Dive computers in carry-ons and airport security

IdRathrBCruzn

They frequently check ours out in our carry-on after they've scanned it, but never any real problem. Although we have tons of divers in the area, some of the security guys are totally unfamilar with regs & gauges. We've never had any serious problem getting thru quickly.

I used to carry on my regs, camera,lights, and computers, and have never had a problem. Now I pack everything I can that will make the luggage weight limit except my dive computer and my camera.

I pack my dive computer, camera, strobe, and underwater case in my carry-on and have never had a problem.

My regulator goes into a rolling duffle bag that has all my other stuff; wetsuit, mask, snorkel, fins, BCD, along with all my wife's snorkeling gear. The bag is secured with TSA locks.

However, the bag always seems to be searched whenever we travel. Nothing's ever come up mssing but there always seems to be a TSA note inside. I've taken to writing a note about what's in the bag and placing it on top of my gear. I let them know the bag is packed to prevent damage to the items inside and ask them to please be careful and make sure everything is put back in order. Sometimes it appears as though they read the note and didn't move a thing. Other times I can see they went through everything.

Archived