin.

But as soon as you pay attention to detailed cabin comparison - here is a big difference.

Thanks, but we didn't pay for a balcony. As I stated in my OP, We booked under the Bingo Balcony promotion.

I will, however, have a look at what is still open and consider it against the enviable midship location and extra wide balcony. I also found photos of that specific cabin layout and it seems larger. No doubt we'll enjoy it.