What are your thoughts on the NCL Star?

NCruiser2012

We sailed the Pearl on our trip to Alaska..Had an Oceanview and absolutely loved the outside aft deck from the buffet. I thought I would be dissapointed because the star didn't have that...so I booked a balcony for our trip to Bermuda. I was really surprised at how much I really liked the ship. I'm sure the balcony helped and being docked for a few days at a time. Food is food..We ate most breakfasts in the buffet..but ordered coffee for room service early..and was ALWAYS on time. We ate in the Versailles dining room and had the same waiter every night because we requested him (sitting by the rear windows made it spectacular) The shows were good..We are in our 50's so we didn't need "kid" stuff..We have our next cruise planned on the Pride of America which is also a smaller/older ship..but heck I get lost in a closet.

Had that exact suite last year. Asked the HD to install a soap dish holder on the wall of the shower. It was a noisy install, but done the next day. :)

Did you miss having a balcony in the family suite? The DH and I felt the price was right for this suite but I think I will go nuts without the outdoor space. The DH does not care for sailing aft, so the Penthouse aft is out of the equation. We loved the sound of a smaller ship since we love them.

Did you miss having a balcony in the family suite? The DH and I felt the price was right for this suite but I think I will go nuts without the outdoor space. The DH does not care for sailing aft, so the Penthouse aft is out of the equation. We loved the sound of a smaller ship since we love them.

I had one of these really great suites last year on the Mexican Riviera cruise. I loved the suite and space but would not do it again due to the lack of a balcony. I think you will really miss it if you book this suite.

We are platinum and have any perks we might need without the suite perks.

This was one trip where Cagneys just did not seem friendly, never remembered me or used my name. I was not sure if I was a second class citizen in these suites. I grew tired of the same menu each day.

The suite was done with light colors so there were numerous carpet stains, torn sheer curtains and a few design errors ( lack of soap dish in shower and water all over). I did have things fixed that I needed for my own comfort but was not happy to spend my vacation time with wet carpet and the crew in and out of my suite. The hallway was being recarpeted outside our room very early one day and the glue smell and workers everywhere was not ideal.

None of this ruined my trip. We went this summer on the Epic and had the trip of a lifetime.

Long rant.... not sure what did it but this lackluster trip on the Star probably would have been a lot better with a balcony!!

I had one of these really great suites last year on the Mexican Riviera cruise. I loved the suite and space but would not do it again due to the lack of a balcony. I think you will really miss it if you book this suite.

We are platinum and have any perks we might need without the suite perks.

This was one trip where Cagneys just did not seem friendly, never remembered me or used my name. I was not sure if I was a second class citizen in these suites. I grew tired of the same menu each day.

The suite was done with light colors so there were numerous carpet stains, torn sheer curtains and a few design errors ( lack of soap dish in shower and water all over). I did have things fixed that I needed for my own comfort but was not happy to spend my vacation time with wet carpet and the crew in and out of my suite. The hallway was being recarpeted outside our room very early one day and the glue smell and workers everywhere was not ideal.

None of this ruined my trip. We went this summer on the Epic and had the trip of a lifetime.

Long rant.... not sure what did it but this lackluster trip on the Star probably would have been a lot better with a balcony!!

Thanks for your thoughts we decided to book an aft Penthouse balcony.:D

We have just returned from two back to back cruises on the Star; while we are (mainly) highly positive with regards to the crew, the configuration, and even the non-existence, of certain public areas leaves much to be desired.

Featured foremost in our dissatisfaction is the shortage, and often the total absence, of quiet public areas where people can comfortably sit and read, preferably looking out over the bow, (the TV Bow-Cam doesn't cut it).

Unlike other vessels we've been on, the Star has no forward lounge offering a panoramic view of the ocean; the library is minuscule and access to books is restricted timewise.

We did enjoy the promenade deck - but there were many times when it was completely or partially closed - sometimes due to weather and sometimes due to minor maintenance.

Maintenance, (and we appreciate that this kind of thing is essential, shipboard), was constant & restrictive, while the noisier elements (hammering & drilling) appeared to take place almost adjacent to our forward cabin.

There were no, (from our perspective), interesting lectures regarding the historical evolution of the areas we visited - one presentation, ostensibly about the ports of call, was nothing more than a sales pitch for tours sponsored by NCL.

The food was okay - our only complaint is the limited selection of salads.

We are unlikely to book another cruise on the Star.

Since you are an experienced cruiser, how do you rate the Star? Or are you like us in that you book the itinerary, not the ship.

We book the itinerary not the ship. We spent 26 days on the Star last October and loved every minute.

Even though I missed the Spinnaker observation lounge I'd enjoyed on Jewel and Sun

I found other places to enjoy the views.

I didn't like having no windows in library so never read there on Sea days

but found other places to read that had a view.

The crew were outstanding and friendly. The dinner food in MDR imo was usually good, but a few misses.

I ate lunch every day in the buffet and had no complaints.

I enjoyed all the evening entertainment, but I'm easy to please.

Would I cruise again on the Star? A definite Yes!

Edited by NMLady

We book the itinerary not the ship. We spent 26 days on the Star last October and loved every minute.

Even though I missed the Spinnaker observation lounge I'd enjoyed on Jewel and Sun

I found other places to enjoy the views.

I didn't like having no windows in library so never read there on Sea days

but found other places to read that had a view.

The crew were outstanding and friendly. The dinner food in MDR imo was usually good, but a few misses.

I ate lunch every day in the buffet and had no complaints.

I enjoyed all the evening entertainment, but I'm easy to please.

Would I cruise again on the Star? A definite Yes!

I concur! Having sailed previously on the Star before the loss of its beautiful forward Spinnaker Lounge and movie theater, we were a bit hesitant to book the Star again, but we did (great prices). Were you on the 2013 fall transatlantic and or the northern Baltic that went to Iceland? We were B2B on those last year and had such a fabulous time! We are also platinums.

-Marguerite

I concur! Having sailed previously on the Star before the loss of its beautiful forward Spinnaker Lounge and movie theater, we were a bit hesitant to book the Star again, but we did (great prices). Were you on the 2013 fall transatlantic and or the northern Baltic that went to Iceland? We were B2B on those last year and had such a fabulous time! We are also platinums.

-Marguerite

Thanks to you and NM Lady for giving an update. My DSD is excited about her first cruise. The loud bang you heard the other day was me falling on the floor in shock when the DH said he would go ahead with an aft cabin. We lucked out with the wrap around..yep we know it is narrow but we already figured a few things to do. Very excited!

I've been on 3 cruises so far. Gem then Star then Epic and I'm going on the Breakaway this coming Sunday. If you're going on the star comparing it to the Epic you might be a bit disappointed. The Gem being my first cruise I compared everything on the star to it and it was not on the same level as far as food/entertainment in my opinion. Would I go on the star again? Absolutely. A cruise is a cruise, I'm going to have a good time regardless.

I love the Epic but actually prefer a smaller ship. It is easier to find your way around and makes it easier to grab coffee or iced tea from the buffet. I actually prefer the smaller entertainment venues.

You are so right. Anytime I cruise is great.

We were concerned about the Star as well and we did see some wear and tear but nothing that would impact our cruise. We actually enjoy a smaller ship. I'm posting some pics for you. Granted these pics are Jan 2012 and the Star will get a dry dock so it may not be exactly the same but you can get an idea. The only thing that was uncomfortable were the seats in the Stardust Theater. Some of them were broken at the bottom so when you sat down, it felt like you were being dumped out into the floor. Also some of the seat backs were separating. I would think they would fix that during the next full dry dock.

This is a shot looking down from one of the balconies between the Atrium elevators.

NCLStar012912057_zps8a31a002.jpg

Here is a pic of the Red Lion Pub. They have popcorn in there in the afternoons that you can just grab a bag and go if you like. We had fun there doing Karoke too.

NCLStar012912044_zps840dcc74.jpg

Here is a shot of the pool deck...notice the 50 people crammed in the hot tub. That was pretty much constant on the cruise. I was thinking if they all got out at one time there would probably only be a few inches of water left in there.

NCLStar012912056_zpsd0a868ed.jpg

Pool on the aft...This is either the kid area or the adult only area. We are not really pool people so I don't remember.

NCLStar012912045_zps4bd94f4b.jpg

Below is a pic of the Spinnaker Lounge that everyone complains about. The cave with the no windows. We had not sailed on her when the Spinnaker had the wall of windows.

NCLStar012912042_zpsbf4848f3.jpg

We had a regular balcony cabin on this one. Room 10696. It suited our needs. The couch was more shabby than chic but did not bother us in the least.

NCLStar012912020_zps4221efc2.jpg

There were no, (from our perspective), interesting lectures regarding the historical evolution of the areas we visited - one presentation, ostensibly about the ports of call, was nothing more than a sales pitch for tours sponsored by NCL.

The Star is not unique regarding lectures. NCL has pretty much eliminated the lectures as a cost cutting measure on all ships and replaced them with sales pitches to increase revenue. Just bean counters looking to squeeze every dime of revenue they possibly can.

JMHAM1,

Thank you, I loved your review and I had the best laugh about the rude passengers at Le Bistro and your sleeping DH;). It always bothers me when courtesy is not applied in day-to-day interactions. My DH and I had such a good time the first time in Costa Maya (before so many ships sailed there) he went kayaking and I went to the ruins after our trips we met up to go to a near by local beach with a cool bar on the beach with swings. We had such a good time we didn't notice we were the only Americans on the beach until we saw Carnival sailing out to sea. We went hurrying ourselves back to our ship but at least we had 30 minutes to spare. Whew! The next time we went did the same as you guys and booked privately to Maya Chan. The Star cruise we are going on is only 5 days but I don't care, I am on a ship! LOL :D

JMHAM1,

Thank you, I loved your review and I had the best laugh about the rude passengers at Le Bistro and your sleeping DH;). It always bothers me when courtesy is not applied in day-to-day interactions. My DH and I had such a good time the first time in Costa Maya (before so many ships sailed there) he went kayaking and I went to the ruins after our trips we met up to go to a near by local beach with a cool bar on the beach with swings. We had such a good time we didn't notice we were the only Americans on the beach until we saw Carnival sailing out to sea. We went hurrying ourselves back to our ship but at least we had 30 minutes to spare. Whew! The next time we went did the same as you guys and booked privately to Maya Chan. The Star cruise we are going on is only 5 days but I don't care, I am on a ship! LOL :D

Thanks! That review was done before I figured out how to do the full size pics on here. We LOVE Maya Chan and will be going there again when we are on the Dawn. Can't Wait!!

QUOTE=NCruiser2012;44155032]We are cruising the Baltics next May with the NCL Star. We have cruised twice on NCL and once on Celebrity. We choose this cruise for the itinerary and, frankly, the price.

I don't see a lot of posts about the Star. I have searched the forums and read the member reviews which seem to be pretty negative.

I am happy to see that the Star will be dry docked next spring and will add O'Sheehan's. The rooms look OK, nothing special.

I am concerned about the buffet. We thought the Epic had a wonderful buffet. The Celebrity buffet was beautiful, but we were not impressed with the food. We usually only eat at the buffet for breakfast.

Does anyone have any practical / positive thoughts on the Star?

thank you for posting this, I too am on the star for the Baltic cruise in May 2014, it was good to read the positive comments. Have you joined the roll call ?:D

QUOTE=NCruiser2012;44155032]We are cruising the Baltics next May with the NCL Star. We have cruised twice on NCL and once on Celebrity. We choose this cruise for the itinerary and, frankly, the price.

I don't see a lot of posts about the Star. I have searched the forums and read the member reviews which seem to be pretty negative.

I am happy to see that the Star will be dry docked next spring and will add O'Sheehan's. The rooms look OK, nothing special.

I am concerned about the buffet. We thought the Epic had a wonderful buffet. The Celebrity buffet was beautiful, but we were not impressed with the food. We usually only eat at the buffet for breakfast.

Does anyone have any practical / positive thoughts on the Star?

thank you for posting this, I too am on the star for the Baltic cruise in May 2014, it was good to read the positive comments. Have you joined the roll call ?:D

Jim,

I will write a short review and give details about "our" cabin. I will have my new binoculars in hand for the ocean views! My TA was surprised this cabin was available and we are happy especially because the DH prefers port to starboard and I wanted to at last have an aft location cabin.

Linda

Jim,

I will write a short review and give details about "our" cabin. I will have my new binoculars in hand for the ocean views! My TA was surprised this cabin was available and we are happy especially because the DH prefers port to starboard and I wanted to at last have an aft location cabin.

Linda

Thanks, I'll be waiting for it! Our last cabin was an aft PH Suite on the Sun (9076) and it was incredible. Can't imagine anyone not liking those aft views!

Jim

We were in 8170 on the Dawn (sister ship) last year, and from what I gather looking at the deck plans, 9232/9732 would be the corresponding suites on Deck 9. We loved it, I will try to post a photo of the balcony. Edited: here you go. It was a fairly long but narrow balcony, Deck 9 may be a little "deeper" due to the ship's design, not 100% sure.

We loved having 2 full size loungers out there... This pic was probably taken with me sitting in the other one :)

IMG_102819520561958.jpg.2e6f2a414f11722dd86daf7e776acf32.jpg

Edited by welove2cruise2014

We were concerned about the Star as well and we did see some wear and tear but nothing that would impact our cruise. We actually enjoy a smaller ship. I'm posting some pics for you. Granted these pics are Jan 2012 and the Star will get a dry dock so it may not be exactly the same but you can get an idea. The only thing that was uncomfortable were the seats in the Stardust Theater. Some of them were broken at the bottom so when you sat down, it felt like you were being dumped out into the floor. Also some of the seat backs were separating. I would think they would fix that during the next full dry dock.

We had a regular balcony cabin on this one. Room 10696. It suited our needs. The couch was more shabby than chic but did not bother us in the least.

NCLStar012912020_zps4221efc2.jpg

The couch is one of the things that bugs me about the balcony rooms. It looks like it is really worn out. I guess we will just throw a beach towel on it and not worry about it.

Has anyone slept on the couch? It looks very small and uncomfortable. We have considered having a third person in our room, but the room size and the couch have made us think twice, especially for a 9 night cruise.

We were in 8170 on the Dawn (sister ship) last year, and from what I gather looking at the deck plans, 9232/9732 would be the corresponding suites on Deck 9. We loved it, I will try to post a photo of the balcony. Edited: here you go. It was a fairly long but narrow balcony, Deck 9 may be a little "deeper" due to the ship's design, not 100% sure.

We loved having 2 full size loungers out there... This pic was probably taken with me sitting in the other one :)

Thanks for the photo! I am counting the days to having a glass of wine on the balcony. We are going to go with the two loungers if possible. My DH said no worries he will figure out something for the three of us even if he needs to sit in a chair inside of the cabin in the balcony entrance. :D