Overpacking...

Ok, I know I over pack. I'll admit it. Does anyone else share this affliction? How can I get over the feeling of anxiousness of not having a clean top or a fresh pair of shorts? Help!

I share the affliction. Don't know what to tell you to get over it.

Last weekend I packed four different outfits for one overnight.

My DW shares your affliction.

I Pack ALL of my stuff for a week in 1/3 of my large suitcase plus a backpack for carry on. DW fills a suitcase half-again as big as mine, the remaining 2/3 of mine and a "carry-on" that I'm embarrassed she carries on!

And she's still worried she's forgotten something. DS and DD#2 pack like me. DD#1 is her mother's daughter X2!

I ALWAYS overpack!!! I get so nervous that I won't have enough of what I need. I am really bad with shoes. I always bring so many and most of them usually sit at the bottom of the closet in the hotel room.:o Last time we went away, I shopped the week before and bought a nice pair of nine west dress shoes in black and in white so that they could go with everything. They don't take up too much room in the suitcase either and it work out great on our last trip! :D

But with the cruise you need an outfit during the day an outfit at night and your bathing suit. Plus we have 2 formal nights so I am freaking out about that. Thanks lindabelll, I feel a panic atack coming on.... :eek:

Get over it? Why would you want to get over it? LOL!

I'm an overpacker, too. I like to have a choice and then need accessories for my choices for evening wear. During the day, I like at least two shirts a day. Especially if I know I'll be out walking around or going to the beach. I'd rather have two of something and need one than have one and need two.

I used to be an overpacker, plus I used to go and buy new clothes for every cruise. But, I got over it and now pack much lighter. We use the laundry/dry cleaning service onboard and wear the same outfit first and last nights, plus do the same for embarkation/disembarkation. I wear black pants with different tops on casual nights, DH wears Docker-style pants and different shirts. It would be wonderful to do away with the formal wear, that is what takes up so much room in our suitcase. BTW, we do not wear jeans, too heavy to pack!

No more than 4 pair of shoes each, one pair being worn. A pair of dressy black, a more casual night time shoe, a pair of flip flops for the pool and the comfortable shoes I travel in. Limited toiletries, no extra "stuff" (ie. highlighters, alarm clocks, night lights, extension cords, post it notes, themal mugs etc...) we have found we really don't miss any of it and have just as good a time.

Our first cruise, I took the advise of a message board, packed clothes for every day/night, took every gadget I saw on packing lists. We came home with more clean clothes than dirty, shoes unworn, gadgets never used. I cut back on every cruise now and it is pure pleasure to be unemcumbered. I really could not tell you what other people were wearing on the ship. Except one lady who wore the same huge red muu-muu every night on a Hawaiian cruise.

Not only is it a pleasure to travel light, it's a whole lot cheaper to have your clothes cleaned than it is to buy new clothes ;) .

Ok, I know I over pack. I'll admit it. Does anyone else share this affliction? How can I get over the feeling of anxiousness of not having a clean top or a fresh pair of shorts? Help!

I've been told I resemble Hannibal crossing the Alps into Europe when I go away for the weekend. :D I wouldn't sweat it. When everyone else is washing out their socks on the last day of the cruise because they miscounted all us overpackers will be laughing up our sleeves. ;)

I too am an over packer. FINALLY after 28 years of marriage DH has surrendered and said that as long as he could pick it up (the suitcase) I could pack it.

First cruise I WAAAAAAAY over packed, 2nd was better but still too much. Booked for our 3rd.....just have to wait and see.:rolleyes:

I don’t think I over pack. But you tell me.:)

2 outfits for everyday plus 2 extra for the formal nights, 4 bathing suits one for each port and one for the ship’s pools. But I do pack a pair of shoes for every outfit plus water shoes and house sandals. The rest is as follows:

Digital Camera

Underwater Camera

Binoculars

Battery charger

Alarm Clock

Beach Bag & Waterproof bag for cam

Folding small ice cooler for tours

Wine Beer 7-up Bottle of Crown:eek:

Sun block & Sun protector

Bug repellant (a must)

Snorkel gear

Extension cord

Toiletries and fashion jewelry

Hair dryer/curling iron

Medications/first aid kit/benadryl

Walkie Talkies

Zip Lock bags (money, cell etc.)

Shoe powder

String and clothes pins to hang wet bathing suits

Water bottle

Business cards to give to new friends:cool:

Dish soap to wash DH’s big cup

Steamer for clothes

One dollar bills for tipping on tours

Pup-up hamper for dirty clothes

Sticky notes for the steward (ice, pillows, blankets etc.)

Highlighter to mark the daily activities

My DH packs the same way except he only takes 3 pairs of shoes including the house shoes.

We carry 2 25” rolling suit cases one for each and the garment bag plus a rolling backpack that we use for the excursions.

Adventurous - I feel a little better about all this stuff I have gotten for our first cruise - not to mention the new 29" pullman - to match our other one - one apiece -plus carry on's - but I was beginning to think everything wouldn't fit - I think I will be ok.

Happy KS - someday I hope to be like you - maybe after I get it out of my system this first time I will be able to leave a lot behind.

Have a ways to go - hope I don't buy too much more -

I too overpack, however a good way to make you think twice is when you arrive at the airport (as I did last cruise) and they charge you extra for each bag because they are over the limit. Its not just the cost, but the look for the DH and the agent. Then when you get the question, - cant you repack into another bag . . . like it didnt take 14 years to make those shoes fit stratigically into such a small space with all the other stuff.

Hubby solved our overpacking problem - just pack what I can't do without and buy new as we need it - have picked up many cute "island" outfits this way that I have enjoyed at home. Formal nights are a different story - if it's a 2 night formal affair I always pack for 4 nights - just so I have a choice - it's easy for hubby, one tux - 2 shirts - gents have it so easy. I never know what kind of mood I'll be in hence the extra formals...

l am also an overpacker!! Soon to be an ex-overpacker (I hope). On our last cruise (12 night MED) I packed 8 suitcases and 4 carry-ons for the 4 of us. It cost me a fortune. I had to pay for 2 cabs instead of one because of all the extra luggage and we stopped in London for a few days and stayed in a B&B. Our room was on the 4th floor and there were no lifts!!! It was brutal - never again:D .

Carole

I also share this problem, I like to have choices when I am away. My husband has a fit all the time. Oh well .......

Mine too! We are on the Mariner on 8/28 and he is flipping out over my shoes. Hey, one can never have too many shoes!

I would love to become a Former overpacker and I've tried, just can't do it. Daughter and I have had to pay extra for our overweight luggage AND we have had to take 2 taxis for the 4 of us more than once!!!!!!!!! I envy those people walking on the plane without a carryon that JUST falls in under the size limits and I fear the day I will be asked to check my travel purse as luggage!!!!!

I use to be The Overpack Queen! I took everything including the kitchen sink, not anymore. Now I never pack an outfit for sea days, I spend most of the day at the pool anyway. I pack dark colored shorts/carpi's that ll can be worn more than once, just a different top each day. For the evenings black slacks/skirts go a long way with dressier tops for each night.

So now I "take away half the clothes and double the money!!! " :D :D

But shoes are a different story!!! :D

I don't think overpacking is that big of a problem as long as your suitcase is not too heavy. I like to have pretty much my whole wardrobe at my disposal as I am rather spontaneous with how I dress. Picking out every day's outfits ahead of time would drive me crazy. When people say, bring half the clothes, I don't understand. So what if you don't wear half of it? At you know you COULD have!

I've been told I resemble Hannibal crossing the Alps into Europe when I go away for the weekend. :D I wouldn't sweat it. When everyone else is washing out their socks on the last day of the cruise because they miscounted all us overpackers will be laughing up our sleeves. ;)

Don't wear socks on a cruise! and I always take enough underwear for the week. It always cracks me up when I see people post they cut back on panties to save packing room. 14 pair of panties = perhaps the size of one shirt for me (packed in ziplocs with the air squeezed out). So, nope, no laundry hanging out in our cabin. OK, maybe a bra or 2. DH takes enough socks for the week.

I have actually read that some people take their oldest underwear and discard it as they go. Gross. I guess I get the heebie jeebies about holey underwear, one hole and they're in the trash:rolleyes: so none of mine get that way. They must have huge underpants to be able to save any room at all!

BTW, I'm the light packer, DH would take his whole closet if I let him. I've started making him a list of how much he can take and I have to be very firm with him :D .

Those of you who overpack, just remember that your suitcases are bound to get the roughest handling (not that they all don't:mad: ) but the heaviest bags are mis-treated more often. They don't lift them and stack, they push them around and toss them end over end! I heard this from a former baggage handler.

Archived