Could this be worn on formal night?

I think the look is too stark for formal night, even if you dress it up with jewelry. If you wear a skirt like this, you may want to opt for a dressier blouse instead (silk, sequines...) and lose the jacket.

For shoes I would go with a mule, or a sling back rather than the strappy sandals.

~e

I say it depends on what the fabric is. I don't see it as business attire because the skirt is full length. If it is made of a satiny, silky, brocade material or a shiney material with a gloss or sheen, it would be quite dressy, especially with bling bling. If it is wool or worsted, maybe it would look too businesslike, but that skirt is full length. That tells me it is probably a fabric such as faille.

I'd open up the jacket, wear a lace camisole or silk camisole undeneath or a sparkly spaghetti strap blouse underneath. You could add a belt that is sparkly and carry an evening bag. Your shoes could be very dressy.

Let's put it this way. If you were at my table on formal night, I would not think twice about the outfit. Others here are much more traditionalist and they might feel you are not dressed formally enough, but I certainly wouldn't object.

I don't know which cruise line you're going on but I like the outfit. I think that with the right jewelry & hair style you would look great. In my opionion it's nicer than the formal outfits you can rent from the cruise lines. Below is the link of a company that several cruise lines use for their formal rentals.

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/prod_ccl_l.html

It looks like something you might see at a funeral, you don't see too many long skirts such as this worn in business offices. I think the gawd awful shoes she has on completely ruin the whole look, though. I would wear the skirt with a nice blouse or top, wear my hair up and a high heeled sandal. Wait, can't you just get a long black skirt?I certainly hope the OP hasn't purchased this suit yet, or she may get her feelings hurt with the responses, as honest as they are. It does depend on the fabric, the shoe worn, the jewelry, the hair. If you already have it, dress it up and feel beautiful in it.

Just MHO but formal wear is something too dressy to wear anywhere else BUT to a formal occasion - not to church, to work or to the movies. This outfit is fabulous, frostypenguin, but it could be worn many places and not raise an eyebrow (unless it's the fellow admiring you as you walk by!)

For anyone wondering what formal attire is, don't take the opinions of folks on this board - do a Google search and have a look for yourself. Then go to a consignment store, watch for sales, borrow a gown from a friend, shop on eBay or if you're talented, grab the sewing machine and create a simple but elegant long gown in a festive material and pattern. I really don't think you'll regret it!

It looks like something you might see at a funeral, you don't see too many long skirts such as this worn in business offices.

Hmmm...maybe that is true on the West Coast, but here that is a very popular look for business. I have two skirts that length and love them for the office. Theye are both a lighter color, one is khaki geen and the other is sand. I wear the sand one with a sleevless fitted white blouse, and a wide brown leather belt with brown leather slides - it is an outfit I get tons of complements on whenever I wear it.:)

It's not my cup of tea, but I think you could jazz it up nicely to wear on formal night. A sparkly tank top underneath the jacket (not glitter or you'll never get it off the suit), a sparkly scarf or shawl draped over one shoulder, sparkly shoes in as high a heel as you can manage (that would be 1-1/2 inches for me), some bling at the neck & ears.

On Royal Caribbean & Princess, women wear everything from suits to ballgowns on formal night. You'd fit right in. Other lines may vary.

..just kidding. I think it is fine. I nice scarf around the neck and a bright blouse would make it more dressy. I don't think everyone needs to go spend a couple of hundred dollars to get a "formal" outfit (or 2) that will be worn once. Use what you have and make it look as dressy as you can. It is lovely and your attitude in it will be lovely too.

I think it is great that you want to dress appropriately for the formal nights! Good for you! So many out there don't give a "you know what".

Here's is a secret: Before each cruise I start hunting for really fabulous evening gowns in thrift stores! YES I said thrift stores. I'll buy 3/3/4 of them and have then dry cleaned, total cost about $15.00 each. I have found Yves Saint Laurant, Gucci, Prada, you name it! Then I donate them or give them away so they can be used again, (usually to the Fairy Godmother's Closet for girls on Prom night that can't afford them) and that way I don't have a 500.00 dollar dress hanging in the back of my closet for nothing!

To answer your original question, great suit, add some sparkle and slink right past the little trolls on board who made no effort to dress for the occasion!:p

The outfit is not formal and never will be.

If you need to find a formal go to an upscale department store; look around. You will find something and it won't cost you a lot of money. I have quite a few expensive dresses that I have purchased on clearance or on sale. You just have to know what you like, what looks good on you and then just keep looking for it. I usually do well at the end of the year after the holidays in the formal section in a better department store.

7_6_4.gif

Archived