Could this be worn on formal night?

caviargal - I meant no disrespect to posters on these boards. :o My comment - For anyone wondering what formal attire is, don't take the opinions of folks on this board - do a Google search and have a look for yourself." - was made because I know how confused a person can be by all the varied opinions posters have regarding what constitutes "formal wear."

I thought a Google search would result in "non-biased" examples of formal wear that the OP could review and then decide for herself if she would feel confortable wearing that lovely black suit. She might even have come across a pix of a similar outfit, perhaps one that showed it all jazzed up with sparkly evening-type accessories.

I believe all of us seek opinions of CC members in good faith, but in the end we each do what we feel is right for us as individuals. I probably should have worded my statement to the OP differently, but I meant it as a way to help with her decision and in no way meant to lessen the value of any poster's opinion....

Leo Jay, you might be right, but that's not nice ;)

I have to honestly say, that when I'm on a cruise and notice someone dressed, well, kind of cheesy (in my eyes) I still enjoy seeing them. I just imagine that it is their very first cruise and they have never dressed up before. I find delight in other peoples enthusiasm and I even love it when someone dresses over-the-top formal, in a full skirted taffeta ballgown with stole and tiara (however did they pack that :confused: ). We're all different and it would be boring if we all wore the same type of clothes.

I've looked at this outfit a number of times, it still does nothing for me, not even as office wear. I see frumpy, is it those shoes and just what is that around her neck? If an outfit doesn't look good on a beautiful, svelte model, I can only imagine how horrid I would look in it!

Yes i very much think you should wear that on a formal night and have a blast in it. Everyone has different tastes, what others may call formal, you may not. I believe i dress very appropriately on formal nights, and enjoy watching people enter the dining room and make comments about what they are wearing in my head. So, again, eveyone has different tastes, and they are probably doing the same thing to me, so all i got to say is, Have Fun wearing exactly what you see fit. Have a great cruise!

I think it is appropriate. If I saw you on formal night I would think to myself, what a smart gal! Not only did you dress up a great suit, but you can wear it for other occasions, mix and match, AND stay warm on the freezing ship!

Some words of caution based on some of my experiences. I wore a similar outfit, more tuxedo-style with a shorter skirt...My look was different than the gowns yet I was very comfortable and warm. What was funny is that a few passengers asked if I was an employee of the cruiseline! Once I began to "look around" I noticed some of the female senior staff dressed in the suits on formal night.

I sail with a particular cruiseline frequently and knew enough about the ship that I began to answer, "yes, can I help you?"

Keep in mind I tend to go for the different. Even so, my opinion is that the outfit is appropriate, smart, sensible, and you can have a lot of fun in it!

Let us know what you decide!

Coka

It's the lawyer in me, I can't help it. The OP didn't ask if the outfit was formal, she asked if she could wear it on formal night. I say yes. No, it isn't a formal outfit, and I bet she knows that, but that doesn't mean it would be inappropriate for her to wear it.

Critter chick,

You're absolutely right. I choose my words carefully and would normally pick up on something like this as you did.

So, I agree with you. The OP certainly CAN wear it on formal night... hopefully with the full knowledge that she won't be formal in it.

Some words of caution based on some of my experiences. I wore a similar outfit, more tuxedo-style with a shorter skirt...My look was different than the gowns yet I was very comfortable and warm. What was funny is that a few passengers asked if I was an employee of the cruiseline! Once I began to "look around" I noticed some of the female senior staff dressed in the suits on formal night.

I sail with a particular cruiseline frequently and knew enough about the ship that I began to answer, "yes, can I help you?"

Coka

C'mon Coka, tell the truth. You wear it so that the bartenders will think you're a co-worker and will give you free drinks! :)

We're on to you! LOL!!!

Leo Jay, you might be right, but that's not nice ;)

I have to honestly say, that when I'm on a cruise and notice someone dressed, well, kind of cheesy (in my eyes) I still enjoy seeing them. I just imagine that it is their very first cruise and they have never dressed up before. I find delight in other peoples enthusiasm and I even love it when someone dresses over-the-top formal, in a full skirted taffeta ballgown with stole and tiara (however did they pack that :confused: ).

Personally, I'm from the camp that appreciates elegant clothing, but I just can't imagine why anyone would care or pass judgement on how someone ELSE chooses to dress. I just find it amusing to think of people dressed in garish 'formalwear' going 'tsk-tsk' at someone else's tasteful 'business suit'.

LOL, Jane, I wish!!! Twenty-something cruises and I have yet to be given a free drink from a ship's bartender! Maybe they too must think I am senior officer!

Coka-not-dancing-tonight

I think it depends entirely on you! If you feel elegant and formal in it, then by all means, enjoy it. BTW, I got a beautiful dress on ebay, for 20$. It's long enough for me, I am 5'11", and it has sequin's, on the top and a lovely floaty bottom. Best of all, it looks great on! I have very large bosoms, and no butt, but this dress hides the bosoms under silver sequins, and floats the whole way down with layered sheer fabric. Very pretty. Dress is black, with silver top and sort of maroony bottom. I LOVE it.

Goes to show, you don't have to spend a lot, just be particular. I know, I can always resell it on ebay when I am done with it.

13 DAYS AND A WAKE UP!!! Yes, it's my first cruise!

:rolleyes: Could an outfit like this be worn on formal night with a nice necklace and strappy sandals?

2313_59377_dt.jpg

Sorry, but I don't think so. This is something I would wear to Court but not on a formal night at sea. Something more feminine and a little less something one would wear for business would be appropriate.

Yes. You could wear that on formal night. I think every woman has a different idea about what she'll wear on formal night. I couldn't pull that outfit off, myself (vertically challenged...) but if you can, and you like that outfit, do it! I've seen anything from sundresses to pantsuits all the way to fully beaded gowns on formal nights. Everyone will have their own opinion, and will dress themselves accordingly. It's much dressier than a sundress and I can't imagine anyone in the dining room complaining that wearing it is (as can be seen in MANY threads on the topic of the dining room and formal night) "disrespectful" of others who went to the trouble of dressing to the nines. If it were made of denim material, on the other hand I bet there would be many swift and cutting complaints to that end...:D Have a great time!!

Yes, you could wear it on formal night... I mean, I've seen JEANS on formal night (no turning this into one of those horrid jeans debates though). It's not my taste, and I wouldn't exactly call it formalwear, but if you feel comfortable in it, by all means...

Just a suggestion, I think maybe if you're looking to wear a suit, definitely get one whose jacket is a bit shorter (more flattering). Also, a lower v-neckline is usually more flattering (and lets some nice shirts peek out for underneath). And maybe it's just me and the generation gap, but am I the only one who thinks the skirt is just a bit too short... it's like it can't decide between full and tea length. Sorry if that insults you (as you picked out the outfit), but I really think something similar, but with a different cut would be much more flattering. Good luck and have a great cruise :)

Archived