Review of the September 11 Explorer of the Seas Canada/New England Cruise

This is my first attempt at a review. But here goes

September 11, 2014 Explorer of the Seas 9-Night New England/Canada Cruise.

Background - Travelling as a couple. I (Rick) am 60, Alice is 58. We are originally from the Chicago area and now reside in South Florida. This was our first non-Caribbean cruise. This was also our first time to New York and anywhere in the northeast.

We flew into Newark the day before and stayed at the Hampton Inn Staten Island. The hotel was chosen due to the fact that they have an airport shuttle and a shuttle to Port Liberty. They also have a shuttle over to the Staten Island ferry which we did not use. This was great for us as there was no need for taxis. We did use the group taxi from the port back to Newark for $16.00/person. We had the Continental Breakfast at the hotel which was pretty standard hotel breakfast stuff. This hotel I will choose if/when we cruise from Bayonne again.

Embarkation - We had a reservation on the 9:00 shuttle to the pier as the 11:00 was already full. No problem though. We got to the port before RCI was ready for any check-in. We were given a bus boarding number, seated in the waiting area, and given the medical and Canadian customs forms to fill out. In about 10 minutes we were sent to check-in. No lines, no waiting. We started the check-in process and the clerk had a computer problem. (as if the RCI technical issues on their website are not enough :-) ). The IT person was summoned and after about 5 minutes the clerk was shifted to a different computer. Check-in then went fine and we were in the Crown and Anchor waiting area. No complaints from me as there were still very few people. When the ship was finally cleared, they boarded those needing assistance first, and then by the boarding numbers. We were one of the first people on the ship and as we had the hotel breakfast, we went to the pool deck for some pictures. We have sailed NOS previously, so the layout was familiar to us. We spent a couple of minutes on the helipad for a few more pictures and then off to the SkyBar. Rooms were available right on time and we had 2 of our 3 bags there already. We then went to the windjammer for lunch. Since the rooms were available, the windjammer, although still crowded, was easy to maneuver. After a leisurely lunch, back to the room where our last bag was there and already in the room. Back to the Skybar.

The Onboard Experience - I really need to start this off with a great big shout out to our dining room tablemates. We were exceptionally fortunate to get the tablemates we did. We had an 8-top, late seating and every night we were the last ones out of the dining room due to great conversation and a whole lot of laughter. We hit it off well with everyone and also got together with them throughout the cruise. We were also fortunate enough to have a great Meet and Mingle group. We spent time with them also. The crew was terrific also. More on that later. The people really made this cruise special for us. Although bright and sunny, the temperatures were cool. Those around the pool and the Solarium were covered with several towels to keep warm. No problem finding a chair. The hot tubs were hot as they should be. Sea days provided plenty of activities. We enjoy the trivia games and they were usually attended by standing room only crowds. We also attended the Art Auctions. The stage shows were very good. IMO, Stanley, the lead male singer for this cruise is the best RCI singer I have seen. There was a comedian, juggler, unicyclist who was, again IMO, a terrible waste of time. The Temptations Tribute was given rave reviews by all.

Dining - We had dinner in the main dining room every night. The waiter and assistant were excellent. We did the 7:30 trivia every night and he, as well as our tablemates, knew we would be there about 5 minutes late. As usual, there was a different menu every night. There were plentiful selections for everyone. The cold soups (I had cold soups 8 nights :-) ) were very good. The shrimp cocktail was very good also. On escargot night several people at the table ordered 2 or 3 and our waiter brought at least for everyone. A couple of out tablemates asked for escargot on nights that it was not offered and were brought them without question. The main course offerings were also plentiful. On lobster night, several of us got the lobster dinner and added the strip steak. Again, no questions. The food was IMO very good. The dessert menu was the RCI usual. Very good. One last comment about the service and the food. One of our tablemates was asking if they had a menu for Asian specialties. Our waiter himself offered and made them an Indian Chicken Curry and Noodles with a peanut sauce on three nights. All slightly different and all very good as there was plenty to share. That is the type of service we received all over the ship.

The Crew - The crew was the best. The dining room staff went way above and beyond for as stated above. Alice had a toothache. Long story short. Guest Services tried to contact several dentists in Boston to no avail. Closed Wednesdays. She woke the following morning with her face very swollen. Back at Guest Services, we asked for information about a local urgent care center. GS saw my wife's face and suggested the infirmary as he said "Oh My. I will take you there". Infirmary was great. No outlandish charges. Based on hind sight, we saved money by staying on the ship as with a taxi to anywhere would have just added to the cost. I had a minor leg cramp. Our cabin steward made sure we had a bag of ice in the bathroom in case we needed it. I cannot say one thing bad about the crew. We are one of the cruisers that pre-pay our tips and have not added anything at the end of the cruise. Service is great. This cruise was different on many fronts. And we rewarded accordingly. Explorer has, IMO, the best crew we have ever had.

Overall - Even with some personal issues this cruise, it was a fabulous cruise. There were some concerns about the condition of the ship and her upcoming refurbishment. I don't know what those people saw. The ship was in great shape. We got lucky and won 2 raffles at the Art Auctions and won a few pens and highlighters at trivia. We blessed with very calm seas. Most of the time you could not tell if the ship was moving. I look forward to sailing on this ship again. And after her refurbishment, it will be all the better.

I will do my best to answer questions if you have any. I will try to add a few pictures tomorrow.

Wow, I was on that cruise, loved every minute of it. That's an awesome photo, went to Acadia, but not C. Mountain. Halifax was absolutely beautiful, and the friendliest people anywhere. Also it was one of the cleanest city's I've ever seen. Simply stunning.

It was a bit to calm for me. lol

Guest maddycat

Thanks for the review. We're so glad that you found the Explorer to be in great shape. Some cc members have recently reported otherwise and we were concerned. She is one of our favorite ships. Like you, we have always found the crew to be exceptional.

Thank you for your review! We were a little concerned with the reports of the ship, since we will be sailing on her before the refurbishment, and I feel much better after reading your view.

Also, thank you for sharing your photos! I would love to get up that way some day, to see the memorials from 9/11.

I enjoyed your review and agree with all of your observations. Our waiter was not the best, but one small glitch couldn't ruin this fabulous cruise.

It was wonderful meeting you and Alice. Our M&M group was great and I enjoyed meeting so many fun people.

Thanks for the review and pics.

By the way, may I borrow this photo for my FB page? It is truly stunning, I won't until you let me know either way. Thanks. I love the ships in the background. That's excellent.

I have no problem at all with that. It is one of my favorites. Here is another one.

100_3506.jpg

Edited by cruisefan0110