Ever Been Bumped From A Handicap Cabin? Advice Needed!

surfjock27

Firstly, thanks an advance to anyone who replies!

There are three of us booked on the Breeze for November 8th (46 days, but who's counting?!)

On all of my past cruises I have booked a balcony for a little more breathing room.

This cruise however, we decided to just do an interior because we never really utilized the balcony, so we booked cabin 9437 on the Vista deck.

At the time it was the closest to the middle and Lido, in our price range.

Over the last few months my anxiety about the cabin has fluctuated because I like the thought of light, air, etc.

This morning I was doing a mock booking to check cruise rates for a possible price drop and noticed a 4J cabin (10202).

It's in a smaller, quieter hallway, at the front of the ship.

It's 5 steps from the "secret balcony", is a slightly larger cabin and has a window (which isn't private).

Perfect for three of us with the size, it has my light and we essentially have a balcony. ;)

I called this morning to switch cabins and was told there was a $65 up charge for the cabin, perfect.

I was then told that the cabin is handicap accessible and if need be, we can be moved from the cabin.

She told me that they'd move us into another 4J cabin, but there are none available so they'd have to upgrade us to another cabin, if it came to that.

I paid the $64 difference in price and upgraded.

After hanging up, I am starting to think "what if?".

Has anyone experienced this before?

She told me that 10202 was the last available handicap cabin so the chances of us getting bumped are higher then normal.

The cruise is at 90% capacity.

What happens if they bump us and there is no cabin for us to be moved to because it is full?

What if there is no higher category available, only lower categories?

Did I make a mistake?

Don't think you made a mistake. I have to have the H/C cabin but at 46 days most needing it would have already booked - more like months and months ahead. IF they move you it would be to that category or higher. We couldn't get the 4J H/C originally, and that was 13 MONTHS out, and had to take another H/C cabin on same deck. Then when I was talking with Carnival they told me a 4J was available and I moved to it. Since I know I would not use a balcony very much, if at all, the idea of having the window and availability of that outside deck is nice. ENJOY YOUR CRUISE.

Edited by Swampbaby

My nephew and son were bumped from the HDCP cabin. When we booked it was the only Int directly across from a balcony, on the lido deck, so we took it. Somehow they moved to another deck. :eek: No one even called to tell me, I happened to find out when checking the booking. when I called CCL, they still weren't able to find an int directly across or within 3 doors of an avail lido deck, balcony cabin so the kids were moved back to the room. I didn't get a sense that the room was booked by a person need HDCP features, just that they were bumped.

In your case the 4J is the top most category of Interiors, so if you have to be moved it would be to a balcony, BUT that balcony could be anywhere on the ship.

One thing I have read about these cabins is that the beds are not able to move together like Queen/King style. You may want to check and see.

One thing I have read about these cabins is that the beds are not able to move together like Queen/King style. You may want to check and see.

The particular cabin the OP booked does have beds that make the Queen/King style. In fact, all the H/C 4J rooms on that deck they make the larger bed.

Unfortunately the cabin w have on the Sunshine does not, but it's the end on deck 7.

17 months ago I booked a Spa HC corner cabin for the first time for my upcoming cruise. A month before my cruise I got a call asking if I need the modified cabin since they noticed I had booked them several times (this would have been 4 in a row).

When I said I did not require a modified cabin, I was upgraded to a Spa Balcony cabin so that someone who needed it would get the modified HC cabin. My first balcony in about a decade, woohoo!!

I have heard that if you get bumped from an HC cabin that Carnival's policy is to upgrade (so you wouldn't be moved to an inside cabin) but I can only tell you it worked out for me! :)

17 months ago I booked a Spa HC corner cabin for the first time for my upcoming cruise. A month before my cruise I got a call asking if I need the modified cabin since they noticed I had booked them several times (this would have been 4 in a row).

When I said I did not require a modified cabin, I was upgraded to a Spa Balcony cabin so that someone who needed it would get the modified HC cabin. My first balcony in about a decade, woohoo!!

I have heard that if you get bumped from an HC cabin that Carnival's policy is to upgrade (so you wouldn't be moved to an inside cabin) but I can only tell you it worked out for me! :)

We love the Spa Balconies. We had one on the Dream 2 years ago and fell in love!

The downside is, we only used the balcony itself maybe 20 minutes the whole time, but always used the spa showers, pool, etc.

I'm glad it worked out for you. :)

If bumped you will be move to an equal or higher category but could be anywhere on the ship.

We did get one once by accident actually (requested an upgrade when prices went down and didnt realize it was a H/C until we got on the ship.

Huge bathroom.

You don't NEED an accessible cabin but you book one anyway? :rolleyes:

I have moved to a HC cabin several times. Once Carnival puts them in general inventory and opens them up for anyone to book. Carnival only does this to fill the unsold rooms, if you notice HC cabins are hardly ever open for booking lets say a year out, but if you look 30 to 60 days out you might find one to book. Carnival holds them until then, but at some point Carnival has to fill the cabin so they will offer the unsold HC to anyone. The risk you do take is that if someone contacts special needs dept they may bump you. I have never been moved out of one but would understand if I did have to move I would never want to keep someone who needed a HC cabin from having one.

Not true. If there is another stnd cabin in your category, you will be moved to it.

You don't NEED an accessible cabin but you book one anyway? :rolleyes:

Why would you be so selfish to purposely book a HC and not need it... ?? I hope you never need it but beware of Karma

And to the OP, I will tell you that 2 weeks before one of our cruises, my Mom and I did bump someone from the HC Cabin... My PVP put us on hold to call Special Needs Dept to see if the passenger in this cabin needed it, found out they didn't and moved them out and Mom and I in... So, it can and does happen.

Not true. If there is another stnd cabin in your category, you will be moved to it.

That's why I said,"I have heard", and "but I can only tell you it worked out for me!" :)

With 4J's it's just not very likely since there aren't that many to begin with.

Why would you be so selfish to purposely book a HC and not need it... ?? I hope you never need it but beware of Karma

And to the OP, I will tell you that 2 weeks before one of our cruises, my Mom and I did bump someone from the HC Cabin... My PVP put us on hold to call Special Needs Dept to see if the passenger in this cabin needed it, found out they didn't and moved them out and Mom and I in... So, it can and does happen.

I booked my son and nephew in a HC cabin because it was the only one available in the location we wanted. If it was needed by someone when they were bumped, we would discuss the options & understandably move.

However, how can YOU book a cabin 2 weeks before a cruise and expect it to just be vacant for you? That's a bit selfish on your part, don't you think?:confused:

Isn't booking a HDCP cabin similar to using the HDCP toilet? If it's vacant I can use it, but if I am already in it. how can you just knock on the stall and demand someone to come out??

Edited by Herbaltees

I booked my son and nephew in a HC cabin because it was the only one available in the location we wanted. If it was needed by someone when they were bumped, we would discuss the options & understandably move.

However, how can YOU book a cabin 2 weeks before a cruise and expect it to just be vacant for you? That's a bit selfish on your part, don't you think?:confused:

Isn't booking a HDCP cabin similar to using the HDCP toilet? If it's vacant I can use it, but if I am already in it. how can you just knock on the stall and demand someone to come out??

To be quite honest, it wasnt us who did it.. It was our PVP... We have used him plently of times and he knows that my Mom NEEDS a Handicap Cabin and decided to check for us... But, I will tell you right out, that YES, if we choose to book 2 weeks out again, I will have him check to make sure that passengers who are booked in a HC cabin really need it...

In addition, I think your comparison about the toilet that you occupy for a short time and a cabin that you use/need for a week is ridiculous...

BTW, you can't "discuss the options"... If you can't prove you need the cabin, you will be moved...

Edited by Elaine515

To be quite honest, it wasnt us who did it.. It was our PVP... We have used him plently of times and he knows that my Mom NEEDS a Handicap Cabin and decided to check for us... But, I will tell you right out, that YES, if we choose to book 2 weeks out again, I will have him check to make sure that passengers who are booked in a HC cabin really need it...

In addition, I think your comparison about the toilet that you occupy for a short time and a cabin that you use/need for a week is ridiculous...

BTW, you can't "discuss the options"... If you can't prove you need the cabin, you will be moved...

The highlighted part is NOT true. Have you ever been on the other end of the call when the person was moved? They have asked the person. It just so happens in my son's case, someone moved him w/o calling me.

Edited by Herbaltees

I paid the $64 difference in price and upgraded.

After hanging up, I am starting to think "what if?".

Has anyone experienced this before?

She told me that 10202 was the last available handicap cabin so the chances of us getting bumped are higher then normal.

The cruise is at 90% capacity.

What happens if they bump us and there is no cabin for us to be moved to because it is full?

What if there is no higher category available, only lower categories?

Did I make a mistake?

for this november... no you are good. They should not move you at all.

I dont know if these cabins are all the much bigger then a regular inside cabin-- your best bet was to take an oceanview cabin which is a lot bigger and you also get a sofa

Why are you blaming the poster? Carnival is the one that made it available for booking by the general public. You ought to tell them not to do it. Of course, if they can only put people needing an accessible cabin that particular cabin, then it will probably require a premium above and beyond what the rate otherwise would be.

Also, the handicap stall is a perfect example. It is designed for use by handicapped people, but it is still perfectly usable by the general public. You should allow a handicapped person to use it, but if it is unused it is open for anyone to use.

They ask if you need it. If you say yes they move on. At least that is my understanding. No proof required. (Not that I am condoning anyone taking a HC that doesn't need it, I wouldn't take one on a bet.)

Why are you blaming the poster? Carnival is the one that made it available for booking by the general public. You ought to tell them not to do it. Of course, if they can only put people needing an accessible cabin that particular cabin, then it will probably require a premium above and beyond what the rate otherwise would be.

Also, the handicap stall is a perfect example. It is designed for use by handicapped people, but it is still perfectly usable by the general public. You should allow a handicapped person to use it, but if it is unused it is open for anyone to use.

You make a good point here. The goal of carnival is to sell out each ship. They can not have every HDCP cabin remain vacant until someone who needs its features request its. Especially, if ppl are not going to book until 2 wks before it sails. If they did, I'm sure there would some sort of way they would need to account for that, higher pricing being one of them. (Although, I think that may be illegal. ;))

They ask if you need it. If you say yes they move on.

they are not allowed to ask you that by law. Im surprised to hear that.

I do know if you do not have a letter on file-- then you can be bumped with no notification.

we bumped someone out of the 4J - deck 7 a few years back-- and they were bumped to deck 3. How do I know? his luggage came to our room with the room number and the cabin steward came to collect it. We asked = he said (which i dont think he shoulda done but----