buying a cruise and flight

johno95

where do i go to buy a RCL cruise and flight(s) at the same time. and there might be more that one way to do this.

i am looking to get some RCL guarantee that i will make it onto the ship if something happens to the flight. and i would like to get some type of discount on the whole package.

i don't mind talking to someone at RCL if that is one answer.

thanks.

RCI rarely offers the kind of package deal I think you are referring to. What they do offer is cruise air, which may or may not be less than you can book yourself.

You don't indicate where you wish to cruise, or when, so I can only offer a few recommendations.

The most important is to very carefully study the wording in the cruise air promotions. The terms have changed lately and they will TRY to get you to the ship OR try to get you to the next port. There is a dedicated board here on Cruise Critic about cruise air under the Discussion boards. The very knowledgeable posters can help you BUT it is very important that you do this BEFORE you book any flights.

If you are sailing on a closed loop Caribbean itinerary and do not have a passport you may not be able to meet the ship. There are certain countries, Jamaica, for one, that you cannot board at all.

If you are looking at a transatlantic sailing, which is a one way, then cruise air tickets may be substantially less than the US major airlines but may be greater than some foreign carriers.

Before you book your air, do your homework. If you go to a site like Kayak you can compare airlines, schedules and costs.

RCI does charge for booking reservations if you are not a loyalty member. I can't recall the level you must be at to waive the $35 charge.

You have much more control over your reservation without the third level - cruise air - being added. For those currently faced with the Air France pilots walkout there have been more problems for cruise air passengers. Those who booked directly or with a code share partner have fared a little better.

Do take the time to go to the CRUISE AIR FORUM. There is a Sticky at the top of the page that explains everything you need to know.

Good luck - just don't believe all the hollow promises from any cruise line's air program.