Quick sightseeing in NYC after disembarkation?

bbyost

Sailing on the NCL Gem and trying to decide what to do after disembarkation at NYC/Manhattan Pier. We have a flight out of Newark at 3:27pm that day. Is there enough time after leaving the ship to grab a cab and drop off our luggage at Schwartz(W.37th between 8th and 9th Ave.), do some quick sightseeing and then return to Schwartz around 1pm to meet a "dial 7" car to Newark? Or should we just have "dial 7" meet us at the pier and spend the day in the airport?

Edited by bbyost

Can u take Ur bags to Lga and check them in and take a cab back to the nearest subway station and go play on the city? Rockefeller Center or empire state building or 9-11 or central park? I wouldn't let a day in new York be spent at LGA. If you are posting here I would guess you are somewhat adventurous

Sailing on the NCL Gem and trying to decide what to do after disembarkation at NYC/Manhattan Pier. We have a flight out of Newark at 3:27pm that day. Is there enough time after leaving the ship to grab a cab and drop off our luggage at Schwartz(W.37th between 8th and 9th Ave.), do some quick sightseeing and then return to Schwartz around 1pm to meet a "dial 7" car to Newark? Or should we just have "dial 7" meet us at the pier and spend the day in the airport?

Yes, you can drop your luggage off at one of the Schwartz Travel locations and do a little sightseeing. (Pick the location based on where you plan to sightsee.) My inclination would be to leave 15 minutes to a half hour earlier for the airport...you never know what type of traffic you'll encounter in NY City and environs. (Of course my OCD really comes into play when I'm going to the airport ;) )

Edited by njhorseman

Can u take Ur bags to Lga and check them in and take a cab back to the nearest subway station and go play on the city? Rockefeller Center or empire state building or 9-11 or central park? I wouldn't let a day in new York be spent at LGA. If you are posting here I would guess you are somewhat adventurous

You know, since the OP is flying out of Newark, going to LGA isn't likely to work out very well.

Yes, you can drop your luggage off at one of the Schwartz Travel locations and do a little sightseeing. (Pick the location based on where you plan to sightsee.) My inclination would be to leave 15 minutes to a half hour earlier for the airport...you never know what type of traffic you'll encounter in NY City and environs. (Of course my OCD really comes into play when I'm going to the airport ;) )

Thank you! We've been to NYC many times and will actually be there three days before our cruise. So we're fine just wandering around the area and maybe grabbing a bite to eat. I just don't want to spend the day in the airport! I was hoping someone else had done this time schedule before and would be able to verify that it's worthwhile. And I had already thought about moving up the pickup time ;)

Wish we were flying out of Laguardia but we used points and Newark was the only homebound flight available. And yes, we're very adventurous so we are going to go for the storage and a nice stroll around the area, a quick bite to eat and then off to the airport. Thanks for responding! Hope we meet up on the cruise!

Thank you! We've been to NYC many times and will actually be there three days before our cruise. So we're fine just wandering around the area and maybe grabbing a bite to eat. I just don't want to spend the day in the airport! I was hoping someone else had done this time schedule before and would be able to verify that it's worthwhile. And I had already thought about moving up the pickup time ;)

I don't claim to have done it personally, but as a native New Yorker and lifelong resident of the area I know it can be done, and we make similar recommendations to other cruisers all the time. No one has ever come back and complained we gave them bad advice. ;)

Wish we were flying out of Laguardia but we used points and Newark was the only homebound flight available. And yes, we're very adventurous so we are going to go for the storage and a nice stroll around the area, a quick bite to eat and then off to the airport. Thanks for responding! Hope we meet up on the cruise!
Sorry Newark, lga, etc... they all blend together.. not really... just misread.. we don't have a meet and greet anyone has organized- I would but involved in some major events this week and past- including hosting a dinner party Thursday night at my home and we leave for the airport- yes LGA- at 5 am Friday.. staying down by times square (thanks marriot points) .. so looking forward to the sea day to rest and catch up- but we need a m and g even if it so late planning one

I don't claim to have done it personally, but as a native New Yorker and lifelong resident of the area I know it can be done, and we make similar recommendations to other cruisers all the time. No one has ever come back and complained we gave them bad advice. ;)

Thank you! That's what I wanted to hear! Do you think we would have time to walk the High Line? This is what I had in mind:

Take a cab from the pier to Schwartz Travel/Luggage Storage

355 West 36th Street, 2nd Floor, (between 8th and 9th Ave.), drop off our luggage then take the A,C subway line to 14th St. and 8th Ave.

Take West 14th west to 9th Ave. south to Gansevoort turn left to 10thAve. Stairway to high line.

Walk the highline back to the end at W. 30th between 11th and 10th Ave. Then walk back to Schwartz Travel. I'm figuring we have at least 3.5-2.5 hours depending what time we disembark.

Thank you! That's what I wanted to hear! Do you think we would have time to walk the High Line? This is what I had in mind:

Take a cab from the pier to Schwartz Travel/Luggage Storage

355 West 36th Street, 2nd Floor, (between 8th and 9th Ave.), drop off our luggage then take the A,C subway line to 14th St. and 8th Ave.

Take West 14th west to 9th Ave. south to Gansevoort turn left to 10thAve. Stairway to high line.

Walk the highline back to the end at W. 30th between 11th and 10th Ave. Then walk back to Schwartz Travel. I'm figuring we have at least 3.5-2.5 hours depending what time we disembark.

Yes, you can do this, although IMO to keep up with the schedule you'll end up rushing through the High Line faster than you'll really want to...one the great joys of the High Line is being able to take in all the details of the park and the surrounding neighborhoods.

A couple of notes...you could just enter the High Line at 14th St...just walk west from the subway station on 14th until you hit the entrance. The last and northernmost section of the High Line just opened this week. It extends west on 30th St. around the rail yards to 34th St. between 11th Ave. and the West Side Highway. You might want to include that since you have to go north of 30th St. up to Schwartz Travel anyway.

http://www.thehighline.org/visit

Schwartz Travel is no longer on W 36th St. It has moved a block south to a ground floor facility at 355 W. 37th St. (between 8th and 9th Aves.) .

http://schwartztravel.com/

Edited by njhorseman

Yes, you can do this, although IMO to keep up with the schedule you'll end up rushing through the High Line faster than you'll really want to...one the great joys of the High Line is being able to take in all the details of the park and the surrounding neighborhoods.

A couple of notes...you could just enter the High Line at 14th St...just walk west from the subway station on 14th until you hit the entrance. The last and northernmost section of the High Line just opened this week. It extends west on 30th St. around the rail yards to 34th St. between 11th Ave. and the West Side Highway. You might want to include that since you have to go north of 30th St. up to Schwartz Travel anyway.

http://www.thehighline.org/visit

Schwartz Travel is no longer on W 36th St. It has moved a block south to a ground floor facility at 355 W. 37th St. (between 8th and 9th Aves.) .

http://schwartztravel.com/

Thank you so much for the information, especially the address change for Schwartz Travel. I think I'm going to follow your tip and enter at 14th St. Hopefully we can disembark fairly early and have enough time to stroll!