Phone question

skiwee

Going on the fantasy Saturday and want to figure out about texting and such. My daughter uses iMessage which I believe uses wifi. Can I just buy a wifi package on the ship and let her text that way? Would that avoid the 50 cent out 5 cent incoming texts? Or would that not work that way. We do have international service on the phones. Trying to figure out my options. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not sure but she probably will sign in when she wants to. She just wants to keep in touch with her friends here and there and send them some pics of the ship and ocean. She won't be allowed to hang on the phone all day so I won't worry too much. All her friends use iMessage so that isn't an issue either. I also figure I can use the wifi to text DH every night to tell him we are ok. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me tell you what happened to me I got into a free wifi spot so turned on my phone checked some stuff on my phone and then thru my phone inside a locker about 10 feet away which was not free wifi and seriously I kid you not within 40 minutes ATT was texting and emailing about to turn my phone off because it had racked up $200 worth of messaging - Mind you this was only sitting in my locker and I was not even touching it and it racked up these charges doing nothing SO I can imagine what it would have charged had I been doing stuff on my phone

If I were you I would tell your daughter she is on vacation and is not going to be using her phone - I am sure your daughter can survive a few days without talking to her friends and she can upload her pictures when she gets home

Actually it worked great! Bought the 1000 my

Package for $89 and was fine. We put in

Airplane mode and iMessage and had no other chRges.

Edited by skiwee

II bought my daughter the $89 package for a 14 night cruise. She understood that thee wouldn't be any more...but was on the phone all the time and used less than 1/2 of her package by the end of the cruise. Just be sure that you have tuned off ALL other functions/apps that might use your internet!

I thought texting uses cell air time? Are you sure it uses wifi? Because I can text people from my cabin and there is no wifi for 25 miles but get a strong 3G signal.

Does it switch over to wifi if available?

My daughter used imessage. It uses wifi and everyone you are testing had to br using imessage. All of my daughters friends have iphones and use imessage anyway so getting the wifi package was great.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

You can use it on all devices at one time as long as each phone is logged into same account. It was my account and I gave the info to my daughters and they were able to log on at same time and use too. It is definitely shareable.

Edited by skiwee