Question for folks who've sailed around Japan in July/August

shepp

I'm booked for 17 days on the Diamond starting in mid-July of next year, right after the theoretical end of the rainy season. I have frequent-flier flights set, even booked a hotel near Tokyo DisneySea. But lately I've been reading about heat and humidity, and am having Serious Second Thoughts. (Actually, kind of wishing I'd booked a May b2b, but…bygones.) I talked to a friend who'd been on a similar itinerary last year, and she said the weather was hot in Kyoto, otherwise OK. And she loved the cruise. But she lives in a place where it was a mere 83 today, and I'm in San Francisco, where today's high of 71 feels warm to me. And at this point, the only non-refundable expense would be to redeposit miles.

I know that weather is aways iffy. But for those of you who've sailed Princess in late summer, how bad/good/whatever was it? And did you like the cruise?

We started our trip on July 1 in Tokyo for seven days pre-cruise - it drizzled mostly every day and this kept the temperature a bit cooler, maybe ~20C.

Once we started the cruise, the weather improved and in some places, Nagasaki for one, it was stifling hot and humid at 36C. I'm not used to that coming from Canada! However, we survived and used umbrellas for the sun. We all bought and carried Japanese fans. Not every port was that hot.

We did three different itineraries on the Diamond. The last one, around Hokkaido, more north, it was cooler, on average 23C, and sunny and pleasant.

We loved the Japanese experience! And I'd love to go back to Japan to explore more.

Cheers.

I used to spend a lot of time in Tokyo for work (live in Seattle). I would never, by choice, go in June, July, or Aug!

Which, regrettably, covers almost the entire 2015 Japanese cruise season: the first cruise sets sail May 15, the last finishes up at the end of August. Not much choice there.

I understand why Princess is aiming squarely at Japanese on summer vacation, but...

We stayed in Japan on Shikoku for the entire month of August visiting family. It was HOT and HUMID and uncomfortable unless you have air conditioning or a fan pointed at you while you are sitting still. The nights are warm too.........BUT it is Summer Matsuri Festival season and the evening celebrations with fireworks, food, music and dancing are not to be missed. I would do it again! The ship has air conditioning. We came from Oregon if that helps. We survived and had a great time. Daiso is the Japanese dollar store with really nice quality things and we stocked up on hand fans, long towels to put around your neck and there are vending machines with ice cold drinks on every street!

We stayed in Japan on Shikoku for the entire month of August visiting family. It was HOT and HUMID and uncomfortable unless you have air conditioning or a fan pointed at you while you are sitting still. The nights are warm too.........BUT it is Summer Matsuri Festival season and the evening celebrations with fireworks, food, music and dancing are not to be missed. I would do it again! The ship has air conditioning. We came from Oregon if that helps. We survived and had a great time. Daiso is the Japanese dollar store with really nice quality things and we stocked up on hand fans, long towels to put around your neck and there are vending machines with ice cold drinks on every street!

I talked to a friend who'd been on a similar itinerary last year, and she said the weather was hot in Kyoto, otherwise OK. And she loved the cruise. But she lives in a place where it was a mere 83 today, and I'm in San Francisco, where today's high of 71 feels warm to me.
Ahhhhhhhhh........ people from cool weather areas. My sister in law was moaning about the heat one time when visiting. It was maybe 82 degrees or so and she couldn't understand why we didn't have the air conditioner running. We told her it wouldn't matter as we never turn it below 82 anyway. She was totally blown away a while later when on the phone and we said we had the A/C off and the doors and windows open in the evening. We told her it was 94 degrees out but "it isn't a hot 94". :)

Fortunately we don't have humidity to deal with. Since you're from SF the combination of heat and humidity might be pretty tough for you to take but you are visiting Japan so, if you want to visit there on a cruise ship, it sounds as though you will need to just suck it up and deal with the heat and humidity.

Don't let that one aspect of things ruin your cruise. Have a wonderful time and see someplace very different from home. I'm guessing it will be well worth while.

Don't let that one aspect of things ruin your cruise. Have a wonderful time and see someplace very different from home. I'm guessing it will be well worth while.

Well, of course I won't let heat ruin things. I'm not as spoiled as I sound. I've sweltered through South Indian temples, sweltered in an Amazonian jungle lodge without electricity…I guess I can swelter at Tokyo DisneySea too. I do find it disappointing that Princess has cut back on its Japan dates for next year, doing away with this year's fall sailings. But hey, if I'd booked the May sailings, I would have missed out on my annual early-summer roller coaster trip…so it's all good. :)

2014, July 5 to July 8, Tokyo stay, I'd say fresh, with rain on 7 July but by no means uncomfortable and not hot.

July 8 to July 17, Diamond Princess cruise, main comment in cruise log is "overcast" and that was the case such that our balcony was little used.

Little opportunity for my wife to sunbathe and I was a tad disappointed because I like heat and can easily tolerate high humidity.

Yeah don't get me wrong - I'd still go on a cruise in Japan in July/Aug as its very different to having to work there in a suit and tie versus my normal jeans/t-shirt work attire!

The heat/humidity would be "damn hot" but manageable in vacation clothes.

Well actually thinking about it given radiation concerns I'm not sure I would go but yes ymmv there!

What sort of weather can I expect in October?

For the two weeks I spent in the Awaji-Osaka-Tokyo-Motegi areas in Ocober, 2012, the temperatures were identical to Brisbane at the same time.

So dress was shorts, polo shirts and Akubra-style hat - glad I didn't leave the hat at home! If you're sun sensitive long sleeves may be the go. On the last day, there was a very heavy, Brissie-style downpour, so brolly was required.

BTW, absolutely loved Japan and the people and have no qualms about returning some day. Maybe around plum and cherry blossom time, which I think is May??

HTHS

Edited by Spicy Red
Punctuation.